From the TSA Website - Prohibited Items

Darcy03231

As I'm traveling in a few weeks I checked out the TSA website to see what now has to be in checked luggage. Since others seem to have questions too I though I'd post the list.

CAN BE CARRIED IN CHECKED LUGGAGE BUT NOT CARRY ON: no liquids or gels of any kind will be permitted in carry-on baggage. items must be in checked baggage. This includes all beverages, shampoo, suntan lotion, creams, tooth paste, hair gel, and other items of similar consistency (Exception: Baby formula and breast milk if a baby or small child is traveling; prescription medicine with a name that matches the passenger’s ticket; and insulin and essential other non-prescription medicines), knives (except for plastic and round bladed butter knives), box cutters, ice axes, ice picks, meat cutters, razor type blades, sabers, swords, baseball bats, cricket bats, golf clubs, bows and arrows, hockey sticks, lacrosse sticks, pool cues, spear guns, ski poles, ammunition, bb guns, compressed air guns, firearms, flare guns, gunpowder, gun lighters, parts of guns or firearms, pellet guns, starter pistols, realistic replicas of firearms, axes, hatchets, cattle prod, crowbars, hammers, drills, drill bits, saws, tools (greater than 7 inches in length), billy clubs, brass knuckles, black jacks, kubatons, mace/pepper spray, marital art weapons, night sticks, nunchakas, stun guns, shocking devices, throwing stars.

CANNOT BE CARRIED ON BOARD AT ALL: blasting caps, dynamite, fireworks, flares, hand grenades, plastic explosives, replicas of plastic explosives, aerosol (except for personal toiletries in limited quantities), fuels, gasoline, gas torches, lighter fluid, lighters (*All lighters are prohibited as carry-on items. Lighters without fuel are permitted in checked baggage. Lighters with fuel are prohibited in checked baggage, unless they adhere to DOT exemptions, which allows up to two fueled lighters if properly enclosed in a DOT approved case. If you are uncertain as to whether your lighter is prohibited, please refrain from bringing it to the airport. ), strike anywhere matches (Up to 4 books of safety (non-strike anywhere) matches are permitted as carry-on items, but all matches are prohibited in checked baggage), turpentine and paint thinner, realistic replicas of incendiaries, chlorine for pools and spas, compressed gas cylinders (including fire extinguishers), liquid bleach, spillable batteries (except those in wheelchairs), spray paint, and tear gas.

The TSA also recommends if you have any questions about what you can carry on you should contact your airline.

Hope this helps.

The stickied post discusses the newly banned liquids, not the other stuff. I didn't know about lighters being completely banned now. My mother smokes, so it affects her. I guess she'll have to pitch her lighter before we go through security and buy a new one when we get to Ft. Lauderdale. Then she'll have to do the same on the return trip. Ah, well; she can't smoke on the plane anyway, so it's just a slight inconveinience. For her, not for me; I'm a good girl, I am. :D

There goes our plan to buy a couple of cheap cases of Clorox in Mexico.

(Thank God we can still pick up some nice Cricket Bats though)

What I found absolutly astounding is they permit gunpowder in checked luggage, but god forbid you should pack a bic lighter. :confused:

The TSA is having a knee jerk reaction right now. This too will pass since passengers can now carry scissors and screw divers as long as the blade length is less than four inches which were band after 9/11.

It's a simple solution:

1. Put all carry ons with the other luggage under the plane.

2. Passengers will have to fly in their under wear from now on.

The TSA is having a knee jerk reaction right now. This too will pass since passengers can now carry scissors and screw divers as long as the blade length is less than four inches which were band after 9/11.

It's a simple solution:

If that's the case, I'm wearing my sunglasses on the plane! :eek: :D

It's a simple solution:

Naw, even in your underwear, you could still be concealing a "weapon". It's buck nekid or nuthin'. ;)

I agree with the knee jerk assessment, but that doesn't mean it will be rescinded. The lighter thing was a knee jerk reaction to 1 guy trying to set his shoes on fire, and it has yet to be lifted. :rolleyes:

Archived