What is there to do once on Caye Caulker?

SUSANITA

We sailed to Belize last year and arranged a private shark/ray alley tour, which was nice, but we don't really want to do it again. We did spend about one hour on Caye Caulker, and spent all of that time having lunch.

I would be interested in going back to Caye Caulker for our February cruise, I really enjoyed the beauty of the island, but I'm not sure what there is to actually do on the island? We will have our kids with us, ages 11 and 9 at sail time.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

We were in Belize on the 6/27 sailing of the Paradise. By default we ended up doing our own excursion to Caye Caulker (Coral Breeze had engine trouble). From the tourist village, walk left along the road closest to the water. The water taxi building is about a 5-10 minutes walk. The building will be on your left from the road. The building reminds me of a bus terminal or train terminal that you would see in a 30 or 40's movie --- I was almost expecting segregation. At the ticket vendor you get your ticket ---- it was $17 american for a round trip per person (the sign says $35 but that's Belizian $'s). They call you to get on --- San Pedro folks are first then Caye Caulker. The boat is open and it is the mode of transportation for the locals and their supplies. We travelled with lumber and rattan furniture on the way to the island. The trip is 30-40 minutes. When you arrive, walk down the pier to the first street. There are all kinds of quaint, little shops, bars, interesting things to see. You can rent a golf cart to go all over the island if you want. We didn't do that. If you turn to the right at the first intersection and walk to the end you will reach the "split". The split is the best place to swim. We had a great time. There is a bar there that has lots of cold Belkin beer ($1.50 a bottle), the chicken sandwich and fries were good too ($6.00). We got the 3:00 water taxi back to the mainland in order to tender back to the ship in time. The only problem we had was that on the way home we ran into a storm. The boat isn't covered. The crew gave us tarps to use. To me this storm was like a monsoon, I was sure the headlines would soon say 12 Americans lost at sea on local water taxi. Well, that didn't happen, and now its kind of funny and something none of us will forget. Once back on the mainland, just reverse back to the tourist village to catch the tender.

Caye Caulker is a beautiful resort island. There are shops, beaches, bars, restaurants, etc. We went on the Coral Breeze Caye Caulker tour which included 2 snorkel locations, lunch and time to play on Caye Caulker. We entertained taking the water taxi but there were so many logistics to work out that it was easier to just pay one company to do it all for us. This was definitely the right choice. We spent a wonderful day with Coral Breeze. Their staff was friendly, the equipment was in great shape, their boat was very comfortable (and covered which was nice), and the tour was simply top notch. We had several people in our group and of course no one could agree on the same thing to do in Belize. Some snorkeled, some stayed on the boat and watched (or jumped in the water for a swim), and others just spent the day on Caye Caulker while the rest of us were snorkeling. The nice thing was that this tour company did it all for us. We can't say enough about their professionalism and the memorable day they provided for us. This is the way to go in Belize.

Archived