December 2006 - Non-Adventurers

Bramcruiser

Okay folks. Visiting Barbados for one day as a port stop on our December cruise. We're not the party or beach types nor are we the types to do scuba diving. Thus count us in as sedate travellers. Just what would be a recommendation for one day in Barbados? I figure we can shop anywhere and would really only want to shop perhaps getting back to the ship as opposed to a full day. Any museums? Any interesting island tours that would make one say you just got to see? I hear Harrison Caves are closed so now have no plans at this time. Suggestions?

Bramcruiser, we are also in that sedate catagory. We will be at Barbados for the first time on the Sun Princess in December and are looking for sightseeing-type attractions. From reading the boards, we are focusing in on seeing Gun Hill Signal Station, St. John's Church and Sunbury Plantation. I am hoping this selection will give us an historical, cultural and visual mix.

I'm hoping to get some feedback from others of similar interests.

Check out http://www.scenicbarbados.com. Cameron Reid has standard tours he can do for you or can put together one if you have specific sights you want to see. We did a 5 hour tour with his driver, Herman, and had a great time. We had some attractions we wanted to see, such as Harrison's Cave and Gun Hill Station, but Herman also took us to a beautiful beach and to a lovely restaurant for lunch (our expense). He was very accommodating about stopping for photo op's and pointing out spots of interest. He also made a stop at a local grocery for us to purchase some local foods and beverages. Cameron was great to deal with via email.

Thanks NorCal123, m steve and rjscott for your replies. NorCal, your iteniary sounds perfect for us. Its our first time to Barbados as well but we'll be on the QM2 so I know we won't be on the same cruise as you. I'll look into those places you mentioned. Rjscott, I'll also look into the island tour too. Depending on prices and timing it may be a great way to see the island nation. Of course, we don't mind finding a great place for lunch and soak up the local atmosphere. Its what's half the fun of travelling is. Sedate does not necessarily equal boring.

Bramcruiser, you can walk into Bridgetown (or take a taxi) and just stroll around town, sit at a outdoor cafe and have a beverage or lunch and people watch. It's quite a pleasant town, and on the walk into Bridgetown(not terribly far), there is a craft consortium called Pelican Village where you could browse for some local crafts/souvenirs. http://www.barbados.org/pelican_village.htm

We've been to Barbados 3x and I'd happily return. There's plenty to see and do.

Archived