Fear Of Flying To Get To Cruise

poolwife

icon1.gifFear Of Flying To Get To Cruise

If my husband and I weren't cruising with another couple on our upcoming Constellation cruise in October, I would cancel out. Some of you don't know the fear that others of us can have with flying and now with this situation, the fear has gotten major. Or at least I would change my flight plans from American Airlines to Jet Blue which is a lesser used and popular airline. Doesn't make us feel too safe since American was one of the target airlines last week. If you don't have a fear of flying it is hard to understand when someone else does.

In my opinion only, a trip/vacation is not worth all the fear I will have in flying to get there and yes, there is that concern that cruise ships might start being targeted.

Cruising is my favorite form of vacation but I can still give it up also if things get worse.

I think I will stick to cruising and flying up and down the west coast or travelling our own beautiful country in the motorhome. Some people forget our traveling in our own country. It is amazing the number of people we speak to that haven't even seen some of the major national parks we have here but yet they fly to Europe and everywhere else.

Yes, I would definitely let these terrorism threats change our plans if I could. Definitely, not worth the fear. Hard to have a good time when you are in fear of something bad happening.

THEY have won.

It's understandable to be concerned, but millions travel everyday, and although I wouldn't want to be one of the 'unlucky' ones.....no fear is going to stop me from living my life, and enjoying what I can during what time I have here on this green planet.

Do you fear people who drive while talking on cellphones? they are second to the cause of vehicular deaths next to drunk driving. Do you fear slipping on the soap in the shower in the morning....More people are killed or injured accidently in their own homes than anywhere else.

I'm not trying to be obnoxious just realistic.

Some have innate fears, phobias......Personally I'm afraid of Dentists as well as needles. I do have to take care of my teeth so my fears have to be put aside. And I do go to the doctor as little as possible. Last time they took blood I woke up 20 minutes later....So your fears ARE real...just don't let them run your life. Learn to control them...don't let them control you :)

Dave:eek:

I for one am afraid of flying terrorists or no terrorists. I finally decided instead of sitting in the plane waiting for it to crash, I would call my doctor. Now when I travel I call him and he prescribes Xanax and away I go. I just do not partake of any onboard drinks until I get to my destination. Its the only way to fly.

So get some and enjoy yourself. They are specifically made to take away anxiety.

I have great respect for the fears of others and truly believe that you need to make the decisions that work for you. That being said (and true), I work hard to manage my own fears so that the gift of each day can be enjoyed. I don't want to sound like a Pollyanna, but the terrorists have been around for many years plotting and scheming and, sometimes, creating horror. But, as Dave said, there are many other serious problems that are more likely to face each of us every day whether or not we travel or fly. I leave on Friday and I, too, am flying an American Airline. Nervous - a bit, excited about being with good friends and experiencing new things - absolutely. The excitement exceeds the nerves and I plan to have a great trip. I wish the same for you...now back to packing :)

We all have our own individual fears, you're not alone even though I don't think mine are as severe as yours. I don't fear flying, but I fear other things, such as snakes and driving on the freeway. For me, driving in a motor home, or any road trip, I feel I would more than likely face danger from other drivers. Many more people lose their life each year on our highways than from flying in commercial aircraft.

I don't know whether or not drugs are the right answer for you, but you may want to contact your doctor anyway. Any fear that paralizes your life is not good for you.

But, I'm not staying home, they can't make me.

To slotaddict:

I have used xanax in the past. It makes a person feel so tired and sleepy. I try putting my head on my husband's shoulder then I get a bad neck ache. A couple times I have flown without it and done fine but now we are back to lunatics doing crazy things. I would feel just fine losing the whole trip money cause of the fear but I'm sure my husband wouldn't hear of that cause final payment as already been made.

But, I just noticed this morning on our sailing of which the final payment was due 7/27, there is now a lot more cabins available than there were last week. I thought that was kind of strange.

I am afraid of flying and snakes so I will not be seeing Snakes on Planes. I was terrified of flying long before there were terrorists. Going on a cruise or other vacation is about all that will get me on a plane. Fortunately all of my family lives here.

Slotaddict,

I think I will try the xanax. Do you have a hangover/or a lot of grogginess when you get to your destination? Also, when do you start taking it? Just before leaving? Thanks

Linda

I for one am afraid of flying terrorists or no terrorists. I finally decided instead of sitting in the plane waiting for it to crash, I would call my doctor. Now when I travel I call him and he prescribes Xanax and away I go. I just do not partake of any onboard drinks until I get to my destination. Its the only way to fly.

So get some and enjoy yourself. They are specifically made to take away anxiety.

My doctor prescribed Xanax to me years ago. It is a blessing. Now I can travel wherever I want. I've always loved travelling but the flights would undo me. I have a real phobia and Xanax works.

I take Ativan whenever I fly. I'm not sure how different it is from Xanax so it might give you the same side effect. I don't find any side effects at all from the Ativan so it might be another option for you. I'm terrified of flying but it has nothing to do with terrorists - I'm just always convinced that we're going to fall out of the sky.

To: suzeyq

I will ask my doctor about the ativan but I have heard that it just majorly puts you to sleep. So, did you have a hard time waking up?

I, too, have had a fear of flying since way back before the terrorists since I was 13 and went on my first airplane flight and I am now 55.

Cruising, like I said, is one of my favorite things to do and I consider myself a true cruise addict but I may consider doing cruises out of my homeport or at least on the western coast.

I too swear by Zanax...well, alprazolam, generic. There are different strengths. Your doctor will tell you which would be best for your circumstances. I have never used them for flying because I haven't flown since I found them, have used them for driving in a car during ice storm, during very stressful times in my life. Will be going to visit my doctor before my cruise in April, already warned him about that.

I have always been terrified of flying way before terrorism was a big deal. I didn't fly for years. Then a few years ago I really wanted to start cruising and realized the only way I could do it was to fly. I take a very mild dose (only 5mg) of Ativan an hour before a flight. It only takes the edge off the nervousness with no drugged feeling and no sleepiness. It simply keeps me calm enough to be able to take a breath on the plane. Good luck.

I have always been terrified of flying way before terrorism was a big deal. I didn't fly for years. Then a few years ago I really wanted to start cruising and realized the only way I could do it was to fly. I take a very mild dose (only 5mg) of Ativan an hour before a flight. It only takes the edge off the nervousness with no drugged feeling and no sleepiness. It simply keeps me calm enough to be able to take a breath on the plane. Good luck.

I also have a fear of flying but it has absolutely nothing to do with terrorism-it is envolved with my fear of heights.

I do try to "physke" myself out of it. One way I do this is I think of Princess Diana. My guess is that woman probally flew somewhere almost every week but she died in a car accident.

As others have said-not many of us would stop riding in a car and the odds are much more we will die in a car wreck then an airplane crash.

I may try a perscription of your stuff-even though I can usually talk myself out of an anxiety attack-it would be nice to have a little helper.

To slotaddict:

I have used xanax in the past. It makes a person feel so tired and sleepy. I try putting my head on my husband's shoulder then I get a bad neck ache. A couple times I have flown without it and done fine but now we are back to lunatics doing crazy things. I would feel just fine losing the whole trip money cause of the fear but I'm sure my husband wouldn't hear of that cause final payment as already been made.

Getting sleepy from Xanax really depends on the strength you take. It doesn't make me sleepy but then again I take a very low dose. I could have wished it put me to sleep on our flights to Europe but no deal.

We are flying AA on 911 to New York. Scared? No.

Mad I could miss my flight & cruise? Yes

Do you live where you can drive to ports? Maybe a train? Bus?

We usually do the Mex Riv so we don't have to fly. Just figures that when we finally decide to fly, this happens. I'm more worried about the long lines at the airport.

I hope all goes well for you and you are able to enjoy your cruise.

Jill

With security levels at their present levels, it is probably much safer to fly now than it was before the plot was exposed. Security measures tend to relax after a time, and who knows what could slip by? I would much rather fly when things are T-I-G-H-T.

In the 80's I had a morbid fear of flying and ironically I had to fly for business. I almost drove home in a rental car many times, but didn't. Something in my male ego told me it was wuzzy and an improbable fear. So I know where you are coming from. How did I lose the fear? Well I never did completely but I did breathing excercises and really learned to relax.

But if you really wanted my fix. It was to drink a lot in the bar at the airport no good if you are picking up a rental car at the other end.

To slotaddict:

But, I just noticed this morning on our sailing of which the final payment was due 7/27, there is now a lot more cabins available than there were last week. I thought that was kind of strange.

When I first started taking it, i used to go to sleep when I got on the plane. Now it doesn't seem to do that to me.

No matter what you do don;t stop living your life, if you do the terrorists have won. I have come to the realization that no matter where you are or what you do or do not do, tommorrow is not promised to you. Live life to its fullest so you will have no regrets.

I am afraid of flying and snakes so I will not be seeing Snakes on Planes. I was terrified of flying long before there were terrorists. Going on a cruise or other vacation is about all that will get me on a plane. Fortunately all of my family lives here.

Slotaddict,

I think I will try the xanax. Do you have a hangover/or a lot of grogginess when you get to your destination? Also, when do you start taking it? Just before leaving? Thanks

Linda

I take it about 15 minutes before the plane starts boarding. I have never experienced grogginess when I have reached my destination. If you get it from your dr start with the lowest dose. When I first started taking it, I always went to sleep on the plane, but that does not happen any longer.

This thread has really inspired me, I thought that I was in the minority, however I see that there are many people like myself. I always wondered why everyone on the plane looked so calm and collected, when I was such a wreck. Since I have flown so many times by taking xanax, I ofter wonder if I can get on a plane without it. Truth is I'm to afraid to try.:eek:

I understand your anxiety. Flying is one of my least favorite activities. My family lost several dear friends on 9-11 in both New York and Washington and did not know that my sister was safe until late that evening( she was at the Pentagon that day). I had a business trip to London that flew on the first day that they allowed flights to return after 9-11. On a 777, there were probably 20 passengers on the entire plane. I could have cancelled the trip, but I did not want to always be afraid. I am extremely cautious and try not to take unnecessary risks, but there will always be risks in your life. If it would make you truly miserable to travel, then you should not do it. I have found though that if I confront my anxiety level and take all reasonable precautions, the risk tolerance level is manageable. I have been back overseas at least 15 times since 9-11, and the rewards both professionally and personally have greatly outweighed my aversion to flying. We will cruise overseas next summer, and the chance to be with 20 of my family and friends will get me on the plane. I hope things work out for you, and you can go on your cruise and any future trips without much discomfort.

k.k.

Slotaddict,

Linda

Not to alarm you but here in Australia a snake was found under a passenger's seat (it was in the hold and had apparently slithered into the aircraft cabin) No harm done except the scare if gave the man who saw it under his seat after landing when he was looking for something he had dropped.:eek:

Archived