Ziplining?

tigermaroon2

I figure this will get moved, but it's not a "port specific" question so I didn't know where to put it.

Can anyone tell me about ziplining? How strenuous is it? How high is the "thrill factor" of doing it?

My wife is prone to being a bit panicky on some amusement rides....especially those that are exceptionally high...she's interested in ziplining, but the last thing I want to do is get her out on an excursion like this and she panic....

Any advice appreciated and to the mods, if you move the topic, I understand. I just wasn't sure where to put it exactly.

I figure this will get moved, but it's not a "port specific" question so I didn't know where to put it.

Can anyone tell me about ziplining? How strenuous is it? How high is the "thrill factor" of doing it?

My wife is prone to being a bit panicky on some amusement rides....especially those that are exceptionally high...she's interested in ziplining, but the last thing I want to do is get her out on an excursion like this and she panic....

Any advice appreciated and to the mods, if you move the topic, I understand. I just wasn't sure where to put it exactly.

Hubby has a fear of heights and he did fine. In Puerto Vallarta, the Los Des Vernos has some slow walking up a hill to start your tour, but it ends right at the restaurant with no additional walking required. Some zipline tours do have strenuos walking after the tour. I have read a much as 45 minutes, so I would do research into each individual company you are thinking about using.

Common sense tells us that to "start high" or "end low" some walking will be required. But in PV, they were able to design the course to keep the strenous walking to a minimum.

Hubby said it was a pleasant ride where he felt completely secure the entire time.

My daughter and I did the Belize zipling tour from Carnival's Miracle. I am 50, she's 22. I am a bit afraid of hights and not very adventurous, but LOVED it! A bit of a hke uphill through jungle-more like forest. It's scary to jump off but because of a line behind you and very safety conscious staff, you have to do it and it is just fun. Don't miss it, everyone, even the most scared, enjoyed the trip.

We did the canopy tour in Montego Bay last year, and DH is very afraid of heights. He was nervous until we got started, but he was so glad he went! You have all kinds of safety gear on, and you start with small runs and move your way up. They ease you in. Our hike was very uphill, but not otherwise hard. Hope that helps, have fun!

Wanted to go on this trip too!

My daughter and I did the Belize zipling tour from Carnival's Miracle. I am 50, she's 22. I am a bit afraid of hights and not very adventurous, but LOVED it! A bit of a hke uphill through jungle-more like forest. It's scary to jump off but because of a line behind you and very safety conscious staff, you have to do it and it is just fun. Don't miss it, everyone, even the most scared, enjoyed the trip.

How was the walk on your knees - My husband doesn't complain but his knees do. He is in good shape and 57 and my back is the complainer 45.

How did you feel?

Thanks for any input.

Carol from Tennessee

Once you are on the ziplines, your back and knees should be ok. The harness goes around your hip and waist. It puts you in a sitting position as you travel down the line. What would be a concern is the walk to the first platform. In Belize (Jaguar Paw), from the parking area to the assemble area was a couple minute walk. After getting on your harness, it's a five minute to ten minute hike to the zipline area. There is a climb up the side of the hill to the first platform. I would guess the climb is at most 100 yards. If you have pain walking up a flight of stairs, it may be a problem. If you can make it from your cabin to the lido deck using the stairs because the elevators are too crowded, make your reservations today.

The ziplining itself is not strenuous. The hike was a bit tough (In Belize/Jaguar Paw Resort) and there is a bit more uphill hiking in between some of the ziplines. I was all for this(I suggested this excursion) and was very nervous/shaky during the zipping. I wouldn't show my fear because the kids were with us but I don't think my heart has ever beat so fast in all my life! It was fun. If your wife does panic they can let her repel down (a man in his 50's was afraid of heights and on the third platform couldn't continue and they had to lower him down). I guess he walked back to the starting/ending point. It was fun and scary. I would most likely do it again if given the chance.

It was definately a thrill....I'm not a roller coaster type person...I ahte them...and I have to say that I wasn't even thinking about it until I got to the first tree and realized once I was harnassed and ready to go that I was scared...but I had no choice...I did it...scared out of my mind...but when I got to the other end it was so much fun and exilirating....although my hands were trembling and all of my pictures came out blurry...it was worth it...the second one was a little more scarier since it was higher and longer...but I did it again felt better by the third tree. The rest of the way I was having a blast and not even using my break! The only other scary part is the rapelling...it was a little nerve racking...but when I got to the bottom I was willing to do it all over again..and it really wasn't as scary as I thought from the first tree....

Note: there is a small hike..but just consider it a 15 minute cardio session...its good for the heart...mostly going up steps...This was in Belize by the way...

• 3 weeks later...

Archived