QM2 Deck 11?

Texwell

We are considering booking the QM2 "Caribbean Adventure" departing Ft. Lauderdale in April '07. For the 7/8 crossing, our room was on Deck 6 and was conveniently located squarely mid-ship. However, during the last two nights we were awakened by noisy crew moving deck chairs and cleaning above us on deck 7.

Does anyone have any experience with Deck 11?

I had an inside cabin last year for a T/A on Deck 11. My only comment about being that high up is the motion. If you're prone to motion sickness you could have a problem even on a Caribbean cruise.

Deck 12 does have a lot of open deck and especially on a Caribbean cruise you'll find more activity up there which would require more crew service as well.

Try to choose a cabin with other cabins above it.

We are considering booking the QM2 "Caribbean Adventure" departing Ft. Lauderdale in April '07. For the 7/8 crossing, our room was on Deck 6 and was conveniently located squarely mid-ship. However, during the last two nights we were awakened by noisy crew moving deck chairs and cleaning above us on deck 7.

Does anyone have any experience with Deck 11?

Hi Texwell,

We got off the Mary from the July 3rd cruise and we were towards the rear on Deck 11 in Room 11145.

True, with Deck 12 being open on top, during our 5 day cruise we never felt the motion whatsoever. Also we heard very little activity aboard us and we were below one of the open deck areas that would be very occupied. It was not silent but very very little noise during our time. I would expect Deck 7 to be busy due to it being one of the main deck of public activity. Walkers, deck chairs, Kings Court, Restaurants, Winter Garden and the Spa. Yes, Deck 7 is very busy with human active.

We found it to be very quiet and private at that time. Remember, the Suites are below us on Deck 9 & 10 which is also a buffer from the very public room. We also liked the overhang from the Deck 12 which shields you from the sun to a point. Also cut down the amount wind on our balcony.

It's up to you and your preference for location.

Regards,

:) ESLO

(Ed & Bev)

Thanks to all of you for your informative posts. Motion sickness can be a factor (as well as noise) for me so I appreciate all of your comments in that regard.

Since I first posted, DH has now also mentioned Deck 8 as a possibility. The cabins toward the ship seem to have cabins above them. Proximity to the Commodore Club is a real plus!:p

Does anyone know about 8? Perhaps I should start a new thread for this question.

Thanks again.

Hi

We were on deck 11 twice --both for Carribbean (January 2005 and 2006). The first time we were port side somewhat aft (don't know the room number) right to the rear of the last set of elevators. Great position--never any noise --deck 12 is a sundeck but not a whole lot of activity going on there, as opposed to the main pool deck (deck #?)

The second time we were forward in 11079 starboard side. This was a great cabin for the Carribbean because it was the last cabin before the overhang of deck 12 begins. We got more sun at various times of the day and could get a decent tan just sitting there. Not too much though. Never had a problem with motion sickness except sailing out of NYC but everyone had a problem that night. Just get those sea bands they work wonders/

As for deck 8 being near the commodore club--I walked down that hallway several times and you just need to remember that if it is very convenient (as in being on the same floor) then you will have much foot traffic in your hallway. There were always people going back and forth. Deck 11 was QUIET and convenient if you take the elevators :)

Hope this helps --enjoy planning!

Ok, we're booked on Deck 11, mid-deck. But I'm still taking my relief bands and dramamine just in case. Thanks again to all of you for the benefit of your experience.

Now all that's left to do is count the days 'til sailaway!

[quote name=eigig

The second time we were forward in 11079 starboard side. This was a great cabin for the Carribbean because it was the last cabin before the overhang of deck 12 begins. We got more sun at various times of the day and could get a decent tan just sitting there.[/quote]

Which cabins don't have the overhang? Were they forward or aft of 11079? We were booked for September 12th on deck 11, but have had to cancel due to our daughter's illness (anyone contemplating travelling without insurance please take note). Re-booking for next May, so we are trying to find the perfect spot on deck 11.

Thanks and regards, Mary

We'll be on Deck 11 in 11059 in Dec and our friends in 11038. It's good to read other's assessments of this area. Thank you for sharing. We figured that having cabins on either side would be good for views when in the islands. Assuming we stay in the cabin instead of on deck!!! Or the Commodore Club which I expect to fall in love with since it overlooks the bow.:D

Mary...I notice you weren't far from where we'll be. How was it getting down to the dining room and so on. Do those elevators near our cabins go all the way down? Getting to Britannia from that location seems like a bit of a hike. I'm so sorry to hear that your daughter is ill and that you had to cancel. Hope she'll be better rapidly.

Cheers, Penny

Hey, Penny, a "hike" to the Britannia is what you want!!! That way you can eat extra desserts without quilt!! Of course, no elevators, either. Only taking the stairs allows many extra desserts!

However, to answer your question, if you insist on taking the elevator, those elevators in your area of the ship do go to the levels of the Britannia and you can walk from those elevators on deck 2 or deck 3 to the Britannia.

Beth

Which cabins don't have the overhang? Were they forward or aft of 11079? We were booked for September 12th on deck 11, but have had to cancel due to our daughter's illness (anyone contemplating travelling without insurance please take note). Re-booking for next May, so we are trying to find the perfect spot on deck 11.

Thanks and regards, Mary

We were in 11088, and the elevators were close which took us down to right in front of the Britannia. If you like to go to the Queen's Room for the dancing, you'll be really close to the elevator near your stateroom. I really liked it, because my feet were always sore at the end of the evening, walking around the ship and dancing until midnight! There are staterooms forward and aft of the rooms without the overhang. There are fewer without the overhang in the aft. I'm pretty sure that it's above staterooms 11108 through 11106. Look up the fares, click on accomodations and then pick deck 11, and it's the entire blue area which is the A1 area which is the most expensive for deck 11. Many people want to stay in the middle of the ship, so that's probably why it's now the priciest. It's the shuffleboard area on deck 12. Take a look at a picture of the ship, and see where it says Queen Mary 2 above deck 11, and you'll see the overhang ledge right below the sign. Portside is better for the Caribbean, since we docked on the portside 4 out of 7 islands. I think it would be great if each couple had a room on starboard or aft, and then both couples can sit on each other's balcony for the arrival and departure! I hope that you are able to relax on the balcony on deck 11 under the overhang next May! It's the best in our opinion - high and a bit protected from the sun and wind.

I don't know about the overhang in the aft sections of deck 11 but when we were sitting on our deck (11079) the overhang started right to the AFT of us. All forward cabins from 11079 to the front of the ship were minus the overhang. Really nice location. I think it was A2 and was the last cabin in that category. I agree that the port side is preferable in the Carribbean. 11079 is starboard but I THINK the overhang (or lack thereof) is the same on the port side. Enjoy!

OK, Beth, if I walk all the way down from deck 11, I'll probably be dead and then I won't need to eat!! :p GOod thing the slinky black gown has a bit of stretch to it!! I'll do the promenade...every day...I promise!!! maybe.....;)

cheers, Penny

We'll be on Deck 11 in 11059 in Dec and our friends in 11038. It's good to read other's assessments of this area. Thank you for sharing. We figured that having cabins on either side would be good for views when in the islands. Assuming we stay in the cabin instead of on deck!!! Or the Commodore Club which I expect to fall in love with since it overlooks the bow.:D

Mary...I notice you weren't far from where we'll be. How was it getting down to the dining room and so on. Do those elevators near our cabins go all the way down? Getting to Britannia from that location seems like a bit of a hike. I'm so sorry to hear that your daughter is ill and that you had to cancel. Hope she'll be better rapidly.

Cheers, Penny

Penny, thanks for good wishes. It was not me who was actually in the cabin without the overhang; I have never mastered the art of deleting part of someone elses quote and making it stand out from my text (brain damage caused by smoking:) ).

Regards, Mary

We are in a Deck 11 cabin with the overhang for the Maiden World Cruise of QM2. It is very conveniently located and hopefully won't be noisy from the shuffleboard courts above. As many have pointed out, you don't spend much time in your cabin anyway.

As to the distance one has to walk to get places on the ship, well, I just plan to walk as much as possible so I don't gain too much over the 81 days!

Happily anticipating January '07...

Does this mean deck 6 should be avoided? We booked our cabin right near the nursery/kids zone so we could pick our kids up at night and not have to walk far with them. We are way aft, under the Princess Grill. Are we going to have bad noise issues? BTW, we are going on the Carribbean trip right after Texwells' possible one, its RT NYC.

Does this mean deck 6 should be avoided? We booked our cabin right near the nursery/kids zone so we could pick our kids up at night and not have to walk far with them. We are way aft, under the Princess Grill. Are we going to have bad noise issues? BTW, we are going on the Carribbean trip right after Texwells' possible one, its RT NYC.

I think you will be okay with the Princess Grill above you. Our cabin was directly under a set of doors leading from Deck 7 into the busy buffet area. In the early mornings we could hear staff moving deck chairs, hoses and other equipment and, later on, the pounding of the joggers running around the deck. By the way, noise from the staff working didn't occur every morning and we slept well most of the time.

Sounds like booking near the kids area might be well worth any other minor issue. Have fun!

I think you will be okay with the Princess Grill above you. Our cabin was directly under a set of doors leading from Deck 7 into the busy buffet area. In the early mornings we could hear staff moving deck chairs, hoses and other equipment and, later on, the pounding of the joggers running around the deck. By the way, noise from the staff working didn't occur every morning and we slept well most of the time.

Sounds like booking near the kids area might be well worth any other minor issue. Have fun!

Thanks! I feel better now.

...It's up to you and your preference for location...

Ed & Bev,

I see from your profile that you have completed many QE2 cruises. Having sailed aboard QE2 several times myself and twice on Queen Mary 2, I would love to hear your impressions of QE2. I personally prefer QE2 to Queen Mary 2 and selected her for my 2007 world cruise. If you had a choice, would you choose QE2 or Queen Mary 2 for the world cruise?

Thanks,

Bobby

PS... When you refer to Queen Mary 2 as "the Mary," it evokes a nostalgic response in me as the original Queen Mary was fondly referred to as "the Mary." I guess you like the new Queen Mary 2 well enough to accord her that distinction.

you are prone to sea-sickness. We were on the 2nd highest deck of the SS Norway during Hurricane Gloria back in '84 and that big ole girl was a-pitchin and a-rollin!:eek: The dining rooms were EMPTY. Fortunately, the weather didn't bother us. The ship contacted the home office and received permission to change the itinerary to stop at Grand Cayman instead of St Thomas (where she had been heading). As soon as the ship cleared the SE coast of Cuba, she headed west toward Grand Cayman and the water turned into a piece of glass! It was truly amazing.:p

So, if you think you will be affected by a lot of ship movement, you may want to pick a cabin on one of the lower decks--especially for a TA crossing.

I am going to post to this thread, if only to force "the system" to post a page two.

Or am I the only one who "can't get theah, from heah" to see therapst's Lady's post? Well, I can, when I post a reply

TL, I spent the beginning of Gloria delivering some of the earliest cell phones to CT police departments (Cell phones cost about 2-3 THOUSAND dollars back then and your basic plan cost $38.00 a month with NO minutes. Those were .38 a mionue peak, .22 off-peak.) Then I settled in at my in-laws to wait it out. My next door neighbor called (we had our phone forwarded) to tell me my backyard shed had just blown down, in a twisted mass (oh well!)

Karie,

who hopes this post "rights" the system

I could not figure out where my post went. I figured it was probably in the CC ether somewhere. I'm glad you knew it was in 'page 2' h--- and took steps to get it out of theah!

Yeah, we had an "I Survived Hurricane Gloria" party on the ship and the cruise staff outdid themselves parody-ing Saturday Night Live and wearing funny costumes.

Those were the days, my friend, the days of 'early adopters' syndrome. DH and I had one of those very expensive 'bricks' (didn't they weight a ton--compared to the itty bitty things now?) and also one in our car.

DH and I are also Ham Radio operators and we were very active during the 1977 Johnstown, PA flood. In fact, ham radio was the only communications in to and out of Johnstown and the only communication to Harrisburg, the state capital, where the state Civil Defense was located. We were in CAP for years, as well.

You've led an interesting life, too, Karie. We enjoy reading your posts.

Take care,

I could not figure out where my post went. I figured it was probably in the CC ether somewhere. I'm glad you knew it was in 'page 2' h--- and took steps to get it out of theah!

Yeah' date=' we had an "I Survived Hurricane Gloria" party on the ship and the cruise staff outdid themselves parody-ing Saturday Night Live and wearing funny costumes. [/font']

Those were the days, my friend, the days of 'early adopters' syndrome. DH and I had one of those very expensive 'bricks' (didn't they weight a ton--compared to the itty bitty things now?) and also one in our car.

DH and I are also Ham Radio operators and we were very active during the 1977 Johnstown, PA flood. In fact, ham radio was the only communications in to and out of Johnstown and the only communication to Harrisburg, the state capital, where the state Civil Defense was located. We were in CAP for years, as well.

You've led an interesting life, too, Karie. We enjoy reading your posts.

Take care,

TL,

Since you are Hams, and CAPers, too, and early adopters, as you say, you might appreciate this.

I was helping a customer with a new phone a few years back. She had a special ring for her husband's calls, and didn't know how to do this in the new phone. While investigating various settings, we turned to the setting for alerts, text messages, AKA SMS. One is "Special tone" and one is "loud and long" This is on a Nokia- (Might have been a 5120 or 6120, but most of the TDMA Nokia phones had the same settings. She had changed from a 2160, I remember) All of the sudden I heard morse code coming out of the phone.

Special tone was ... -- ...

Loud and Long was -.-. --- -. -. . -.-. - .. -. --. .--. . --- .--. .-.. .

Which is, of course, one of Nokia's mottos!

BTW, I also heard over the weekend from a fellow Gator CAPer (Florida Wing) whom I had not seen nor heard from in 30 years. He caught me up on a lot of the folks from the New Smyrna Beach (Florida) Squadron- (also parrothead-firefighters from there) Even found out my first fiance's wife had died last year. (I had kept up with them til a few years ago) and he remarried recently.

As for cell phones, I have one of those "bricks" (We called them boat anchors- to bring it on subject!) on top of my bookcase at work. For old time's sake! As for SNL. I still have my Coneheads costume, complete with rubber coneheads! Maybe I could wear that for formal night next week. After all,it IS a full length gown! (I made it from a sheet!) and we could have "quantities of mass consumables" I.E. a six pack at a time, and pink insulation!

Nah, think I'll stick with the Brittania's food and drink!

BTW, I listen to Hurricane Net during the worst ones- The ones two years ago in Florida which affected so much of my family and friends. It is broadcast live over the internet. (on one of the traffic net freqs, but over IP)

Of course, you know that I live and work not far from W1AW, ARRL. (Newington CT)

Karie,

who rues the demise of the last CW marine station a few years back

P.S. If you didn't see the references on here to the old QM and her deck plans over various incarnations, there was a link- I have it bookmarked, to the last CW broadcast from her. The last one out of the Hudson River, (to Tuckerton Radio (relay station)

http://www.sterling.rmplc.co.uk/visions/wireless.html

and the last one as she signed off for good, and they let the tone simply die off as they pulled the power. It was one of the saddest and eeriest sounds I believe I have ever heard. I had tears simply streaming down my face. No CW'er or code "bug" could hear it with dry eyes. Later, Queen Mary’s Radio Officer made a final, emotional sign off by keying his transmitter, and hitting the power switch, allowing that beautiful, broad signal to fade off into oblivion.

http://www.jacksjoint.com/queen.htm

It will rip your heart out. Non CW readers can read the English translation of the last transmission, both on this link, and on the Jack's Joint link inside it. No Queen-lover could read or listen to this with a dry eye.

CQ DE GBSS BT AMVER NOW QTP LONG BEACH — FOREVER BT (*)73*S (**)VA**

I also have other links with distress calls (Simulated from the old short wave) that was the only hope for one ship. It got through when nothing else could and the other radios were all down.

BTW, QE2 now bears Queen Mary's call sign, GBTT

I apologize for the long post. But some of you will love those links, be you a Ham or a liner and history fan.

Archived