Norway - Latest News

marktac

Mark,

The post you just made is much more offensive to me than the first one.

I'm sorry that you have so little faith in the editorial integrity of Cruise Critic, but I certainly hope that the editors and publisher of the singularly most important consumer cruise publication in the world never pander to those who would dictate what the "news" should be or how to present it.

Jana

Jana,

I hope that the CC news story is going to include all of the false and misleading statements and actions taken by NCL and Star in this entire process. As one member said, Germany should take Star and NCL to court for what they pulled off with Norway.

?

Mark did you ever think many don't see it the way you do ? Why would you expect any cruise based enterprise to take the one sided view you put forth.

Not saying that you are not entitled to your opion but there are many other ways to look at the events that got us to this point, The end of the road for a once beautiful old lady.

Those of us who sailed on her will miss her.

Sorry but maybe I'm the only one on these boards who sailed on the Norway and didn't like it.

I'm sorry to see here being broken and I'm glad I did go on her but I would have no wish to travel on her again.

Give me the Dawn anyday.:)

On 8/15/06, the Times of India reported that on that morning, the Blue Lady (ex SS Norway) had been beached at Alang, India, after getting the go-ahead from the Indian Supreme Court. The story can be found here: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/1895897.cms. Those of us who sailed on her will miss her.

Misleading maybe, but I don't agree with false.

Here's a listing of the news about the Norway since the boiler explosion.

http://www.maritimematters.com/shipnews2003a.html

Dates of interest: May 25 and May 27.

http://www.maritimematters.com/shipnews2003b.html

Dates of interest: June 9 June 27 June 28 July 19 July 21 September 13 and September 25

http://www.maritimematters.com/shipnews2004a.html

Dates of interest: January 9 March 17 and April 1

http://www.maritimematters.com/shipnews2004b.html

Dates of interest: September 1 and September 14

http://www.maritimematters.com/shipnews2005a.html

Dates of interest: February 23 February 25 March 3 April 4 April 6 May 8 May 11 and May 25

http://www.maritimematters.com/shipnews2005b.html

Dates of interest: June 28 August 10 and August 13

http://www.maritimematters.com/shipnews2005d.html

Dates of interest: November 24 December 19 December 23 and December 28

http://www.maritimematters.com/shipnews2006a.html

Dates of interest: January 8 January 20 February 13 and February 20

http://www.maritimematters.com/shipnews2006b.html

Dates of interest: April 17 April 27 May 6 May 19 May 24 June 5 June 25 June 26 June 28 June 29 and June 30

http://www.maritimematters.com/shipnews.html

Dates of interest: July 7 July 11 July 14 July 28 August 1 August 7 August 12 August 14 August 15 and August 17

Those news items in late 2005 and 2006 aren't great news. But those from late 2003, 2004 and early 2005 suggest that NCL did try to sell the Norway several times to other parties than scrappers. I'm sorry none of them worked out. But scap and recycling is what's done to ships when no one wants them anymore. The Norway isn't the first cruise ship to be scrapped at Alang, nor will it be the last.

Sorry but maybe I'm the only one on these boards who sailed on the Norway and didn't like it.

I'm sorry to see here being broken and I'm glad I did go on her but I would have no wish to travel on her again.

Give me the Dawn anyday.:)

I really enjoyed the Norway. My sister on the other hand to this day calls the ship the Borway:) She hated their one cruise on the ship.

Back in the day the Norway was the number one NCL topic online - The mixed reviews put NCLA reviews to shame.

Funny... when I had the opportunity to sail on her I wasn't interested. An old boat was just an old boat.

Now that my friendship with Peter Knego and Host Doug have opened my eyes to the glories of "old boats," I can't.

(I am going to go on Saga Rose, though, and now that I know more about the history of these vessels, I will enjoy every second of it).

Jana

My wife and I sailed on the Norway as our first cruise. We chose the Norway over RCCL's Explorer of the seas. It came down to in the end we could get a nice pool deck ocean view cabin for the price of a RCCL interior. After cruising on a couple of other newer ships we still love and talk about the Norway. Sure some might chalk it up the just being our first cruise. Many people who wrote complaints about the Norway may be right she did lack many of the newer amenities that today's ships have. Because of this message board we knew about those things ahead of time, like tendering or no giant open atrium like the newer ships or the chaotic GOR restaurant. But in our opinion the Norway had somethings the newer ship don't, we are glad we got the opportunity to sail on her just two weeks before her boiler blew. I still remember on our hallway to our cabin how the hallway actually followed the contour of the hull line, not impressive to most but it let you know her real beginnings as an ocean liner.

the latest news is that the supreme court has ordered that no one from the breakers do anything to the ship and that nothing is to be done until a decision over whethher the norway was brought to india illegally and another inspection is made to look at really how much asbestos is actuallyon the ship. probably just another short delay to the ships ultimate demise but just to show that here might be alittle hope. rumors are circulating that the german or malaysian gov'ts might have the power to recall the ship since it left their waters on false grounds. It doesn't look like this "soap opera" is ever going to end... I hate to keep refering you guys to ssmaritime.com but it seems like the only place where thorough reports are given, despite its bias-ness.

:cool: I hate to keep refering you guys to ssmaritime.com but it seems like the only place where thorough reports are given, despite its bias-ness.

Thank you...that was my point all along...why is the Norway apparently such a well kep secret as far as news services go? That French Aircraft Carrier was all over the news when it was headed for Alang and turned around due to contaniments!

Thank you for the comment and observation and thank maritime matters for the updates!

I find it interesting, as the OP, that despite the protestations of one CC staffer there is still no "news" on CC about the Norway and her recent travails. I never cruised on her, and haven't really thoroughly enjoyed my 3 cruises on NCL in the past, but I saw this as a significant cruising event that was NOT being covered except on maritimematters.com. That is why I started the thread.

CC, if you are as significant a cruising periodical as you think you are in your own mind, why not step up and at least put a little teaser on the front page indicating that the ship has, in fact, been beached, causing it more damage I'm sure, and that there are legal people trying now to determine its status and fate.

THAT is what the other Mark was curious about, and now so am I.

Mark T

Mark T

I too think it is a story worth a mention at least. If I look at it another way this commercial site is all about promoting the current cruise industry.

Bad news does not sell a cruise :)

If you read this thread many are hear on the NCL board because they are sad even mad. No intention of ever booking an NCL cruise. Several have pointed out a complete dislike for the industry. If you were running a business like this are those the people you want to tailor your articles to:confused: They are not going to click on the ads and drive income.

Unlike a newsgroup this is a private site with a business plan. Throwing rocks does not help that plan.

If we do see an article my bet it will not be about what some here see as "lies" but rather a nice story of the passing of a grand ship. Sad ending with a focus the grand days the ship had. The spin has to make people want to cruise not hate the current industry. Leave that to cruisejunkie, Green Peace and Maritime Matters.

Just my $.02 from the outside looking in.

I agree bad new doesnt sell, but that doesnt stop CC from posting information about other bad incidents at sea. Like fires, listings, and missing people.

I agree I think CC has been a little behind in posting something on it's news section given the Norway's long career as a cruise ship and the many who have cruised on her.

Packer,

That is for sure! I had a chance to see the Queen Mary 2 going out see under the Verazzano this past week and let me tell you she does not have the lines of the Norway or of the QE2. Even though QM2 is an ocean going cruise ship (ocean liner) she looks like one of those new floating refrigerators with a dark hull.

Maybe our next cause will be to save the QE2???

Mark:cool:

I agree about the bad news not selling....well sort of. CC is supposed to be impartial, and they have posted articles about the good and the bad in the past. I view the France/Norway/Blue Lady as a passage in time. She received a second chance after the French were not going to make a difference (seems to be something they are still good at, but I digress....). She served well as an early Caribbean cruiser, but her time really was about over. NCL had plans to pull her from the Carib the year before the boiler blew, so the handwriting was on the wall.

I'm not so much into blaming NCL/Star for information/misinformation/disinformation, as are some. They quite probably made a sound business decision, and that is what they are...a business. And that is what Alang does better (more efficiently?) than anyone else.

France had a second chance to make a permanent attraction out of her, but they didn't. But, in their defense, who bought the Queen Mary and made a hotel attraction out of her, preserving a bit of history? The British? No, the US.

Sometimes, even special things reach the point where they must be disposed of. And to me, THAT is the real story here.

CC, why not have one of your traditional cruise liner lovers out there write a fitting closing story, a tribute to a full life, if you will. Anything would be better than silence.

Mark T

Archived