POH 8/28 Best Port for Surfing Lessons?

mamagina

We are two 40+ adults and our 16 year old daughter. Daughter wants to learn to surf. Hubby will try it but I think I would rather watch--I've wiped out on a boogie board at the Jersey shore and Virginia Beach! Should we book one of the NCL surf lesson excursions and if so which one? Could I go and just watch (kind of expensive)

Can we do it on our own so I can just watch?

Which port and location! I read in a post about a family who rented a car and went to a Sheraton but I don't remember which island they were on.

Thanks

In Maui we rented a car through Thrifty and went to the Hyatt in Kaanapali. They had a little stand where you could arrange surfing lessons. They were less than $100 for 2 hours (1 hour of instruction and 1 hour of on your own board rental). In the same place you can also rent lounge chair ($10 for the day w/ umbrella) the perfect spot for watching the lessons. The stand also rents snorkles, boogie boards, floating noodles, etc. We sat there all day watching the lesson and enjoying the sun. There is also a nice beach cafe/deli that you can get take out deli items and grill items to eat on the beach. The Hyatt also has a pool bar where you can get drinks for the beach. It was a great day spent relaxing. The surfing lessons looked like a lot of fun. The instructor got into the water and was helping and there was another instructor closer to the shore helping if you came in too far. Hope this info helps.:)

I agree with Mike - try to see if you can do it pre or postcruise in Honolulu on Waikiki Beach. No shortage of instructors there. Or you can contract with the Hawaiian Fire people - surfing instruction from Honolulu firefighters Your daughter REALLY oughta appreciate that :)

Spleen

Does anybody know approximately what the beachboys or places on Waikiki charge for surf lessons? How is the surf for beginners?

We were thinking of doing GoofyFoot Surf School on Maui for our kids because they claim to be set up in one of the best places for learning to surf. (2hrs for $55)

But, since we're staying pre-cruise at the Outrigger Waikiki surfing there would definitely be an option too if the waters are agreeable for two kids to learn.

Wow! Thanks for all the great info. We are staying at the Marriott for two nights pre cruise so it looks like that would be the best way to go. Which hotel is the closest to the Marriott for the lessons? I don't think the Marriott is on the beach, right?

I read about the Firemen but the guide book said that they pick you up at your hotel at 9:00 and bring you back at 3:00. We really only have Sunday as a full day (arrive Saturday and cruise Monday) and we want to get up early and go to Pearl Harbor as early as we can.

Does anyone know what transportation is available from the Marriott to Pearl Harbor at 6:30-7:00am. Do shuttles run that early or do we have to catch a cab?

Marriott is right across the street from the beach - there are no hotels on the beach around there so it's the closest thing. There are a ton of beach activity stands in the area - any one would be fine.

Some of the commercial shuttles that run to the Arizona do go very early. They might be worthwhile looking at. Cab would be possible but would be pricey if you included both ways. Or you could rent a car from the Marriott and drive yourselves - Sunday traffic at that time of the day will be very light.

Spleen

Archived