Norway - Latest News

marktac

I came across some new photos from the Norway in Alang posted on website

http://www.ss-norway.com/

Apparently there is a Norwegian guy who has the rights to ultimately auction off the stuff from the Norway and therefore received approval to go onboard in Alang and take photos. For you Norway fans the photo inside and outside the ship are worth viewing and are both surprising and depressing. I thought the ship was basically packed up as it was from its last cruise and would be ready to be unpacked and cruise again someday. Well was I dead wrong! The ship looks like tornados blew through the inside of the ship leaving everything a mess...almost like the ship had been ransacked by looters...not what I expected at all! And the photos from the inner working areas of the ship like the engine room are pathetic...looks like those areas of the ship could never be used again...not sure if this is from the explosion, years of neglect or the temporary non-NCL crew that has been maintaining her for the past months?

Anyway, take a look at the photos...you will be surprised!

Mark:cool:

Like WHERE on that web site are the "interior" photos of the SS Norway from Alang?

Can you provide a DIRECT link?

I spent 30 minutes looking for them, but dang if I could find the "interior" photos.

All I could find were "exterior" photos!

Click on the blue box that says the Last of the SS Norway Web Auctions

When you go to the next screen just click on Images...after that you can choose which photots you would like to view

Like most of us you will be shocked with what you see...not so much with the rust on the outside but with the ransacked appearance of much of the inside

I did have the privilege of sailing on her twice out of Miami

You could use the term lived in if the salvage crew lives very hard like the old movie Animal House...reminds me of what you see from non-stop partying...so I can understand and respect our fellow poster's description of lived in but I choose to stick with my description of ransacked or looted

:cool:

Wow. :( Wish I could keep the memories of the beautiful Norway in my mind and not those photos! Our two favorite places onboard during our wedding week were Club Internationale and the Spa. Both looked really sad. Thanks for sharing the website though.

Here you go - From pages still buried on NCL.com that I am sure will go with the new website

http://www.ncl.com/fleet/05/pubrms.htm]

05_clbint.jpg.1101dd863721a6e3905bf25c53fbaa3a.jpg

We sailed her on 3 cruises including a trans-atlantic. Does anyone know what happened to the crew? I would asume they were dispersed to other ships in NCLs fleet. I remeber Romona from Romania in the Bistro, Bakir the head waiter etc, and the bartender in the Internatioal Lounge.

Thanks for the direct link. It doesn't look trashed out to me.

Just lived in......

Well, if I lived in a mess like that, I'd be getting me a new wife right about now. :)

Part of the mess was probably caused by NCL in clearing out what they wanted. I'm surprised that they left many of the awards and such that the ship and crew had gotten over the years. I guess that they weren't really important to management. It appears that much artwork has already been removed.

Now that the ship is beached, no telling who is able to rummage through beginning the process of seeing who will get what. If you read the ebook Road to Alang you see photos of so much of this stuff ending up in open air markets near the breakers. Looks like a yard sale dream come true for cruisers, unfortunately.

Will be interesting to see if this stuff becomes collectible or junk over the next few years.

Mark T

Personally, to me it looks like a lot of the art was not removed. The two quartz encrusted statues in Club International are still there. The portraits above the bandstand are still in place. There are a lot of collectibles still on board. I wonder if Peter Knego will be successful in acquiring much of this rich history.

PE<---will buy some of it, if it becomes available...

Well, if I lived in a mess like that, I'd be getting me a new wife right about now. :)
That's a very ambiguous statement!

Would you be getting a new wife because your current wife wouldn't put up with the mess?

Or would you be getting a new wife because your current wife isn't doing a good enough job at clearing up the mess?

;) :D

Would you be getting a new wife because your current wife wouldn't put up with the mess?

Or would you be getting a new wife because your current wife isn't doing a good enough job at clearing up the mess?

If its the later then I need to let my soon to be wife read this, so she'll know what happens!!! :D :D :D

I've got a very sexist joke that was told to me about a woman with two black eyes that answers the question at hand, but I won't share it for the very obvious reasons. :)

Mark T

P.S. I really do know where the dishwasher soap is.

I've got a very sexist joke that was told to me about a woman with two black eyes that answers the question at hand, but I won't share it for the very obvious reasons. :)
Now look what you've done. Yesterday I had to look up what the "elbow test" is, now today I've had to look up this joke! :D

i wonder how many toilets there are on the Norway anyway? I am sure that when removed, they will help India improve their third world country infrastructure by increasing the number of working toilets and of course sinks. I read some where that the restrooms have holes in the floor.

I was going back through the old posts and found this one....did you see the racks of toilets setting on top of other toilets in one of the interior photos? I'm 54, and I've never broken a toilet. What on earth did they need so many for? Do they just stockpile them because of their consistent design, or did they really have a replacement issue that required so many?

Guess that is one question that I'll never find an answer for now.

Mark T

Thanks Mark T,

Good point that supports my statement. With all of those new toilets in supply on Norway there is definitely going to be an improvement to the infrastructure in India.

I don't know how many of you have visited countries with holes in the floor for toilets but let me tell you from personal experience it is not easy to use them!!!

I bet that the scrappers remove all of the toilets from the cabins and sell them also even if they are a bit used!

Mark:cool:

Archived