World Cruise?

Luis

My mother and her brother went on one in 1998 on the old Island Princess. They were actually in an inside cabin. She still talks about it and would do it again in a minute! They met many wonderful people and still correspond with them. It was a much older crowd. I think the average age onboard was 77. The cruise they were on was a straight 63 days, San Francisco to Rome. It was not segmented. I think that's good because you don't have passengers coming and going at every port. The one coming up in 2008 is 108 days but is segmented. Also the ones that P&O have are also segmented.

Of their 63 days they missed the Philipines due to stormy weather and they missed the Holy Land due to the political situation. Because of missing the Philipines they arrived in Hong Kong earlier so got to stay there a day longer. Everyone was happy about that. They also substituted Cypress for the Holy Land. If you have any specific questions I'd be happy to ask her for you.

My mother and her brother went on one in 1998 on the old Island Princess. They were actually in an inside cabin. She still talks about it and would do it again in a minute! They met many wonderful people and still correspond with them. It was a much older crowd. I think the average age onboard was 77. The cruise they were on was a straight 63 days, San Francisco to Rome. It was not segmented. I think that's good because you don't have passengers coming and going at every port. The one coming up in 2008 is 108 days but is segmented. Also the ones that P&O have are also segmented.

Of their 63 days they missed the Philipines due to stormy weather and they missed the Holy Land due to the political situation. Because of missing the Philipines they arrived in Hong Kong earlier so got to stay there a day longer. Everyone was happy about that. They also substituted Cypress for the Holy Land. If you have any specific questions I'd be happy to ask her for you.

FYI, the Pacific Princess World Cruise on Jan 10, 2008 is 102 days and is NOT segmented....You can only book the 102 days in full or nothing at all.

Tony

:cool: :eek: :cool:

Assume segments will be available nearer the time. Crystal had a World cruise a couple of years ago, ship could accomodate 900+ passengers, but only 100 booked for the World cruise.

They sold segments and I booked the last segment, would never do it again,

too much distinction between the 100 World Cruisers and the 200 doing the segment - not only from the passengers but also from the staff.

Turned away from a table in the bar , "we have a group of World Cruisers who like to sit there" Left sitting at her desk by the future Cruise Consultant whilst I was trying to book a future cruise, because two World Cruisers wanted to speak to her "NOW".

In the dining room it was open seating for every meal because of only 300 passengers on board, get there at 7p.m- order from the menu and you would be told "That will not be available until 8p.m when the World Cruisers dine"

The cost of the segment was in fact higher per day for me than for a World cruiser, but I was treated like a pariah because I was only doing 24 days.

Never again. Now I do my 24-31 days on regular cruises, or on B2B cruises

I apologize. :o I apparently misspoke. I thought I had heard it was to be segmented, or else I assumed that anything that long would have to be segmented. In any event, it's too pricey for me. I would like to do it someday!;)

Just had to share ... my grandmother and 3 of her friends all in their 70s took a round the world cruise back in the early 1960s. The ship left from Vancouver BC and went thru the Panama Canal, Australia, Hong Kong, Suez Canal, Eqypt, Italy, France, England ... and so many other places.

The ship was actually a freighter that took a few passengers. The 4 ladies shared a small room with 2 sets of bunk beds built into the walls. The "younger" two got the upper bunks (again, all were in their 70s). The bathrooms and the showers were down the hall. There were gone for 90 days.

What a wonderful time they all had. Such an adventure. My grandma always wanted to do the trip again, but in the opposite direction. She never got the chance, but she sure did have some fantastic stories to tell us about the trip.

I think a world cruise would be a fantastic opportunity. I love to cruise (think it was inherited from my grandma ... LOL). It might be a bit hard tho to be away from family & friends for a long period, but again what an opportunity. You know you would have good food, good entertainment, a good bed etc.

Archived