UK airports on high alert

smeyer418

It's 9 am CDT so most of us have heard about the terrorists arrests in England. Although the airport restrictions will cause delays and aggrevation, they are for the safety of all.

I want to send my thanks and congratulations to the British officials who tracked this plan and acted to protect the citizens of the world.

[quote=cruisin' kathy

I want to send my thanks and congratulations to the British officials who tracked this plan and acted to protect the citizens of the world.

I want to second cruisin'kathy's thanks. It's a sad world for all of us who travel with worries like this. Well Done Britain....and thanks to all the other security personnel around the world who work hard to protect all of us.

And to all of you who have upcoming travel plans during this time of heightened alerts I wish you safe journeys coming and going.

Penny

I am reminded of the comments of the Irish Republican Army (Terrorists to us, "freedom fighters" to some in the US prior to 9/11, and quite a few still at large as the Senate will not ratify the US's side of an extradition treaty)

'You have to be lucky always - we only have to be lucky once'

- so while today's news may be encouraging, let us not forget how few arrested for terrorism have been brought to trial, let alone convicted. And while Govt officials play critical roles in this, it was Richard Reid's fellow passengers and the crew and the crew and passengers of United 93 who protected the rest of us from greater catastrophe......

.....transatlantic crossings anyone.....if they can crank the QE2 up to 5 nighters again....it might be faster than queuing at Heathrow......

Peter

I agree with all that has been said,thank god and whoever for the insight to track these people.I hate flying,not because I am frightened of crashing ,but all the airport delays and other things. Now ,its so important for all of us to be observant,report those around you who you suspect and if you are wrong they will not mind.Safe journeys everyone,thank you Cunard for departing from Southampton on the 16 th October.xx and anytime.!!!!!

Just wanted to let you know,after some of the replys ,my dad and I are off to Ireland :) ,his home land next week,to visit relatives,I lost my mum this year and it has been very hard for us both,so we are having a few weeks in the land of his birth.Still scared of flying but will go for my wonderful dad.Hope the flight will not be delayed,he is so looking forward too it.

Kathie x

Because of these airport delays and security fears I am trying to get on the QM2 westbound tomorrow August 11, though they are telling me it is soldout and the waitlist is closed because it is so long already, and if it were to work it would be an 11th hour call.

Looks like I will have to stick to the plane.

Just wanted to let you know,after some of the replys ,my dad and I are off to Ireland :) ,his home land next week,to visit relatives,I lost my mum this year and it has been very hard for us both,so we are having a few weeks in the land of his birth.Still scared of flying but will go for my wonderful dad.Hope the flight will not be delayed,he is so looking forward too it.

Kathie x

Kathie,

My thoughts and sympathies are with youl.

Although I have always tried to be understanding of what those who have suffered through a loss are going through, there is nothing like experiencing it for yourself to REALLY make you iunderstand. I got a call today from an old friend who lost his wife suddenly two years ago. He is just now reaching that point where he is getting used to life without her, and even then, it still hits him. My thoughs are with you, as I know that you are still thinking of your mum, and that every so often, something out of the blue that would seem totally unrelated will send you off in wild flights of fancy (or maybe I should say, not so fancy)

Much love and peace to you.

Karie,

Who understands.

Because of these airport delays and security fears I am trying to get on the QM2 westbound tomorrow August 11, though they are telling me it is soldout and the waitlist is closed because it is so long already, and if it were to work it would be an 11th hour call.

Looks like I will have to stick to the plane.

Wanted to add--- I wonder if year-round transatlantic services will be around the corner given a possible uptick in demand for non-air travel modes of transport -- it sure would be a nice if Cunard's QM2 were dedicated to that service. It would be so lovely to know that every few days an ocean liner would be departing for New York from Southampton. or vice-versa. Makes me think back to the pre and post WWII times when these services were quite common.

I think this should be a wake up call (another one) not only for airport security but for ships as well.

Last month on a Discovery criuse to Norway we walked on board at every port without any security checks except for carding in. Bags, cameras even a cardboard box was brought aboard without any checks at all.

Don't think it is just aircraft at risk.

David.

Last month on a Discovery cruise to Norway we walked on board at every port without any security checks except for carding in.

I'm pleased that's not a complaint that can be levelled at Cunard - There is normally both a port check on all baggage taken on board and also their own check.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Flew over on the 22nd of Dec Charlotte to London direct. Seemed like 95% of the passengers onboard the flight were EU residents returning home for holidays (makes sense). We disembarked off the plane and the line was split for immigration. Given the above ratio I was one of 3 or 4 in the non-EU line and thus when I arrived at the checkout I simply walked up to the counter, said a few things, stamped my passport, and moved on in less than 5 minutes literally. If UK airports are tight no more so than before.

However I am an efficient traveller. I dot my i's cross my t's when I leave the house so I don't typically have problems. The cowboys boots were ruled out before I even left the house.

Hooked cruiser

You and me both. We have travelled many times to the US both for land based vacations, cruises (Lots) and to visit family. The last time we went through Miami we were appalled at the 'welcome' by immigration. This is a visitors first point of contact and should be welcoming. I would be so embarrassed if our immigration treated visitors to our country like that. They were rude verging on abusive ( and we had our documentation correct !) God help those who got in wrong. For a state that thrives on tourism they do a pretty good job of putting people off.

Before anyone tells me they are only doing their job - I know the importance of immigration - however this had nothing to do with doing the job, more about intimidation.

And high alerts today had nothing whatsoever to do with terrorists, but rather with Hurricane Force winds. 25 dead, a crane toppled in the Netherlands, the high speed trained stopped due to debris on the tracks, a child killed by a falling brick, windos and other materials torn out of buildings, the roof at Lord's cricket field torn off,

I hope all of our good freinds are okay and out of harms way.

I just opened my email to pictures of the ice coating a friend's backyard in Tulsa, Oklahoma- for three days now!

Wow!

Karie,

who is going to brave the snow to go out for Italian tonight before driving to Maine tomorrow.

Archived