Hoonah, Alaska's Icy Strait Point - A taste of the REAL Alaaqsaq (Alaska)

Hoonah_Tlingit_Boy

From what I've read on the threads, the "dock" is not completed yet.
The dock at ISP is complete and fully functional, but it wasn't intended to accomodate cruise ships. Thus, you must tender in from the ship to the dock. BTW, that's completely in character with the intent of the place -- as much natural as possible.
So where does the tender drop you? What is immediately in the vecinity at the tender drop?
The tender drops you off at the ISP dock. Virtually everything you would want to do is accessible from there -- the cannery tour, whale watching tours, start of the nature trails, a restaurant, the small number of gift shops, etc. It's a very short walk to the building where the native history presentation and meal is presented (although sometimes Koo Hook gets some of his friends to do an impromptu dance on the beach next to the dock!)
I guess I'm asking if it comes in at a commercial point or an isolated place.
"Commercial" and "isolated" are relative terms when talking about ISP. The point itself (the old cannery and related buildings) is about as commercial as it gets there -- if you decide to go into the town of Hoonah (about a mile), you'll just see a typical residential town of 800 (unless there's one new this year, there isn't even a store that sells anything "tourist-y"). By the standards of every other cruise ship stop in Alaska, EVERYTHING in ISP/Hoonah is "non-commercial" and "isolated" :D
We don't walk long distances well. Are taxis available? How did you find out about a shuttle? Where do you catch it in relation to the location of the tender drop? Can you remember the costs involved?
The only "long distance" walks I can think of would be if you wanted to wander down the beach aways, spend a great deal of time on the nature walks, or if you wanted to walk to Hoonah and back. Unless they are new this year, there aren't any taxis -- there is at least one shuttle that will take you to Hoonah and back to ISP (again, very close to the dock), but I can't help you with the cost. We didn't take any of the bear-watching tours, so I don't know if there's walking involved in any of them.
My travel mate has a friend who lives there for the season and we don't know if we will catch up with him for any rides, so wanted to know the options other than a cruise booked tour. thanks
BTW, if you have been participating in any of these ISP threads, you have MANY friends who live there -- starting with Koo Hook and Chookenshaa! If there's an unfriendly person in the area, they've hidden them well!

John

We just returned from Icy Strait. It was wonderful. As I stated on another board, I didn't care if I missed the Cruise ship. I could stay longer. We did get to meet Koo Hook and his Aunt, such nice people.

Yes, there are Taxis, it cost us $2.00 each to return from town, we had walked there. It does get dusty along the road, because not all of the road is paved and the buses and cars are passing you. There were two different colors of buses running, we were told $3.00 to ride. And the walk is longer than a mile. We did enjoy the ocean and mountain view alng the walk and the quiet, we could hear the Eagles overhead. We followed a bear's footprints all the way to town.

The walk to the Taxi and buses is not real far, but if you have trouble walking it could be longer for you then me. In town as far as the buses go is a couple of restaurants ( normal prices), couple churches, housing, little grocery store (heard milk was $6.00 gal.), The dock for fishing boats ( lots of Eagle and Raven there ), kids selling cookies and lemonade, where you take float planes, and a building where a few residents sell wares (cd of area and jewerly). It is a nice little town with lots of friendly people.

The nature tram and cannery are right at the dock, along with visitors information, native center. The area looks new with all the new decking (but cannery & most of the buildings are old) The self walk is very nice.

We also saw 6 whales between the Cruise ship and the docks, standing on shore. Thanks to Koo Hook who took us to see them.

Take a Cruise ship which has this port. It was many peoples' favorite stop.

That's exactly what I needed to know. incidentally, I've posted elsewhere, asking if diet 7 up was sold near the piers in either Seward or juneau, and now I can ask you about the grocery store. did they sell it, if you remember? thanks

I usually don't do much writing on the boards since my DW does most of the talking, but just had to add my two cents worth about Icy Strait and the people. Yes, we met Koo Hook and many other people while we were there. Not a grumpy person could be found. Everyone did everything possible to make our day GREAT!!!!!

Anyone who saw Kathy sewing a BIG pair of mocassins in her shop on May 25 were privileged to see her making the pair I am wearing right now. They fit and are comfortable. Not bad for ordering over the phone.

One thing Sharon forgot to mention was our conversations with some of the younger Klingit. We found out what the youth think of Koo Hook. They really admire him and appreciate all he has done for them. They only had one complaint. They said he is so full of energy that they sometimes have to tell him to cool it and slow down. He truly is the ambassador for Icy Strait.

I will never forgot the time we spent in Icy Strait. It was the highlight of our trip. I am glad there was someplace which did not have all the hustle and bustle of the typical tourist area. We were able to walk on the trails and just feel the quiet and the land. It reminded me of times in my younger years when I was able to just get out and walk the trails at our friends ranch in Colorado.

Gunalcheesh (Good'n'cheese)

Don

OK, yes, I'm the chatty other half of Cruisin Gomer! Here's the links to some of our pictures of this incredible place.

Hope you enjoy them as much as we enjoyed experiencing all the sights around Icy Strait! The flightseeing was spectacular, and I got some really good pictures!

Here's the link:

http://community.webshots.com/user/sepyle

We only walked into the store and talked to the cashier, sorry. We ate at Mary's Inn, they gave me a calender, it has their number 1-907-945-3228.

Maybe they might carry diet 7-up or know if the grocery does. I'd just pick some up pre-boarding and take it with you on the ship.

Chookenshaa - I am going to be up there very soon now - June 29 on the same cruise as Denamo. We are both corresponding on another thread and really excited about your island! Mom, Dad and I are going out with FISHES for the morning and will be enjoying meeting everyone else the rest of the day.

Still wondering about those bike rentals though. Can you just rent one near the docks?

Thanks - more later and hope to see you soon!

I see there are many questions floating around, I will try to answer all of them to the best of my ability.

THis week was a truly phenomenal week at Icy Strait Point! Yaay Yaana sken as my uncle told me. (Whales are jumping) They put on a show for everyone this week. We who see them all year round,(some do not make the trip to warmer waters for their breeding grounds and stay here all winter) we were even truly impressed with their performance.

THe Whale Watch boat did board directly from the ship this week for those wanting to know about that.

The fishing boats have been bringing in King Salmon, pinks, and some nice halibut also, there is a lot of feed in the area now, herring and needlefish and everybody is benefiting from this.

THe Remote Bush Exploration and Bear Search will now be up and running again, for those of you wondering about bear viewing in September, I have always considered that a prime time to see them still. The streams will be full of spawning salmon till late in the fall. I have a secret hole (ish) that we get silvers out of until November and the brown bears (xoots) know about it also.

As for the tender boats coming to our dock it is a short ride and to me it gives you an actual feeling of how we get around in our little skiffs when we go out to check our crab pots, troll for salmon, jig for halibut, picking beach greens and berries for winter supplies. Our tender dock is at a central location to our facility and everything is very close by.

Diet 7UP, that I cannot answer, but I will check the stores for you. I have seen diet Sierra Mist though.

Bike Rentals, we have a guided tour approximately 8 miles and they stop and point out areas of interest and tell you the story behind it so that you aren't just riding around and not knowing what you are truly experiencing. As for a bike rentals and go at your leisure that is not available to my knowledge.

Sepyle-Awesome pics!!!! Sometimes we take our home for granted and need a little reminder of what we truly have and need to sit back and reexamine it for what we truly possess. You have given me a little reminder.

I also met a 'lurker' to the site, she stated that she didn't post much but read everything that was posted. She happened to hear me speaking with some people and came up to me and introduced herself to me. Anne I hope our home was everything you wanted and may you come back again.

Shuttles to town, we have a shuttle going to town, for five dollars round trip, you can purchase the bracelet at the cultural heritage building. The bracelet will allow you to get off, wander around at your leisure and get back on when ever you want. For those of you who do not want to get out and walk around, we also have a city tour that is really informational. They take you through the village and make specific stops and point out points of interest and tell you the history behind it.

I think I have answered everybody's questions for now, if I have missed any I am truly sorry and will try answer it as soon as I get back on the board if you leave me a note.

It is a beautiful day here and my girls and I are going out to harvest tea leaves for various ailments that the Tlingits have been using for centuries. Everyone have a great day!

Chookenshaa

Chookenshaa, thank you so much for answering our questions.I will be arriving in ISP on Tues. June 28. Will be taking the whale watch tour from the ship. After that,planning on walking around your town and meeting the friendly people of ISP.Anxious to meet you and Koo Hook. See you soon, Lois

We shall be in ISP on the 23rd of August aboard the Summit.

I understand that there is a new boat for whale watching this year.

Roughly how many people have you had on each excursion??? I understand the boat can hold 200 and have heard that it averages roughly 60 passengers. How large is the boat and can one assume the trip is relatively calm ( wife gets queasy so she may just tender in). Are we talking about a vessel the size of the tender? Is there reasonable space to go outside for pictures without fighting for rail space???

I assume there are "facilities" on board - are there warm beverages for those who get cold??

Does anyone have a posted picture of the new boat???

Chookenshaa and Koo Hook,

We will be on the Celebrity Summit and at ICP on August 23. Is there only one whale watching boat? What is the name of the company? We would definitely like to do this excursion while in ICP. We would also like to meet you both and have you share with us your history and life in Ice Straight Point. Do you do "tours" or are you the Ambassadors for your community. It seems as tho you both are the latter as shown by your postings.

My husband and I are looking forward to meeting you.

Dale G.

Chookenshaa-

Thanks so much for taking the time to post and answer so many questions, especially the information about the bears in Sept. Looking forward to having a great visit to ISP in Sept. on the Infinity. Thanks again!

Mom, Dad and I are going out with FISHES for the morning and will be enjoying meeting everyone else the rest of the day.

Hey Kathy :D

We just got back yesterday from the 10 day Infinity San Francisco to Vancouver itinerary. We were in Icy Strait on Monday, the 13th, and had our most memorable whale watching experience EVER with Floyd of FISHES!! :p (this was our 5th Alaska cruise)

We were out for about 4 hours and Floyd took us to the area where the humpbacks hang out. WOW! Everywhere we looked we saw blowing and incredible breaching!!! Floyd took us as close as permitted and the whales got closer and put on quite a show. Listened to them "talking" with the underwater mike that Floyd lowered down several times. There were also playful sea lions all around who were curious and came up very close to the boat. You are in for the experience of a life time!! :D

Char,

How many times did you see the ships tour boat? On our tour, we had our friends on Floyds next to us for quite a while. What did you hear about the bear tours from anyone you talked to?

Char,

How many times did you see the ships tour boat? On our tour, we had our friends on Floyds next to us for quite a while. What did you hear about the bear tours from anyone you talked to?

Hey John :D

We did not go to the same place the ship's tour went! There were some whales near the ship when we anchored and the ship's tour followed that pod. We went to another location and saw the many, many whales that stay in that region all summer. We didn't see the ship tour at all. The locals keep in touch with each other by radio telling where the sightings are happening, so we had that advantage as well. No bears on our day in ISP--a little too soon in the season, although the locals had seen some in the days prior.

Char,

You're home. I'm interested in anything you can tell me and all hints for excursions since we're going in September. We just found out today that Phil and Marti will be joining us. This is becoming a Galaxy TA reunion! Al and Judy, Chuck and Dianne, Susan and Bill are also going to be with us. Wish you were with us too!

Garry

• 2 weeks later...

Tuesday July 19 will be our chance to join you in Icy Strait Point, as we will arrive on the Vision of the Seas. After reading all the posts I could find about ISP I sincerely thank especially Koo Hook and Chookenshaa for being so informative. I can't wait to see an area that is largely unspoiled and will be hoping to do my souvenir shopping with your folks! Hope to see you at the docks or thereabout.

We are just back from Vision of the Seas cruise. All of us loved this port and would have even without the "fish story" that we also got out of this stop.

The locals greet you with such warmth and also give you a bit of their culture while you are there. Take time to enjoy it all! Even the shops at the pier have some neat stuff so leave about an hour for that. I would not head back to the ship until the last couple of shuttles because if you do you may miss your send off which includes native dancing on the beach below. All the workers also join in from above - it is truly a special experience.

Now about Floyd and FISHES - spend the money to book him. He put us right on a pod of humpback whales for quite a long time. There is nothing that compares to hearing and seeing them from this vantage point. Then spend the extra money to have him take you fishing on the way back. He has been fishing these waters commercially for about 30 years and his expertise is invaluable. I caught a big one - 160 pound 5'8" Halibut! What a great coach he was and everyone on the boat became a part of the "catch". Granted this was a big one - but others who fished here also were quite satisfied!

Then, to celebrate the catch (what ever it may or may not have been) I recommend the Office Bar. What great people there! Also a nice view and if you're hungry for crab they may be doing a crab boil which is awesome!

After we were done at "The Office" we started walking back to the point to catch the tender. We kept waiting for a shuttle while walking but didn't see one coming. Then a local pulled over and asked us if we wanted a ride back. How wonderful are these people!!! We took her up on it and had a nice conversation for the short ride back.

My family will be back here one day - even if it means taking the Alaskian highway (ferry) over there! Next time we won't be forced to leave so soon!

Hope you all put your chip in the fire for luck (you'll understand when you get there - and to make sure you get to go back again. I hope this place never changes!

WASAA IYATEE (HOW ARE YOU DOING) FRIENDS?!!??!!!!!!!!! Where do I begin......(sigh)........

Good morning Koo Hook! We do know how busy you must be so please don't feel a need to apologize! You have been so gracious with your time, but now that we have all accended on your beautiful 'piece of heaven', you must be very weary after days end!

To say we enjoyed every minute of our visit in May is an understatement. We were so glad to be able to meet you! I know one of our posters mentioned with dissapointment they were not able to catch up with you. We asked several people when we arrived and found out that you are more known by locals as Howard, not Koo Hook. We were told you were on the whale watching boat so we made sure we were in the area when it returned. Do you and your group dance and celebrate your heritage (I put it this way because in no way did I feel it was a performance) each time a ship is in port? I will always remember sitting there literally 'drinking-in' the wonder of your heritage, as I witnessed the joy in each of your faces as you all danced to the beat of the drums!

Please let Kathy Marvin know that Don LOVES his moccassins! I looked over yesterday afternoon and there he was sitting in his chair 'chillin' wearing his prize pair of handmade Alaskan moccassins! Since it's summer I am sure glad we have air conditioning!

To those of you who are yet to visit Icy Strait point, have a wonderful time! This was the highlight of our trip!

Sharon

Koo Hook, I back up what Sharon says in that my DH and I throoughly loved Icy Strait Point and meeting you. It was one of the highlites of our trip. Again thank your sister-inlaw in pointing out where you would be(on the whale boat). Hopefully I will be back to Icy Strait Point and meeting you again.

Marilyn

• 1 month later...
WASAA IYATEE (HOW ARE YOU DOING) FRIENDS?!!??!!!!!!!!! Where do I begin......(sigh)........

Hello friend It has been over 1 year since I visited Alaska and Icy Straits.My heart was left in Alaska and I think about you ,Lisa and Mimi often.Did Lisa get married yet?

We went to the Baltics this year and although it was great it wasn't awsome like Alaska.

Can't wait till we can return.

Ann

Archived