QM2 Disembarkation ?

cruizlover

Leaving from Ft. Lauderdale on a short 4-day cruise in January to St. Thomas on the QM2. After we return to Ft. Lauderdale, we will need to get off the ship as early as possible in order to catch our 10 AM flight. We will only have carry on bags and will not need to leave them outside our cabin the night before. I know that flights shouldn't be booked before 12 noon, but I've been able to get off other ships quickly in the past, no problemo. I guess my question is, with the QM2 being a huge ship, will disembarkation be slow?

Also, I'm hoping this short cruise to the Caribbean will be more relaxed and not so formal. We are in our 50's, but since the 50's are the new 40's, that means I'm only 41. We still like to have fun and hope to meet some fun people on the cruise and hear some reggae music. Any thoughts?

Cruizlover, you are definitely taking a risk booking a 10 AM flight. However, since you have cruised before I am sure you know that. We once booked a 10:30 flight out of Fort Lauderdale and had no problems getting to the airport. We also knew we were taking a risk. We were not on the QM2 that time.

Since your cruise is only 4 days, my guess is that lots of people will have only carry-on bags and decide to self disembark. The two times we have been on the QM2, we took all our bags off and did the self-disembark. Both times there were many others who did the same thing. One of our cruises was a 7 day and one was a 10 day.

If everything goes perfectly, you should be able to make it to the airport in plenty of time. However, it will only take one complication, the ship docking late, immigration taking longer than usual, disembarkation held up for some unknown reason, long lines of people using the self disembark option, etc. etc. etc. (I'm sure you know all the potential problems).

Your Caribbean cruise on the QM2 will be more casual than a transatlantic cruise. Men will need a tux or dark suit for the formal night or nights and women will need a formal outfit. The daytime dress will be similar to what you have seen on other Caribbean cruises.

Enjoy the QM2. She is a wonderful ship.

Archived