Mexican Riviera RCI Cruise - Excursion Plan Advice

LA-Mom

Hi All:

I am a new member today and have found loads of great info.:D Based on the postings here and on Google Groups, I am formulating a travel plan for my family's cruise in December 2006. I will be traveling with my husband, we are both 40, and with our two girls, 8 and 5. We all like to be active, and my husband and I do not shop much or drink.

We traveled to Cancun and Playa Del Carmen last year and stayed at hotels. In December 2002, we took a short Canival Cruise to Ensenada. This is our first time to the Mexican Riviera and a longer 7 day cruise. We will be on RCI Vision of the Seas. I have some experience from last year negotiating with locals for activities so I am looking forward to booking my own excursions for this trip. It seems like I can save money and get a better experience.

So far I am leaning towards this based on what everyone is saying:

Cabo (Tue 10:30-6:00) - Snorkeling (trying to get more info on whether to go to Santa Maria or Chileno Bay and who to go with) or negotiate for boat ride and visit Finisterra.

Mazatlan (Wed 8:00-5:30) - Randi's Horses and maybe a little shopping at the end of the day at Golden Zone or Port area.

Puerto (Thu 8:00am-11:00pm) - Canopy Tours De Los Veranos and maybe Dolphin Kids if we can fit it in. Kids missed out on Dolphins on last year's Mexico trip.

Here are my questions/concerns:

I don't want to leave my 5 year stuck on the boat but I am not sure if she will be allowed to do these activities. For the Canopy Tour she can not ride the ziplines, so can one parent stay with her while the other parent does the activity and then trade off? In other words, can we split the group while we are there and still be able to do everything?

Does she get her own horse, share one with a parent, or is she too young to ride at all?

We have flexible travel insurance separate from the cruise line through Vacations To Go. If we end up cancelling near the sail date, has anyone had a problem with refunds from Canopy Tours De Los Veranos?

Should I book now since these sound like some of the most popular excursions?

Does anyone have any advice that I should be aware of before I make these plans?

Any other advice about Mexican Riviera cruise on Vision of the Seas with kids this age?

Thanks for any guidance you may have to offer.

You could split your group at the Canopy Tour, because the tours go six times a day, but you'd have to stay with the group, so book two separate times - you may just have to wait a bit in between.

Los Veranos will issue you a refund but if you book directly through them, the cancellation policy is as follows:

• 30 days before canopy tour date - 75% refund

• 15 days prior to canopy tour date - 50% refund

• 14 days or less to canopy tour date - No refund

• No shows or late arrivals are charged in full

Note that you can find better cancellation policies by booking this tour through other agencies - most will offer you a full refund at least up until 48 hours in advance.

The tours you've mentioned are among the most popular - by booking now you not only secure your spot but also protect yourself against any coming price increases (normally prices drop in the summer and raise again in the fall).

In Cabo, you might check out the Buccaneer Queen for snorkeling at Santa Maria Cove - the pirate theme will probably be fun for the kids.

You can probably work it so you get to do both the dolphins and the Canopy Tour depending on your schedule - ask the agency you choose to try to make it happen for you.

Archived