LA with 2 kids??

Workmom2

I am taking the Star on March 7th and need some advice. The ship leaves on a Tuesday and we would like to fly into LA a day early. Has anyone done this with kids, ours will be 3 and 6? We would like to avoid a rental car and wonder if it will be too difficult to get in early and try to do some sightseeing before the cruise? We have the air booked at this point with NCl and have time to change plans.

I have lived in LA and also visited there with small children - I don't think there's much of anything you can do without a car, IMO. But LOTS of fun stuff to do with a car - Beach/Pier in Santa Monica, La Brea Tar Pits/LA County Museum of Art, Peterson Automotive Museum, Children's Museum in Pasadena, Universal Studios, and of course, Disney Land :D

Some places take a whole day (Disneyland, for example, which is about an hours' drive from LA, and needs time to see). A major problem if you're taking a taxi is that it's costly here, and also you'll need to bring with you car seats for your kids (strict car seat laws).

I am taking the Star on March 7th and need some advice. The ship leaves on a Tuesday and we would like to fly into LA a day early. Has anyone done this with kids, ours will be 3 and 6? We would like to avoid a rental car and wonder if it will be too difficult to get in early and try to do some sightseeing before the cruise? We have the air booked at this point with NCl and have time to change plans.

I can't think of another place worth going in LA if you have a 3 and a 6 YO unless it's Disneyland.

Disneyland is a good hour drive southeast of LAX, if the traffic is good.

Plus, with all that luggage, where can you go without check-in into a hotel somewhere first, then go somewhere?

Since you'll be going on to some ports of call that have beach areas, it's not a priority to visit beach towns while you are in LA.

Unless you can find a tour package that includes Disneyland, hotel, pickup at the airport and drop off at the cruise terminal, you maybe able to do LA without renting a car.

If you really don't want to rent a car, you can go to Priceline and book a hotel near the airport. Then just use the hotel's courtesy shuttle buses to the local mall or take taxis everywhere.

Manhattan Beach is 10 minutes away from LAX. They have a nice beach and restaurant/pier/downtown area. It's really not LA sightseeing if you do it this way. Is it worth the extra $$ you'll spend, probably not!

I found a tour on-line:

http://www.starlinetours.com/laxhotelsairportarea.aspx

You can check into any of the LAX hotels on their list and they'll provide all kinds of tours from these LAX hotels. I don't know the quality of this tour company, so you'll have to do some research and find a reputable one.

Stopover tour:

http://www.starlinetours.com/AL_stopover.asp

Good luck.

Depending on where you are staying some tour companies do hotel pickups. We stayed at the Westin LAX and one company (I think it was Star Tours) did a hotel pick up and drop off there. Also, right across the street from the hotel was a free trolley that would take you to Manhattan Beach and to a shopping mall.

Archived