Bringing your own snorkel gear

dodukes

We bought our own snorkle stuff on ebay (cheap for good equipment) and have used it on 3 cruises. A "dive bag" (also from ebay) holds all the gear and towels, cameras, etc. lugging it around has not been a problem, and we know we have equipment that fits. Treat glass in mask with Rain-X, it works good !

We are going on our first cruise in less than a month and plan to take our own gear. I purchased some inexpensive sets on clearance at WalMart, but now I'm wondering if I should get snorkels with "dry" tops that seal off under water. We will be traveling with our boys...11,9,5,&5...and I want them to have a good experience. Any suggestions would be appreciated?

We are going on our first cruise in less than a month and plan to take our own gear. I purchased some inexpensive sets on clearance at WalMart, but now I'm wondering if I should get snorkels with "dry" tops that seal off under water. We will be traveling with our boys...11,9,5,&5...and I want them to have a good experience. Any suggestions would be appreciated?

I bought a dry snorkel for my wife (who has been snorkeling all her life) and she loves it.....check out this site...I have bought a lot of stuff through them and have been very happy. Unrealfind.com ...I going to buy a wetsuit tomorrow through them.

One thing the dry snorkel does is you dive down a lot when you come up you can start breathing right away...you get very little water in the snorkel. IMO - I bought really nice stuff because I am two hours away from the Keys and we go on cruises every four months...so it is going to be used.

IMO- if you have the extra money to spend, great, but the walmart stuff will work and they will have an awesome time exploring the underwater world.

Your five-year olds can probably swim better than I can, and I did just fine with the cheap $5 Carnival snorkel I bought at the excursion desk, while my girlfriend used my dry snorkel. I guess the dry snorkel is useful if you plan on going below the surface, but for regular snorkeling, I would think they would do just fine with a regular snorkel.

I just bought snorkeling gear including fins due to germs. Going on the Sovereign in a few weeks. Do we have to wear vests and if so, do we have to get them from the tour operator or RCCL, if we go at Coco Cay? What about if we go to that private beach I've read about next to Atlantis in Nassau? We are really trying to save some money here. I got the outfits cheap since it's the end of the summer. Will wearing regular socks work in the fins or do we need fancy fin socks?

Thanks!

Where's a good place to buy snorkel gear if you've never snorkeled? How do you assure it will fit properly?

Go to your local dive shop and find a mask that fits your face. Snorkels are not all created equal, buy one that self bails or has a bottom gravity purge. Then go find it on e-bay or www.Leisurepro.com . Have fun.

I just bought snorkeling gear including fins due to germs. Going on the Sovereign in a few weeks. Do we have to wear vests and if so, do we have to get them from the tour operator or RCCL, if we go at Coco Cay? What about if we go to that private beach I've read about next to Atlantis in Nassau? We are really trying to save some money here. I got the outfits cheap since it's the end of the summer. Will wearing regular socks work in the fins or do we need fancy fin socks?

Thanks!

Hey KM.....on CocoCay they do require you to wear a vest. The island is run by RCCL. It was about 6 or 8 dollars to rent a vest for the day. I don't know if there is anything available for rent on the beach near Atlantis...(Cabbage Beach).

I never wear anything with my fins...just barefeet...it works for me.

kitty

• 2 years later...

I found very reasonable amateur snorkel sets on ebay (dry snorkels too, as recommended by a co-worker)... I ended up with two dry snorkels (all stuff was brand new), two masks and two sets of fins for about $30 (that includes shipping). The cost of a snorkel excursion on Royal Caribbean is about $30 each. Even though we have to pay to rent vests ($6 each), I still saved us $18, plus germs (eew). Plus, if we ever cruise again (and I hope we do), the savings just increases!

Archived