Skagway or ketchican- which has best shopping

bnajeff

Ketchikan was probably the best shopping port we had. It was our last port (we were SB) so I was already pretty shopped out, but I thought there were lots of interesting shops there, and I did manage to spend a few $$$ there as well. Have a great trip...wish I were going with you. :cool:

There is no lack of shopping in any of the ports. You will see mostly the same stuff from port to port. I found no better deals from one to the next. I bought a painting and Ulu knife in Ketchikan. In Juneau we bought another piece of art and something else to frame. My son bought a scrimshaw knife there. In Skagway we bought a beautiful photograph of the Northern Lights. We will frame it at home. In Anchorage we purchased a sculpture at the shop in the Capt. Cook Hotel. Best prices in Anchorage for sculpture. We actually shopped around and wound up going back to the shop in the Capt. Cook. There are t-shirt shops and all the touristy stuff in all of the ports. My suggestion is not waste valuable port time shopping. Do your excursions and then shop. There is way to much to see in each of these ports. Happy Sailing!!!

I'd be careful of the jewelry shops at the ports. Jewelry traditionally has a hefty markup anyway, and it looks like they tack on even more at the Alaska ports. For reference, wife splurged and bought a beautiful tanzanite necklace in Ketchikan (Tanzanite International) for about 1600.00, when we got back she checked the internet and found thier online site was selling the same neckalce for a normal, non-sale price of 1100.00. We figure it will appraise at around 700-800.

Archived