POA Virtual Cruise

gardencat

ALOOOHHAAA!

Jana,

Hawaii is more beuatiful than I EVER imiagined! The christening on Sunday was quite an affair; lots of dignitatries, a fly-over by two B-117 Stealth Bombers and fireworks as we departed Honolulu. The ship is quite beautiful and the all American crew is very friendly and they're really trying quite hard, that's not to say that they're not having their challenges. Food in the dining rooms is good, quite good in fact.

Spent two great days in Waikiki aqnd today we were in Kaui. Spent the day on a Zodiac rafting adventure; 8 hours on high speed zodiacs equipped to navy standards (minus the guns) and saw some of the most spectacular scenery in my life. We snorkeld, hiked through an ancient Hawaiian fishing village and a great lunch on the beach. The shore-ex staff is probably the one major standout on board, they jump through hoops to help with both shore-ex or touring on your own. And given the lines at the shore-ex desk, you'd think they were giving gold away!

They've done a really nice job on the ship itself, imparting it with the feel of a Hawaiian resort. Some of it could be considered 'over the top' or a little too bright, but I've found the Hawaiian decor to fit the ship's new role perfectly and is very cheerful.

The Hawaiian culture and people are incredible and as tacky as Waikiki is, the outlying areas of Oahu and what I've seen of Kaui are simply spectacular. We overnighted in Kaui last night and had a wonderful dinner at a former plantation house.

The ship and crew have a lot of potential; there's a palpable sense of pride and they're all working very hard. I've heard some grousing about some service and housekeeping issues, but I have yet to encounter any major problems or even minor nuisances for that matter.

All in all, a wonderful cruise and NCL has sure hit a home run with the new US-Flag venture. Of course, everyone is very excited that the Pride of America will begin service here next July and the Pride of Hawaii (sister of Norwegian Jewel) will arrive in 2006.

If I could figure out how to post photos from the internet cafe, I would, so those will have to wait. (PS--feel free to share with Cruise Critic Message Boards if you like)

Mahalo!

Jana, thanx for sharing this letter. the reviews are starting to sound a lot better now, and I'm sure if there are any inconvieniences on board, they can be overlooked. We were booked on the Pride of America for May 1, 2005, but because it won't be ready, will go on the Pride of Aloha instead. I'm sure any problems they are having will be worked out long before then, and we are getting excited already about what we know will be a great cruise. Have been to Hawaii twice before, but this will be the first time on a cruise ship. Thanks again to all of you who are sharing your experiences

Archived