Just how badly did the cruise mess up your baby's sleep schedule???

my2sons

My 7.5 month old goes to sleep at about 6:15 pm, which means 4:15 pm Pacific (Alaska) time:eek: How the heck is that supposed to work? I'm hoping he will adjust the time somewhat and plan on trying to drag him around (sleeping) in his stroller for the first part of the evening but I know he won't get very good quality sleep that way. However, retiring to my room at 4 pm, or even 6 pm every evening doesn't really feel like an option. I've been trying to shift his schedule a little bit later here at home before we leave but it's a struggle. If we go somewhere in the evening here at home and there's lots of stimulation he can stay up later at not too great a cost but wondering what happens after doing that a few nights in a row!

Tell me it's all going to be ok :)

My 7.5 month old goes to sleep at about 6:15 pm, which means 4:15 pm Pacific (Alaska) time:eek:

One thing, Pacific time and Alaska time are different times. Alaska is one hour behind Pacific time.

What cruise line are you going on? That can work to your advantage :) - we took a cruise when our daughter was 16 months and went to bed at 7:00pm - we would put her down every night at 7,(she was exhausted from the sun and activity) then had a RCI in-room babysitter come from 8pm - midnight every night - easy job for the babysitter because our daughter was never awake when she was there! Then we would go to late dinner seating and have a nice relaxing dinner. It worked out great, best of both worlds.

Our daughter has been on 3 cruises now, and I do find that she is pretty tired by evening. But I think it depends on your child, ours has always had an early bedtime.

It's all going to be ok! You've received great tips already, I just wanted to let you know that something about the motion of the ship creates great sleep for baby, so don't worry about it. I bet he sleeps fine if you decide to let him sleep in the stroller at night.

Best,

Mia

One thing, Pacific time and Alaska time are different times. Alaska is one hour behind Pacific time.

OMG, it's worse than I thought! LOL

I thought I read that Princess doesn't have private babysitters (other than paying extra to having your kids stay late at the kids club) but I just can't believe that's true, I'll call them right now.

Princess does not have private babysitters and children under three can't be left with the kids program. I still choose them for cruises with my toddlers and it works out fine - you'll see others with babes in strollers at and after dinner.

Best,

Mia

We took DS (now 6) and DD (almost 4) to Alaska in May. At home, they're in bed by 7:30 and asleep by 8:00 and awake by 6:30 to 7:00 each morning. (We'd love to move their bedtimes a little later since they're older, but they just can't function with any less sleep!) Anyway, it took about two days for them to adjust to the 4-hour time change between here (SC) and Seattle). We just kept them awake later the first few days by keeping them VERY busy. The first morning, they woke up REALLY early (about 4:00 AM Seattle time), and keeping them really quiet in our hotel until a decent hour was a challenge! They both fell asleep at dinner the first night on the ship. :) But the second day (first evening/morning actually on the ship), they went to sleep at 8:00 PST and woke up at 7:00 PST. Adding that extra hour as we crossed into Alaska on our third day seemed to affect them very little. Obviously, keeping an infant awake later than normal will be more difficult than doing so with a 3 year old, but overall, I think keeping them busy is the key. The good news for us was that returning home was a breeze. By the time the cruise was over, our bodies had adjusted to the new time and didn't mind the fact that our plane landed in SC at midnight. To us, it was only early evening! Once home, it took another two to three days to settle back into our normal schedules. Good luck, and enjoy Alaska. It was so beautiful!

Archived