Evening Activities for 4 year old - shows?

my2sons

We're taking the Dawn Princess to Alaska - if I read the kids club info right, it closes at 5pm on port days (4/7). Having never been on a cruise before, I don't really know what to expect for evening entertainment - is any of it appropriate for or open to kids?

I've been on the Dawn, though not with kids, but I'm sure they will have some kind of kid's program in the evening--usually from about 7 until 10, with later kid sitting for a fee. Also, many ships let kids eat at the buffet with the counselors a couple of times--often on the formal nights and then go right to the kid's program.

The main shows--production shows--are suitable for kids as to content, but may or may not hold their interest. Some kids might enjoy the dancing , singing and costumes at 4, others might get very restless. One five-year-old granddaughter went to sleep and the six-year-old begged to go back to Camp Carnival last year. However, it happened to be a pretty boring show! We didn't enjoy it much either.

The other, 'variety' style acts are fairly clean during the early evening and some kids might like the juggler, magicians, etc. The late-night shows are often adult, as to language, humor, etc.

I have a copy of a daily for the Island Princess and the day there were in Ketchikan, it lists as follows:

Fun Zone and Off Limits Hours

2 pm - 5 pm & 7 pm - 1 am Off Limitis Teen Activities

8 am - 1 pm Port Day Supervision (for pre-booked 3 - 12's)

2 pm - 5 pm & 7 pm - 10 pm Fune Zone Activities

10 pm - 1 am Late Nite Baby-sitting (for pre-booked 3 - 12's)

I usually change my kids (3 and 5) into PJs and brushed their teeth before we go to the theatre. We would sit in the back, near the isle for easier "escape". Most of the time, the kids would fall asleep in our arms when it's past their bedtime. But if the show is good, they may watch it. However, there were times when they didn't want to be there, then we would leave as soon as they start to make any kind of noises.

You can also pack a portable DVD players and the kids can watch their favorite DVDs when you plug the DVD player into the TV in the cabin.

The portable DVD player is really a lifesaver, especially during dinners in the dining room. When the adults haven't finished their meals, but the kids are clearly done, we whip out the DVD player and they will sit there and watch an hour of their favorite DVDs without any hassle.

We just finished our Alaska cruise aboard Radiance this morning. We travelled with our 5 year old and 7 year old. We know they have very short attention spans--especially close to bedtime. So here's another strategy to consider:

1. Eat dinner early seating (on Radiance, this was 6 pm)

2. Go to the early 7:30 pm show intended for the late dinner seating crowd but go late.

3. Since dinner didn't usually conclude until after 8 pm, we would basically catch the last 1/2 or 1/3 of the show.

Our kids enjoyed each show and it ended just before they would usually get antsy or bored. And, if the adults really liked it, one of you can still come back and see it in its entirety at the second, late show.

Archived