How do you snorkel with a moustache?

Cruising Khi

My dad tried snorkeling on his cruise last year, but he has a moustache, so the mask wouldn't fit correctly around the bottom of his nose, and he couldn't snorkel. He really would like to try snorkeling on our cruise this year. Does anyone have any suggestions on how a man with a moustache can wear a mask? I suggested that he shave his moustache off, but after having it for over 20 years, I think he is rather attached to it!

I also, have a moustache and shave just a little under my nose and then use vaseline. I also have a purge type mask which allows me to hold the mask tight to my face and blow the water out through the purge valve next to my nose.

I have to mention that since I scuba dive, water pressure helps a lot. I don't really know how all this would help for snorkeling since I don't do that.

When I ordered my prescription mask from Snorkel Mart, one of the options was to get a mask with something called a purge valve, which is supposed to be good for folks with moustaches. Also, there were some oversized masks that supposedly help. You might want to check out snorkelmart.com for those tips.

If one has a mask that fits, there will probably be no problem. I've had a mustache for some years and also dive. I've never had a problem.

When trying a mask in the store. Use the sniff test. That is, put the mask on, sniff a little thru your nose and see if the mask seals. A mask that fits your face should.

The first time I bought a mask for scuba, I tried a bunch of masks, turned out the cheapest in the dive shop fit best.

Thick mustache--ymmv

If one has a mask that fits, there will probably be no problem. I've had a mustache for some years and also dive. I've never had a problem.

When trying a mask in the store. Use the sniff test. That is, put the mask on, sniff a little thru your nose and see if the mask seals. A mask that fits your face should.

The first time I bought a mask for scuba, I tried a bunch of masks, turned out the cheapest in the dive shop fit best.

Thick mustache--ymmv

Thanks! This is the first time that I have read this. In all of my Internet research, I have only found the wax or Vaseline tip.

What does "ymmv" mean?

Thanks to everyone for your ideas! My dad is excited that he might be able to snorkel this time.

• 3 weeks later...

I purchased a tube of the stuff from the dive shop, shaved below my nose (do this several days before you travel so your skin gets conditioned! Remember to shave ther every day too.) and tried it out. Now, I got some water infiltration, but the dive shop guy told me a neat trick: push against the top portion of the mask and exhale through your nose: the air will push the water out of the bottom of the mask, as long as you're facing forward.

The shaving for a few days prior to using the mask tip is becuase I did this the vary day I got my stuff from the dive shop: Shaved, went to our pool, put the silicone stuff on the newly shaved area, put the mask on, tried it out for an hour or so. when I took the mask off, my newly-shaved area was enflamed and stung.

I did get leakage, and I wasn't going deep at all, so I must surmise that I didn't apply enough of the stuff to keep the seal in low waster pressures.

Never ever use Vaseline with any silicon product!:mad:

If you have problem with a leak due to a mustache then you have the wrong mask! However I do understand that many people use "Rental" masks and equipment and you can only use what they have. If that is the case then what you can use is food grade silicon lube (which is much the consistency of Vaseline) but has no petroleum products.

You can go into any local dive shop and ask for silicon lube, it come in various size containers, the small one would be enough for your use...

In case you want to know where I am coming from I am a Scuba instructor....

Brent

Never ever use Vaseline with any silicon product!:mad:

If you have problem with a leak due to a mustache then you have the wrong mask!

I got the same info about silicone grease from the dive shop where I purchased my mask (silicon). But the guy said I'd have to shave my upper-upper lip a bit and use the silicon greas. He also said that a small amount of water would seep in iover time. You say the exact oposite. No I'm not going to say a salesaman klnows more than an instructor, so I must be missing something here: are there special masks (or certain models) that work for people with mustaches? From what the saleguy said, unless you remove a substantial portion of your mustache, you'll always experience some water leakage.

One of my mask's I do not have to do anything to get a good seal, no triming, on silicon..... my other mask I do use silicon grease do to the way it seals. I have only ever trimmed my mustache once and it really did not work for me, but I know of other guy that is does work. It is one of those things that you have to figure out for yourself. I point I want to make is whatever you do don't use vasoline!

One of my mask's I do not have to do anything to get a good seal, no triming, on silicon..... my other mask I do use silicon grease do to the way it seals. I have only ever trimmed my mustache once and it really did not work for me, but I know of other guy that is does work. It is one of those things that you have to figure out for yourself. I point I want to make is whatever you do don't use vasoline!

Thanks for the reply - I knew about not using vaseline on silicon masks. Silicon degrades when in contact with petroleum products, like vaseline (so I've been told).

About one of your masks being able to keep the seal on your upper lip with a mustache: The design must be different from what I have (low-cost budget mask). I would be very curious to know the make & model of the mask that doesn't leak, or if you know of a picture of it, so I can look for one too. I think not having to shave and use silicon grease is quite a benefit: two fewer things in your way of fun!

Cheers,

Laurent

My DH has a moustache which is a cross between the one Tom Selleck had during the Magnum PI years and Sam Elliott. He ALWAYS has trouble with water seeping in when snorkeling.

You would think by now someone would have come up with a mask that works with a moustache.

I know he will not part with his (shave off). But then again I wouldn't want him too! :) Maybe next time he can try the silicone.

Thanks for the tips

CaribbeanCrazy

My two-cents worth....

Must be a lot of silicone salemen in the boards. :O) I just shave about 1/32 under my nose (just so it's even with the bottom of where my nose meets my face) and got a proper fitting mask and don't use any gels, seals or anything else. I get a good seal every time and people don't even notice my shave job. So my priority would be a good fitting mask (dive shops do have the best ones). I also don't know if it makes a difference but my mask adjusts from the back, not against the lens. This may make the fit a bit better as well (I believe it's an Oceanic). Anyway, like I said, my two cents worth.

Randall

Archived