Taxi Tours

CaptainKevin

Hi all,

Has anyone here rented one of the Bermuda "blue flag" tour taxis?

Did you reserve ahead of time, or just pick one out at the pier?

Also, any idea on strictness of needing a booster seat for a four year old in one of those taxis?

Thanks!

Kev

A taxi tour does not need to be reserved ahead of time. You can easily pick one up outside the terminal in Hamilton. I found this one a Bermuda website...http://bermuda-online.org/getround.htm

Children from birth to one year and up to 20 lbs in weight must be in a rear facing seat. Children from 30 lbs to 40 lbs must be in a forward-facing child seat. Children from 40 to 80 lbs must use a seat belt positioning device or booster seat. All children are safest in the back seat. The driver of the vehicle is legally responsible for ensuring compliance and may be fined for non-compliance, but the law does not seem to be clear on who must provide booster seats or special child seats for young children. To be on the safe side, parents using taxis for their young families should bring their own. If they do not, so as not to risk being liable by default, taxi drivers may not wish to take them.

Any taxi will give you a tour if they are availabe for...the rates are all the same.

There are some cabs that are handicap accessible and I think they are specially marked.but I'm not sure...There will be a line of cabs when you dock so you will have plenty to choose from...

Enjoy

Hello,

There are plenty of cabs available to rent for tours. The drivers are very well versed in local Bermudian history. In fact, according to the driver we had, it's a required part of the test to get a taxi license. Tell the driver what you'd like to see and you're off! Our group didn't want to see the usual tourist stops so we were taken a bit off the beaten path; a very pleasant trip and well worth the fare!

Enjoy!

Paula

Well, we just got back from Bermuda on the Explorer of the Seas. Thanks for the taxi tour answers from everyone!

After failing to confirm a taxi tour reservation with someone regularly recommended, we ended up simply asking the transportation captain at the head of the line of taxis for a tour.

He picked out a taxi van (new 6 passenger Nissan like many of them) a few back, with a very nice driver in traditional Bermuda clothing (shorts and high socks). The rate is $36 an hour. We did bring our own booster seat for our four year old.

We said we wanted to see the caverns (honestly, don't waste your time or money if you've ever been to any decent caverns elsewhere) and go all the way around from the Dockyard to St George. He asked if we were flexible on time since it would take more than the three hours we had thought. We said absolutely yes, please show us around. We especially were interested in seeing resorts, cottages, and B&Bs in case we came back by air one day.

Well, we ended up spending 6-1/2 hours with him! It was great. We went all over the place, and also spent about 1/2 hour swimming at Long Bay Beach before heading back to the ship for its sailing. He kept up a constant exchange of facts, history and local lore the whole time. We feel like we didn't miss a single special place, any secret alleys, or local hot spots.

Highly recommended to do a taxi tour this way, especially if you have four people like we did. A short 3 hour ship tour would've been $70 apiece. Our all day tour cost the same amount, even with a $50 tip! No contest, being able to stop and go as we wished!

A taxi tour does not need to be reserved ahead of time. You can easily pick one up outside the terminal in Hamilton. I found this one a Bermuda website...http://bermuda-online.org/getround.htm

Children from birth to one year and up to 20 lbs in weight must be in a rear facing seat. Children from 30 lbs to 40 lbs must be in a forward-facing child seat. Children from 40 to 80 lbs must use a seat belt positioning device or booster seat. All children are safest in the back seat. The driver of the vehicle is legally responsible for ensuring compliance and may be fined for non-compliance, but the law does not seem to be clear on who must provide booster seats or special child seats for young children. To be on the safe side, parents using taxis for their young families should bring their own. If they do not, so as not to risk being liable by default, taxi drivers may not wish to take them.

Thanks for posting this. We'll be sure to stick with the bus with our daughters. I just don't want to carry two booster seats with us off the ship.

Captain Kevin; Did you get the drivers card or name and number?

I did indeed. His name is Howard Smith, email: genie@tbinet.bm

If you can't reach him via email, I'll give his phone number privately.

Very nice gentleman, albeit a bit reserved as most Bermudans are. However, he has a bit of a sense of humor, too... when I first tried to swing myself up into the front passenger seat (left hand side!), I mentioned that it was weird to be on that side. "No problem", he said, "I can drive on the right for a while". There was a moment of stunned silence, then we all burst out laughing. :D

Kev

I did indeed. His name is Howard Smith, email: genie@tbinet.bm

If you can't reach him via email, I'll give his phone number privately.

Very nice gentleman, albeit a bit reserved as most Bermudans are. However, he has a bit of a sense of humor, too... when I first tried to swing myself up into the front passenger seat (left hand side!), I mentioned that it was weird to be on that side. "No problem", he said, "I can drive on the right for a while". There was a moment of stunned silence, then we all burst out laughing. :D

Kev

Thanks. I'll try his email.

• 8 months later...

We are a family of 6 adults and a 3 year old. We are interested in a taxi ride from the Kings Warf to St George and back. $36 an hr is a very fair price. Can we fit a booster for my grandson or do we need to use another method of transportation? We do not want to use a bus since we would like to stop when we would like to.We also would like to go to Hamilton. Any information would be appeciated.

I will be visiting Bermuda for the first time in Sept what sites should I ask the driver to take us? I like beaches but other than this I don't have a clue. Will the driver make stops so we can take pics? Thanks for your help.

We are a family of 6 adults and a 3 year old. We are interested in a taxi ride from the Kings Warf to St George and back. $36 an hr is a very fair price. Can we fit a booster for my grandson or do we need to use another method of transportation? We do not want to use a bus since we would like to stop when we would like to.We also would like to go to Hamilton. Any information would be appeciated.

You can only put 6 people in a cab in Bermuda. For 6 the price goes up. I believe it around 50.00 a hour plus tip.

Quench,

Just tell the cab driver you are interested in a tour and for how long you would like. (Normal is about 3 hours.) The driver will hit all the top places. It's really the best way to see the island for the first time. That way you go revisit anyplace on your own again. And they do stop and let you take pictures and walk around, but remember you are on the clock.

For 6 adults and a three year old, you must get the minivan taxis. They hold 6 passengers. The question is the three year old. Will they let the little one sit in someone's lap or say you have too many and require you to take two taxis. You could split up into two groups and they might make a deal with you, maybe. All the taxi drivers are very knowledgable about Bermuda, but the ones with the blue flag on the hood are trained and certified by the Bermuda Department of Tourism. As you tour, note the places you would like to return to. You could then return by bus or ferry by buying tokens or the transportation pass. I like the pass as it allows unlimited use of the ferries and buses.You can on and off as many times as you want, which gives you a lot of flexibility at a fixed cost. Children under 5 ride for free. The ferry rides were excellent, with modern, comfortable boats and great scenic views.:)

Quench,

Just tell the cab driver you are interested in a tour and for how long you would like. (Normal is about 3 hours.) The driver will hit all the top places. It's really the best way to see the island for the first time. That way you go revisit anyplace on your own again. And they do stop and let you take pictures and walk around, but remember you are on the clock.

Thanks Charlie!

Archived