passports for childrens ID

minnie75kids

My kids both have passports.

This is all i need to bring to get onboard correct. We are traveling all together, family of 4.

I saw a thread here about someone also bringing along BC's but that really doesn't make any sense to me as a passport should be sufficient.

Has anyone ever had to show more than a passport to get onboard?

By the way we are cruising NCL Majesty to bermuda.

Thanks!

Thank you so much! that is what we thought too, but then I read a thread here somewhere that said somebody was bringing passports and bc, which seemed to be crazy to me. I guess it was in case they had to prove they were the childs parents, but we all have the same name so I think it won't be an issue.

Thanks again!

Thank you so much! that is what we thought too, but then I read a thread here somewhere that said somebody was bringing passports and bc, which seemed to be crazy to me. I guess it was in case they had to prove they were the childs parents, but we all have the same name so I think it won't be an issue.

Thanks again!

I am just taking a guess with this. If a child is travelling with 1 parent, the other parent will need to prove parentage and perhaps BC is one way of proving parentage.

But a passport is all you need for a child.

This may be a dumb question, but how do you go about getting a passport? I really do not remeber the process as I got mine 8 years ago and I need to get them for my 2 kids for the Mexico cruise in March. My hubby needs one too.

Thanks!

Most larger post offices have passport agents - call ahead to make certain that yours does and when the folks who are able to do the passports are in. With the stricter regs for passports, more Post Offices are offering them.

The Web site has a good checklist of what you will need - generally both parents and the child needs to be present, but they have a listing of what to do if you can't all be present. Read through everything carefully - we did and had no problems renewing our DD's last year. The folks in front of us were throwing a hissy-fit because all of their apps were refused because they didn't have everything they needed (they took their own pics which did not conform to regs, were missing one kid's biological father's consent, and had a hospital copy of another kid's BC) - and of course they needed expedited service as well.

We had DD's pics taken at AAA (I've a membership so it was free) and they were great. Had both a registered copy of her BC and her expiring passport. DH, DD and I were all there (DD had the day off school, DH was staying home with her, and they picked me up at work for a late lunch). We were in and out in less than 15minutes (including the time in line waiting for the family in front of us to finish complaining!)

We take her passport with us whenever we go on a trip - even domestically. Don't really 'need' it, but since she's tall enough to be mistaken for 14, it is nice to have - once had one airline employee ask for her ID at check-in, gave her the passport and she apologized saying she didn't realize she was that young.

Post Office is definitely the way to go, but make sure you go to Walmart, K-Mart or something like that and get the pic done. The process was pretty smooth but I would defintely start now, with our first family cruise we rec'd our son's passport within the last week before travel, it was really cutting it close but the DOS was more than helpful with making sure we got it within 24 hours after the call for help. Start now to avoid and scares.:)

This is a very timely post to read, we have been TRYING to get a passport for my 11 month old as we leave for a cruise in Nov.

I suggest using the website (just google passport application) to fill out the passport, then you just print it out and take it to the post office. That part was easy. (after we realized that not every post office takes them, so check the website first)

AND - both parents have to be there (unless you sign some kind of affadavit)- a major pain for us because we both work full time far away from each other - so finally this past Saturday we cart the whole family to the post office - and guess what? They don't process passports on Saturdays! Only Mon- Fri! How ridiculous is that?? What is the difference if they take it on a Fri or Sat? I was NOT happy.

And, we had to try like 5 different places to get the picture taken because many places are weird about taking pictures of babies. One even tried for like 15 min but couldn't get one that would work (they expected him to sit still and look right in the camera for long periods of time - not working with an 11 month old!)

My plan at this point is to just write a letter saying I give permission (I think you can do this) and then have my husband do it.

This is a very timely post to read, we have been TRYING to get a passport for my 11 month old as we leave for a cruise in Nov.

I suggest using the website (just google passport application) to fill out the passport, then you just print it out and take it to the post office. That part was easy. (after we realized that not every post office takes them, so check the website first)

AND - both parents have to be there (unless you sign some kind of affadavit)- a major pain for us because we both work full time far away from each other - so finally this past Saturday we cart the whole family to the post office - and guess what? They don't process passports on Saturdays! Only Mon- Fri! How ridiculous is that?? What is the difference if they take it on a Fri or Sat? I was NOT happy.

And, we had to try like 5 different places to get the picture taken because many places are weird about taking pictures of babies. One even tried for like 15 min but couldn't get one that would work (they expected him to sit still and look right in the camera for long periods of time - not working with an 11 month old!)

My plan at this point is to just write a letter saying I give permission (I think you can do this) and then have my husband do it.

Getting a passport really isn't this difficult, if you do all of your homework in advance. Everything you need is on the governmental website that a previous poster mentioned, including the form that one parent signs AND has notarized in order to give permission that the other parent apply for a passport. You cannot just "write a letter."

If you are finding it challenging to have a child's picture taken, you need to call around to various places to see who guarantees their pictures. The Walgreens drug stores in our area will charge you once, but take it as many times as necessary to meet the passport requirements. They used to use a special passport photo camera, but are now using a digital camera which allows for a lot more manipulation of the size and location of the person's head.

I don't know any post offices in our area that accept passport applications on a Saturday. Of course, all you have to do is call your local post office and ask them both the days and times that they process applications. There is a specific individual or individuals that are trained to accept passport applications; it isn't just any random postal clerk. You will also need to be prepared to pay, so ask in advance what method of payment is required and how the payment is split up. When we applied for our two daughters' passports, we had to write a total of three checks - one for each passport and one to the post office for processing.

Don't forget to ask how long the passports will take so that you can be on the look out for them. We were told eight weeks, and reminded that the application instructions provided a phone number that we could call to check on the status. Also, we were told that if there are any problems with the applications and we get a letter about it, we should immediately take it up to the post office to get it resolved. (An additional processing fee does not apply.)

Just a quick note. If only one parent is going sometimes they require a note from the other parent giving permission. Also if the parents are divorced proof of custody is required. My 2 oldest are from my first marriage and I had to have copies of divorce order and custody order along with passport to cruise the bahamas. I have sole cusody but if the other parent has access a letter stating they give permission to travel is good to have just in case.

I guess the question would be how do they KNOW if you and your wife are the parents, or like in your case House if the kids are from a previous marriage?

My kids are me and my husbands so I don't forsee having any issues. But I guess I'm just curious how others deal with it that maybe are remarried?

Well, Mississippi Mom, I found the process confusing. Call me dumb I guess.

And as far as my coment about the "letter" - I was actually right - I pulled this off of the instructions -

"a notarized written statement with the same information on a sheet of paper from the non-appearing parent" - sounds like a letter to me!

It never occured to me that only "certain" postal clerks would take passport applications, nor that they wouldn't take them on Saturdays. I bet I'm not the only one who wouldn't think to check this.

- sounds like a letter to me!

Yes, it is "only" a letter, however I think the point being made is that:

"A notarized letter or document is certified by a notary public — a licensed public officer who serves as an impartial witness to the signing of documents and establishes the authenticity of the signatures. A notary's signature and seal is required to authenticate the signature on your letter or legal document." www.marquette.edu/registrar/how/notarized.shtml

So, yes, YOU, can write the letter, but it needs a notary public to make the letter "official". Your bank should be able to notorize this letter for you.

• 2 weeks later...

I was told that since my daughter's father was not cruising with us that he would have to write a letter & get it notarized that says she could travel with me in and out of the country.

Well, she never needed that letter or her birth cert. We went to Mexico, Jamaica, and Cayman Islands.. they never blinked an eye when we got off the ship.. and they always preached about having photo ID for getting on and off the ship, but they never asked anyone for it! But I took her passport and BC just incase because I didn't want any hold ups or problems. We just got back yesterday.

Archived