Ethnic Formal Shirt

tatay

I need CCer's opinion on this for formal night. It is a "Barong" from the Philippines. Has anyone seen these on formal nights.

(guy on pic is not me, i could only wish i look like him. LOL)

mybarong_1904_125454501.gif.f66ee5c5d72d7aad66617987ae9d8cc9.gif

I think that Native Formal Clothes are wonderful on cruise ships if worn by a native. On others, it looks like a costume, thus not appropriate. (i.e. I love sari's and would wear one if I didn't think they looked silly on western women)

Is the Barong what's traditionally worn in formal situations? If so, then you can wear it on formal night, if not, wear it on a non-formal night. My two girlfriends who are Fillipina are both married to Brits, so when formal, the men are in suits and the women are in "western" formal wear.

Assuming you're travelling with a female companion that is also Filipina, it would probably look best if she too were in native formal dress.

Honestly, I think the Barong is a beautiful shirt, but since it's "just a shirt" I think it's not formal looking and might look best on a nonformal night.

IMHO, it looks very nice. I can't tell if it is a tunic shirt, meant to be worn with something underneath, or something else. Is it meant to be worn without a jacket? If so, it maybe considered too informal, as all the outfits I've seen men wear on formal nights involve some sort of jacket (tuxes, military uniforms and kilts). We may just have a difference of definition in what is considered formal in the Phillipines vs. the US, and that is not to say one is correct, just different.

Just to clear things up, I am Filipino.

This is a typical formal wear that men would wear in a gala dance, a groom will wear in his wedding, a government official would wear to great foreign dignitaries.

I was just thinking if it would be out of place in a cruise in North America.

It is very thin, made out of pineapple fiber so a "chino" (undershirt) is worn underneath.

I have seen them worn on Holland America Formal night. As you may know many of the crew and musicians on Holland America are Filipino. On formal night the string quartet would wear these types of shirts, which I think are very beautiful.

The fashion regulars have had a lot of discussions over the last year about ethnic formal wear, and think the general conscensus is that if it is formal for your country, it should be formal on the cruise.

What kind of pants to you usually wear with these shirts?

Any formal pants will do. Some guys were tuxedo pants, I wear my suit trousers. :)

I have seen them worn on Holland America Formal night. As you may know many of the crew and musicians on Holland America are Filipino. On formal night the string quartet would wear these types of shirts, which I think are very beautiful.

The fashion regulars have had a lot of discussions over the last year about ethnic formal wear, and think the general conscensus is that if it is formal for your country, it should be formal on the cruise.

What kind of pants to you usually wear with these shirts?

Just to clear things up, I am Filipino.

This is a typical formal wear that men would wear in a gala dance, a groom will wear in his wedding, a government official would wear to great foreign dignitaries.

I was just thinking if it would be out of place in a cruise in North America.

It is very thin, made out of pineapple fiber so a "chino" (undershirt) is worn underneath.

I've seen them at Filipino weddings!

Since they're formal enough for a government official to wear greeting foreign dignitaries, I think it's definitely formal enough for a "formal night" on a cruise or at the White House!

Tatay,

As a Filipino citizen you should be both proud and comfortable to wear your traditional formal shirt on your cruise. You find citizens of many countries on a cruise and a lot of those folks choose to wear formal attire of their respective countries.

However, for a US citizen such as myself, I would say it would probably be considered inappropriate since we wear business suits and tuxedos as formal attire in the US. Represent your country and traditions and have a great cruise.

Archived