Mexican riv Shore Excursions with 3 and 6 year old?

Workmom2

I am trying to get the shore excursions paid for and planned before we go on our trip and need advice. I have a 3 and 6 year old. We will be on NCL Star March 7-06. I have narrowed it down to

1. Endangered Babay Sea Turtle (Acapoco)

2 City and Cliff Divers (Acapoco)

Ziwantejo (spelling?)

1. Jr dolphin swim- hubby will keep 3 year old on ship and I will take 6 year old to this one

Cabo

1. Whale watching

2. Eco snorkle

I would appreciate any sugguestions....

Thanks

I haven't done any of these with kids, buy my general advice is to keep it simple. Any activity that involves water or a beach is good, so the turtles, dolphins and snorkeling (know going in that the kids may or may not like or be able to handle this) sound great. I'd be a little leery of a city tour in Acapulco unless it's pretty brief. Children this age usually aren't very interested in sight-seeing, and riding on a tour bus with young kids can be difficult, depending on how crowded the bus is, how long the tour is, if it's hot,etc. We've been on tour buses before where people had to sit on jump seats in the aisle--not fun.

With grandkids 3,4,5 &5 last year we went to two beaches, tubed a mild river, did a short sight-seeing tour (they were totally uninterested) and snorkeled and fed the stingrays. They loved both beaches and the river tubing, loved the boat ride to the snorkeling but stayed in the water for snorkeling only a couple of minutes--it was a little cool and it was a little wavy--and were afraid of the sting rays.

besides the cost factor, there is also certain amount of danger in foreign country. I also have children who gets whiney when they are tired and it's also very difficult to plan things ahead when kids are involved. Sometimes kids sleep in or they get up early so they are tired in the afternoon....consequently, we just play by ear for most port of call.

NCL has a good kids' club, you should use it.

It looks like you have an extensive ports of call in Mexico. I've only been to 3 (Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, and Cabo San Lucas). Our idea of ports of call is finding a nice beach or hotel/resort pool for the kids to swim and hang out.

For Puerto Vallarta, we walk off the ship and head towards the Krystal Hotel and hang out there for a day. I believe the cost is $10pp (children free) and you can use the $10 to buy food and drinks by the pool. This hotel has easy access to the beach.

For Mazatlan, we took a taxi to a hotel/resort. I forgot the name, but I found this hotel on the Mazatlan port of call board here.

For Cabo San Lucas, we took the water taxi to one of the resorts on the other side of the island. It was a beautiful resort and we paid for drinks. It was obvious we were Princess cruisers because we had Princess towels with us.

There are plenty of things for kids to do, even if it seems mundane for you. Just check out the Ports of call board here. But my advise is to bring lots of sand toys and floaties of all kinds (you can buy those cheaply at the Dollar Store or Target). Bring lots of sunscreen and protective clothing for your kids. Both your 3YO and 6YO will have a ball.

I would leave the swim with dolphin tours for your trip to the San Diego Sea World. But if your 6YO is active and is looking forward to the swim with dolphin activity, then book it. My 7YO would be afraid of the dolphin up close. My experience is that my kids aren't into sightseeing, long bus rides, or boring walks. Taxi rides in golf carts are big hits with the kids though (this was Mazatlan).

For snorkling, bring your own equipment and shoes. You can get snorkling equipment for your 6YO easily here for less than $15.

I am trying to get the shore excursions paid for and planned before we go on our trip and need advice. I have a 3 and 6 year old. We will be on NCL Star March 7-06. I have narrowed it down to

1. Endangered Babay Sea Turtle (Acapoco)

2 City and Cliff Divers (Acapoco)

Ziwantejo (spelling?)

1. Jr dolphin swim- hubby will keep 3 year old on ship and I will take 6 year old to this one

Cabo

1. Whale watching

2. Eco snorkle

I would appreciate any sugguestions....

Thanks

There's a water park in Acapolco, called CICI. You can find more info on the Mex Rivieria boards about it. But we're going to do that during the day with the kids. Then after dinner we are going to take the kids to the kids club and then us adults (and my newborn) are going to take a taxi to watch the cliff divers in the evening.

In Cabo I would just try to find a good beach.

For a good organized activity, you might want to look into horseback riding with Randi's Happy Horses in Mazatlan, assuming your kids are not scared of horses. I've heard she is so wonderful with kids, and that the horses are great. I'm booked with her for this November for me and my 3-yr-old son (and some other members of our group). Hubby is going along to relax on the beach with the baby during my ride.

Besides beaches, kids also seem to love excursions on catamarans, assurming, of course, that they enjoy the water.

Hope that helps.

Shellie

Thanks for the advice- I did not think of all this when I started to plan. I think that the idea of keeping it simple will be best. The idea of horseback riding sounds really great. and, I did not know about the resorts with beaches.

Thank you to all!

Archived