Port Lucaya Market Place-Bahamas

I have been a few times. VERY easy to take a taxi on your own. I think it was $20 for the 4 of us each way. There is a cul-de-sac type place there where all the taxis are waiting to return you to the ship.

The shopping is pretty good. There are several little shops and bars there. We walked across the street to the beach. There are two resorts there with a walk-way between them. You can walk through, it is a public area and go to the beach. They have parasailing, waverunners and banana boats.

http://www.portlucaya.com has an arial view of the area. Scroll down to the bottom right and you can zoom in. At the same site, you can click on Port Lucaya Market Place for a list of all they have to offer.

We have done this on our own with children....felt completely safe....there is NO WAY I would pay for the ship's tour.

Enjoy Freeport!

• 1 year later...
I have been a few times. VERY easy to take a taxi on your own. I think it was $20 for the 4 of us each way. There is a cul-de-sac type place there where all the taxis are waiting to return you to the ship.

The shopping is pretty good. There are several little shops and bars there. We walked across the street to the beach. There are two resorts there with a walk-way between them. You can walk through, it is a public area and go to the beach. They have parasailing, waverunners and banana boats.

www.portlucaya.com has an arial view of the area. Scroll down to the bottom right and you can zoom in. At the same site, you can click on Port Lucaya Market Place for a list of all they have to offer.

We have done this on our own with children....felt completely safe....there is NO WAY I would pay for the ship's tour.

Enjoy Freeport!

Thanks so much for posting this. I wonder if this stuff is opened on Sundays...anybody? Thank you very much.

Let me add that the beach there is amazing. Beautiful white sand and gorgeous clean calm water. There is a small outdoor shopping market area across from the beach with many locals selling different things... Lots of wicker hats/purses, etc. sticks in my mind. I haven't beent there in a few years, but the cab was $15pp each way in a van, but there was no hassle. I thought it was a beautiful area, and if it wasn't so expensive to stay there, I'd probably think about spending a week or so there at a resort... But I could go on 2 cruises for what they want to spend a week there...

Have fun and enjoy your cruise.

Hi. I can't wait to go. I wish we were going to be there at night for the music at Count Basie. I did look up a calendar for it, though, and saw that they have gospel music. What the heck...I love all different types of music and so, I'll go for it. Maybe it's steel band gospel! hahahaha...I also just talked to a friend of mine who called me back to make sure she'd told me everything and she told me to make sure to buy a case of Absolut Vodka there -- $8/bottle plus $2 duty. Wobbly Pops, here I come...and yes, for when I get home, not in the cabin.:D

Just a tip... open the case, put a bottle in your bag, reseal the case, and when security sends you over to the table to hand in your alcohol, hand them the case, and bring your bottle with you... or if you don't want to open the case, get a bottle of fun for yourself, hand over the case and you should be home free. I discovered this by accident, but it seems to work...

goodcelt, I visited that marketplace on a Sunday and most of it was open.

Look for this sign near the ship behind all the shore excursion booths. It was $5/person for a cab.

My purse broke right before we got there and I got a nice gucci bag that was exactly what I wanted! They have a mixture of shops and I enjoyed shopping there.

TZ200816090001239.jpg

Suzq, do you remember the name of the store where your got our purse?

Do people snorkel at the beach there? We're definitely going to the beach, too. I also plan on finding the stand that serves the coconut. I haven't had a fresh coconut since I was in Hawaii in 1976, and my DD has always wanted one. Oh, and I've gotta have conch. I've had it lots of times in Fla but never in the Bahamas. I've never been there before.

I'm glad you had positive things to say about it, as did my friend. I only wish we could be there on a different night for all of the music, etc., at Count Basie. Otherwise, between you and my friend and maybe one or two other people, I would have probably just stayed on the ship. No way...;)

Archived