Whats To Do In Costa Maya?

hockeypapa

Grand Cayman - one word ROLEX Time to shop!!! If you aren't a shopper, there are some wonderful independent tours that will save you money that are listed in the ports section.

Costa Maya will be a day at the beach and pool at the end of the pier for us.

Each to their own interests but I would not miss the David and Ivan tour of the ruins in Costa Maya. It is the most interesting, fascinating tour I have ever experienced. Shopping in Costa Maya was not as good as other ports except for inexpensive local crafts...certainly, the silver jewelry selection and price was much better in Cozumel. As far as swimming in a pool, you can do that anywhere.....why not see the ruins, a unique, enriching experience unlike any other.

Grand Cayman - one word ROLEX Time to shop!!!

LOL -- I was a retail jeweler and watchmaker for over 20 years. I saw quite a lot of "Rolexes" that people bought in the Caribbean. Let me put it this way: Where do you think the phrase "tourist trap" came from??

Native Way tours was great in the Caymans. For $45 per person, we did the Stingray and Island tour. We went to Hell, the turtle farm, the tortuga rum store to sample rum and rumcake, and then on to Stingray City. A very worthwhile tour! Look them up on line!

Costa Maya, we went throught the hole in the fence to Cha Chi resort. MUCH less crowded (and adventurous;) ) than the port (crowded) pool!

Costa Maya, we went throught the hole in the fence to Cha Chi resort. MUCH less crowded (and adventurous;) ) than the port (crowded) pool!

Do you think maybe there was a reason that a fence was there, regardless of the fact there was a hole in it?:confused: :confused: Just curious about what your thinking was to use those facilities?

Do you think maybe there was a reason that a fence was there, regardless of the fact there was a hole in it?:confused: :confused: Just curious about what your thinking was to use those facilities?

I'm with you Musicman1024, as someone in law enforcement, a fence (no matter whether its a privacy/chain link/barb wire/other) means one thing: restricted access pending owner's approval. I wouldn't want to find out what would happen if someone was caught and action was taken against them in another country (regardless of a tourist port or not).

I'm with you Musicman1024, as someone in law enforcement, a fence (no matter whether its a privacy/chain link/barb wire/other) means one thing: restricted access pending owner's approval. I wouldn't want to find out what would happen if someone was caught and action was taken against them in another country (regardless of a tourist port or not).

There is a VERY VERY extensive thread on this topic, actually its quite sad what happened with the port, resorts, etc. They are making up shirts that say "I went through the hole in the wall gang" or something to that effect, its all rather hilarious- anyway- I'll be there next week, and I'm going through the hole- gosh darnit!

The owner of the property on the other side of the fence wants people to come over there. He has a resort and of course wants and needs the business. The port owners put up the fence to keep people on THEIR section of the land, spending money that will go to them--not the competition. If people don't want to risk going through the fence they can always take a taxi, rent a golf cart, etc. to get on the other side, but the owner of Chac-Chi, the resort welcomes all who come there.

• 2 weeks later...
Where do I go to find out about them?

Hey Illinois - Check out http://www.chacchobenruins.com/. This is David & Ivan's site and should answer many of your questions. I toured with Ivan this past Friday and can unconditionally recommend them. Our tour group of 10 people were given one of the most informative and attentive tours any of us had probably been on. Also, read Ivan's bio in particular. Considering he was born on the grounds of the ruins, his connection to the area cannot be surpassed by any other tour operator.

Let me know if you have any other questions. :)

• 2 weeks later...

We (me, wife, 2 kids) were at Costa Maya this past Tuesday (19th) on the Disney Magic. We walked to the back of the port area, and paid $3 per person to ride a small bus (or a big van), which seated about 14 or 16 people. The driver dropped us off at the end of town. I forgot to mention I was approached by a gentleman back at the port, and he gave me a brochure for Tequila beach. They had an "all inclusive" package for about $32 per person. After we were dropped off at Majahaul, we walked down the street looking for a beach area we liked. We were approached every 25 or 30 feet with offers to look at merchandise, or waiters wanting us to try their beach. We ended up at El Faro (I think that was the name). Why? You say. Because we were tired of getting harrased by the locals. Anyway, every beach/bar seemed to be the same, or at least it looked that way to me. Everyone I walked by offered $1 cokes, free chips and salsa. So if you go, don't pay to use their beach, they are more than happy to let you use their chairs, as long as you buy some food and drinks. Our waiter set us some lounge chairs on the beach, but we stayed at the table most of the time under the umbrella. The sun was really bright that day. Our waiter was very friendly, and didn't bother us, but checked on us every once in a while to see if we needed anything. Little kids came by probably 4 or 5 times wanted to sell us bracelets. A man with a guitar came by and sang "LaBamba" and wanted $3 for one song. Me and my wife did the 45 minute massage for $20. It was very good. The chips and salsa were the best we had ever eaten. We also had 3 chicken tacos with rice on the side for $5. Virgin Pina Coladas were $3. The total bill (not including tip) was $19. Oh yeah, our waiter suggested a coconut to drink. So he cut the top off of one and stuck a straw in it. He said it was "good for you." It may have been good for us, but it didn't taste good. None of us liked it. It was $2. My son wanted one of those giant sombreros (you know, the gawdy looking ones). Anyway, we could have bought one in Majahaul for $15 (started at $30), but I was running low on cash, because I didn't bring enough from the ship, so we ended buying one back at the port. It was $20 there. The reason I mentioned this is because Majahual seemed to be the better place to find cheaper prices on mechandise, rather that at the port. Or at least in the case of a giant sombrero. Also, jet ski's were $35 for 30 minutes. At the port, they have a free shuttle that takes you from one end of the pier, to the other. That was real nice, especially after being in the hot sun for several hours. If you buy something at the port, wait until the last hour or so before your ship leaves. The prices seemed to go lower at the end of the day, since they knew the ships were leaving. A good photo opportunity, while you're walking down Majahaul main street with the beach on your left. There was a vendor with the words "Mexican Wol-Mart" above his stand. And that's the way it was spelled, Wol-Mart. Bottom line, we had a fun 2.5 hours in Majahaul.

Archived