Norway - Latest News

marktac

As another poster said, it's business. The bottom line. No point in preserving history (or letting anyone else do so) if there aren't big bucks in it. That's why the world has no landmarks or museums. :(

I went to this little city called Washington D.C. a few weeks back, and there was this place there it looked so much like a museum, it was called the Smithsonian or something, I don't really remember. Lot of old timey stuff in there. Oh and when I was in DC I saw this building with this old timey looking guy all big and imposing sitting in this chair. Pretty cool looking thing, almost like a landmark.

Unless you have some information that some of the German Norway interests didn't, it was reported only major art works where stripped. It was understood that much of the ship was still in very good shape.

I feel very sorry for the "impoverished little shipbreakers" that must break the Norway to make a living. However for the Government and the business that accepted the Norway, they are proving why India is still a third world country.

Yes, I do have inside info:rolleyes: Colin gave me a list:D ......this is not a political forum, nor we here to right all of the wrongs of the world......or at least the parts of the world that destroyed all of their museums and landmarks:rolleyes:

Luv,

I agree with you 100%...can you imagine if several years ago when the Statue of Liberty was bascially falling apart and unsafe for visitors that the US government said it's too old so tear it down and we will build something new to replace it...now I know that the Norway is a ship but it is part of our history moreso than most other ships that have sailed or do sail the ocean. I don't think there would be a large following of cc members when the Fascination, Ecstacy, Wind, Sea or Nordic Empress are scrapped.

I believe the reason for the delay in cutting-up the Norway is due to the time it will take for the Indians to go into every cabin, lounge, restroom etc to remove all salvageable fixtures, furniture etc for sale onshore as well as removing any equipment that can be salvaged...:cool:

The US Government paid for the restoration of the Statute of Liberty(which is an interesting story since the arm had been attached wrong), or more rightfully tax money was used. Which I am glad they did. Neither the French nor Norwegian governments wished to maintain the ship as a museum- I wouldn't expect a private company to do that(BTW most "private museums" get government subsidies because they can't support themself). The Intrepid is being renovated at at cost that will exceed a 25,000,000-- and guess where the money is coming from. Its true that the Statute which was a gift from the French government was put up with money donated by Private sources but it has been maintained by public money. The Queen Mary has gone bankrupt. The US maintains a fleet of museum ships that stretch back to the Revolutionary war but most countries don't(is there a WW II capital museum ship maintained by the brits?)...The US maintains many such ships. Every country that wished to had a chance to "save" the Norway...but its time was gone(the NY South Street Museum passed on it too and in fact is looking to get rid of one of its ships because they are too costly to maintain).

Its also different about the Statue of Liberty which was a landmark to begin with. The France/Norway has had its day. Its time to recycle her.

Yes, I do have inside info:rolleyes: Colin gave me a list:D ......this is not a political forum, nor we here to right all of the wrongs of the world......or at least the parts of the world that destroyed all of their museums and landmarks:rolleyes:

Die hard Norway fans if your looking for someone that personally knows Mr. Veitch the above OP does.

Good point...maybe Seahorse can tell Colin about the disenchantment many of us loyal NCL Latitude cruisers have with NCL. From the day of the explosion up til now, there has been vague and inaccurate information provided by NCL to customers on their position with Norway, United States and Independence. At first I believed the information provided on these ships but now I do not. Follwing up on what someone esle posted, I believe NCL never had any intention of doing anything but scrapping the Norway, knew of the asbestos problem and was looking for a way out of German waters...I also now believe that NCL bought the Indendence and United States as a scheme to monopolize the US waters and have no intention of doing anyhting with these two ships other than towing them to India...although I think the US defense department may give them a hard time with the United States.

I will not cruise with NCL anymore and I realize that I only take one cruise a year and therefore will not cause Colin to lose any sleep...however if all of us NCL cruisers voice our opinion to Colin this way maybe he will lose a little sleep even if it is only for a while. I will take my vacation dollars and sail with Royal Caribbean or Carnival.:cool:

The OP is the one that stated it!

And you're the one that thinks the Norway fans should gang up and take your anger out on her (even though you have since edited it out of your post) AND THAT'S BS!

-Monte

And you're the one that thinks the Norway fans should gang up and take your anger out on her (even though you have since edited it out of your post) AND THAT'S BS!

-Monte

Just trying to make you happy- trying not to offend anyone. Sorry not trying to start a war.

If you like it better i'll change it back.

The Norway is a touchy subject with her loyal following.

Good point...maybe Seahorse can tell Colin about the disenchantment many of us loyal NCL Latitude cruisers have with NCL.

I will not cruise with NCL anymore and I realize that I only take one cruise a year and therefore will not cause Colin to lose any sleep...however if all of us NCL cruisers voice our opinion to Colin this way maybe he will lose a little sleep even if it is only for a while. I will take my vacation dollars and sail with Royal Caribbean or Carnival.:cool:

I believe that would be Mr. Veitch to you:cool: BTW ALL of us loyal NCL cruisers do not feel as you do:)

If you like it better i'll change it back.

The BS isn't that you edited your post, but rather that you would call on others to attack a poster.

Or can't you see that?

No matter how heated discussions might be on the boards, this is the first time I've seen a post such as "gang up and take your anger on the above OP"

-Monte

Sea,

That is to be expected since we do live in a democracy that promotes diversity of opinion and the ability to express such...I find it easier to spell Colin when I am typing...I am sure that he does not read these boards so it makes little or no difference anyway! If you choose to continue to support NCL that is fine with me just as I would imagine you would feel about those of us Latitude members who do not.:cool:

Sea,

That is to be expected since we do live in a democracy that promotes diversity of opinion and the ability to express such...I find it easier to spell Colin when I am typing...I am sure that he does not read these boards so it makes little or no difference anyway! If you choose to continue to support NCL that is fine with me just as I would imagine you would feel about those of us Latitude members who do not.:cool:

That is Seahorse to you:p I hope that you do see that I have my tongue planted firmly in cheek:D

I support ALL cruiselines:)

It's always so interesting to see how a comment laced with sarcasm (about there being no landmarks or museums in the world) can elicit such serious feedback. Guys, I live in Virginia. I can't walk 2 feet without tripping over some preserved Civil War battlefield, monument, etc. Are they worth preserving? That's another debate.

Is the last of the great ocean liners worth preserving? To me, it's a no brainer. YES it was. Unfortunately, the right people (the ones with big money who could make it happen) didn't agree with me.

The majority of my cruises (24) have been with NCL. I have no plans to cruise with them again because I think the current fleet is lackluster, notwithstanding the cartoony hulls. As a former faithful customer, I plan to write to Mr. Veitch to let him know of my disappointment with the way the Norway was handled (the misinformation, deception with the German authorities, foisting it off on a country ill-equipped to handle the asbestos, willing as India is to let its workers die, etc.).

I will also be watching to see if NCL doesn't make good with the Independence and SSUS, and write my congressman and senators if NCL tries to pull another fast one. Fair is fair. If NCL doesn't make use of the ships as it promised in exchange for exclusive rights in Hawaii, NCL deserves to lose those rights.

I was just thinking that this thread and the NCL / Norway / United States / Independence stories would make an excellent investigative report on a show like 60 Minutes or Dateline...I wonder if they have staff members who search the internet for stories? I can just picture this playing well on those type of shows.:cool:

Hi Sea ;) (Ann). I know you don't need defending! Tell Colin I said "HI" (I think he & I are now on a first name basis). LOL

-Monte

Yes you are Monte.........I put in a good word for you;)

Actually what I forgot to say is that I started a petition to throw away that darn bell we have hanging around Philadelphia........it is cracked ya know.:( .......I say scrap it:eek:

Thank you, Mark. I'm totally on the same wavelength with you on this. Freestyle cruising doesn't have me enamored with NCL that I'm willing to overlook all the double-dealing and deceit that's been going on since the explosion in 2003.

Several other cruise lines have faced very difficult situations in recent times and haven't resorted to playing shell games with the public the way NCL/Star has with the Norway. I suspect a lot of the posters here haven't followed the situation as closely as some of us. Believe it or not, we were interested in its historical value, not just its potential to have a dozen more restaurants.

In my opinion, this whole sorry episode has given NCL a big black eye in the PR department, and in booking future cruises, NCL won't be on my short list.

You are quite welcome. I remember the old NCL prior to the acquisition by Star and think they were a better company even though they were hurting for cash. I also remember believing that the acquisition by Star with the promise of cash and autonomy would mean a bigger and better NCL...well it turned out to be a bigger NCL but I do not believe it is a better NCL...I am willing to bet that the promised autonomy was only a promise and the plays are called in from Malaysia.

One has to wonder what the cruise industry and specifically NCL would be like to day if Royal Caribbean had been able to purchase both NCL and Princess? I believe that it would be better since RCCL has kept its promise in permitting Celebrity to remain as it was and did not try to make it into a RCCL clone. Maybe if we are lucky, Carnival will decide to purchase Star? Can't be any worse than what we have today and hopefully it would be better!:cool:

Actually what I forgot to say is that I started a petition to throw away that darn bell we have hanging around Philadelphia........it is cracked ya know.:( .......I say scrap it:eek:

Have they tried to fill that crack? If they're just looking to make it presentable some body putty could do the job. Or they could just Spackle over it and paint

-Monte

Archived