Westerdam 12/10/06 Table for Two

matisse2

We are going on the Westerdam 12/10/06 Eastern Caribbean cruise and are very excited. We are looking to reserve a private table for two. Two years ago on the Oosterdam, we had a table for two but it was about a foot away from the next table. It felt like we were having dinner with the next table and not private at all.

Does anyone remember the table number they had that was in a more private or bettter location? I would like to have a table near the railing. I wonder if it is too late to even get a specific table number.

Or does anyone have a dining room chart for the Westerdam?

Looks like we missed out on a cabana at Half Moon Cay. They sure do sell out fast!!!

Any other valuable suggestions or tips would be appreciated. This is my first post!

Thanks for your help :)

Sorry, can't give you any table numbers, but just want to give you a head's up in case you do not get your table for 2. Those are hard to get & it may be too late. Hope it does work out for you.

However, don't know if you are new to this stuff or not, but just in case, I'll add my thoughts. When you get on the ship, go to the dining room & find your table (doors may be closed, but go on in). If not a 2 seater, find out when the Maitre'd is meeting with passengers who want to change. Then go earlier than scheduled! Maitre'd will probably say "no 2 seaters available". You can be placed on the list - has never worked for us. But, when you are meeting w/Maitre'd, ask if there is an empty 4 seater available; we got that once.

Good luck, but either way, enjoy your cruise.

By the way, congrats on your first post & welcome to the board. Hope to see many posts from you. We always need bright, new ideas! :)

Is this your first HAL cruise? DH & I love the Westerdam, especially their waffles for breakfast! :D

Thanks for the big welcome. I have been "lurking" for a couple of months and have learned a lot of valuable information.

We went on the Oosterdam in December 2004 which was our first cruise and loved it.

Last December we decided to try Royal Caribbean and went on Mariner of the Seas. Although we had a good time, the service level didn't compare to Holland America.

That is why we have decided that HAL is the cruiseline for us.

We are in our 30's and enjoy the fact the most passengers are a little older than us. To us, they seem more interesting, friendlier and we appreciate any advice they give us.

Goodness, you are a restrained soul to be able to lurk for 2 months & not have an irrestible urge to get into some of the frays!

DH & I have been toying with trying RCCL. But everytime we weigh the differences, we turn back to HAL! better beds, quiet (unless it's during school break), better food (per all the pro reviews I've seen), larger cabins. Guess we will stay with HAL, at least until we decide to try Oceania.

DH & I did an Alaska cruise on Westerdam in July & we "seniors" were the minority! However, we are like you, we enjoy talking to folks of any age - big part of the cruise fun. I love hearing the WWII vets recount their war experiences. On one cruise, met an elderly scientist who worked with Oppenheimer in Los Alamos on "the bomb" during WWII - how lucky for us!

Soooo anyway, enjoy CC & HAL & the Westerdam!

Hi there matisse2 - welcome to the CC boards!

We're also on the December 10th sailing of the Westerdam :)

We have a thread going over on the roll call boards (a meet and greet thread for those on the same sailing) and we'd love to have you post and introduce yourself :)

As for your question, I contacted HAL and requested seating charts for the Westerdam which they sent me...just follow this link: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=299396&page=4. This is the roll call thread, and if you scroll down to post #71, you'll see where I've posted links to the seating charts (both Upper and Lower).

We did request a specific table (for 6) and our request has been passed on to the dining room manager - never a sure thing, but its worth a try!

Hope to see you see you aboard! :D

Hi Matisse and welcome!

We cruised on the Westerdam last year and had a table for two along the railing. We always dine alone, and have had real good luck with the exception of one off night on Princess. One thing I've noticed is that there are more of the tables for two along the railing upstairs...but NOT on the lower level. This may have changed, but we opted for upper dining on our next cruise to increase our chances of getting a nice, quiet table for 2...we've never had a problem on Princess or HAL with getting a table for two, but I have heard that some people have. I'm sure if you head the other poster's advice and visit the dining room on the first day, they can accomodate you.

I don't like those close, bench style seats either...I'd rather just dine at a table for 4 and make friends.

Archived