Sobering Thought

Grumm

I don't want to be a killjoy, but with all the "Bringing alcohol onboard" posts, I can't help thinking of the current terrorist alert. It's clear that these "people" are targeting British and American citizens and it seems to me that with airport security currently so tight, a cruise ship could be perceived as being a "soft" option for them. Bearing in mind that the latest threat is alleged to pertain to liquid explosives, shouldn't we content ourselves with the bountiful supply of alcohol already onboard? I know it's expensive, but it's your holiday so you are entitled to splash out a bit.

Alan

Good point Alan, I am just back from The Legend of the seas cruising the Med, from the UK, we bought Alchol in Gibraltar to bring home with us (much cheaper) and expected it to be taken from us as we went through security on the ship but it wasn't, in view of the recent threats, it would be much easier to get liquid aboard a ship, and since the airports are now being so dillegent will ships be a 'soft' target? I do not mean to scare anybody but lets all take care, I agree that alchol on the ships seems out of proportion to land prices, but hey, that is something we know and maybe should budget for before we go.

Nancy

I don't want to be a killjoy, but with all the "Bringing alcohol onboard" posts, I can't help thinking of the current terrorist alert. It's clear that these "people" are targeting British and American citizens and it seems to me that with airport security currently so tight, a cruise ship could be perceived as being a "soft" option for them. Bearing in mind that the latest threat is alleged to pertain to liquid explosives, shouldn't we content ourselves with the bountiful supply of alcohol already onboard? I know it's expensive, but it's your holiday so you are entitled to splash out a bit.

Alan

One more reason to bring up the alcohol factor:rolleyes:

Well, the focus wouldn't have to be on just ALCOHOL, but on all liquids. So no soda, water, contact lense fluid, shampoo, perfume, etc etc......

I guess it would be a pretty stinky ship after a few days:D

From a more practical standpoint, a plane could be brought down with a small amount of explosive. Not so with a cruise ship. And the terrorists want to disrupt commerce and the economy, not just kill people. That's why they target air traffic. I suspect cruise ships aren't on their radar at all. Think about it, if they just want to cause general havoc it would be much easier to just target the local mall.

Guest LetMeGo
From a more practical standpoint, a plane could be brought down with a small amount of explosive. Not so with a cruise ship. And the terrorists want to disrupt commerce and the economy, not just kill people. That's why they target air traffic. I suspect cruise ships aren't on their radar at all. Think about it, if they just want to cause general havoc it would be much easier to just target the local mall.

That is indeed the only real reason... If they wanted to just kill as many people as possible, they would be targeting trains, buses, metros etc in major cities every week. Why bother with elaborate plans to avoid security measures when you could just as well carry a backpack full of dynamite into your local bus?

Terrorists aren't doing that, because they would very quickly lose the rest of that little sympathy their cause has from the regular people.

That is indeed the only real reason... If they wanted to just kill as many people as possible, they would be targeting trains, buses, metros etc in major cities every week. Why bother with elaborate plans to avoid security measures when you could just as well carry a backpack full of dynamite into your local bus?

Terrorists aren't doing that, because they would very quickly lose the rest of that little sympathy their cause has from the regular people.

Carrying explosives onto metros and buses was exactly what happened on the 7th July in London last year. I'm surprised you know any "regular people" who have ANY sympathy with terrorists, nomatter what their "cause" may be.

Archived