One brief "jeans" question....

klh-or

Sorry but am intrigued by this jeans, I understand ,but what are dockers?

Are they what we in Europe know as chinos? If that is the case then to me neither should be worn as smart/attire in the dining room and in many places would not be accepted in Europe

They are chinos and I agree with you that they should not be worn in the dining room. However Americans feel comfortable in less dressy attire. Europeans generally dress better. On our last cruise on the Jewel from New York some passengers were dressed so casually they looked like slobs. Why don't people like to dress up a little on a cruise? Everything looks better when the people are well dressed. Sorry, but that is my opinion.

My DH ALWAYS wears jeans on formal night in the dining room. They are black wranglers and he wears them with his cowboy boots and western cut tux.

It's his way of being a rebel! And he wears his silver conch/horse hair bolo tie! He gets such a kick out of it. We usually travel with a large group and now alot of the other men have adopted the same style and they all look very handsome. :D

I agree with you NJBear except that she already believed her family was dressed appropriately, was asked to changed and complied. That would frustrating don't you think?

actually the poster didn't think so, she just overlooked it as she knew shorts were not allowed..

....her words "but these shorts went unnoticed because of their quality/style. (my fault entirely)

It's a bigger shame, like NJ bear said, that some people have to concern themselves with what others are wearing. :rolleyes:
The biggest shame is that people can't just follow the guidelines set up by the cruise line and avoid all the back and forth about "who cares what I wear" and "my jeans are more expensive than most other people's whole outfits so I should be able to wear them." Adhering to the guidelines set forth would nullify any future discussion. ;)

It's a bigger shame, like NJ bear said, that some people have to concern themselves with what others are wearing. :rolleyes:

You completely missed the two points of my post. It is not about concerning oneself about what others are wearing, it is about fairness.

1.) The OP's daughter was forced to change but yet someone else wasn't. That is simply not fair. The rules should be enforced equally or not at all. Had the daughter not been asked to change, then who cares what the others were wearing.

2.) In my situation, it put me in a very awkward situation because the rules were not enforced. I had gone over the dress code at length with my friends and the two teenage girls were not happy about not being able to wear jeans or shorts. Then I have to face them becuase they see someone else not being held to the same rules.

In both cases, it is not about what others are wearing. We are not questioning what the others are wearing, but rather what we are/were not allowed to wear.

The biggest shame is that people can't just follow the guidelines set up by the cruise line and avoid all the back and forth about "who cares what I wear" and "my jeans are more expensive than most other people's whole outfits so I should be able to wear them." Adhering to the guidelines set forth would nullify any future discussion. ;)

A perfect answer - after 1000s of post it represents the real issue and a simple solution.:)

http://image03.webshots.com/3/9/94/71/2691994710054445721KhKpxo_ph.jpg

Here's a picture of the sign that was in Windows on the Spirit. It clearly states no torn jeans. Nothing else.

The link does not work but I remember when that was the case. When was the picture taken ? The Spirit had the most relaxed enforcement of da rules for a while. I am not certain that is still the case.

Anyone onboard this summer care to comment.

I can tell you every Freestyle daily have from the Dawn, Sun, Jewel all simply state no jeans.

• 2 weeks later...

2691994710054445721KhKpxo_ph.jpg

Well..that just answered it for me. I'm going on the Spirit this weekend with my BF, who's VERY casually dressed, ALL the time...and while I put the time money and energy into investing in a few skirts and dresses for evening wear, he just doesn't feel the same about it, so I've been a lil aprihensive up until I saw this picture.

Jeans, apparently, are OK.

Torn jeans, are not.

Of course, the night we plan on dining in Le Bistro, and for the Formal night, I'll convince him to do otherwise, but asides from that, I don't think we'll be at all out of place wearing well fitting nice jeans...

The link does not work but I remember when that was the case. When was the picture taken ? The Spirit had the most relaxed enforcement of da rules for a while. I am not certain that is still the case.

Anyone onboard this summer care to comment.

I can tell you every Freestyle daily have from the Dawn, Sun, Jewel all simply state no jeans.

I was on the SPIRIT on the 8 day 6/3/06 cruise and on day 2 (maybe 3) the No TORN JEANS sign appeared right as you entered to have your card scanned in WINDOWS, it wasn't there the first 2 days if I recall correctly..the Freestyle Daily still said NO JEANS AFTER 5:30 I think ).

I asked the maitre'd in WINDOWS why and she said simply "Some people didn't bring the right clothes..then shrugged and smiled"

2691994710054445721KhKpxo_ph.jpg

Well..that just answered it for me. I'm going on the Spirit this weekend with my BF, who's VERY casually dressed, ALL the time...and while I put the time money and energy into investing in a few skirts and dresses for evening wear, he just doesn't feel the same about it, so I've been a lil aprihensive up until I saw this picture.

Jeans, apparently, are OK.

Torn jeans, are not.

Of course, the night we plan on dining in Le Bistro, and for the Formal night, I'll convince him to do otherwise, but asides from that, I don't think we'll be at all out of place wearing well fitting nice jeans...

I'd still be prepared to eat at the buffet or return to the cabin to change if you want to eat in a main restaurant. They may insist upon it. Just because that sign was on *A* cruise, it doesn't mean it will appear again on another

It also depends on the matre d (I know I spelled that wrong). Once on the Majesty we were seated by the asst. MD, and the Head MD came over and told me there were no shorts allowed in the dining room (this was in La Trattoria) -- I was wearing a SKORT -- and it wasn't even one that looks like shorts from the back...:rolleyes:

I saw the date stamp was 7/2005 on that foto as well ( as well as the next few in her album too--the date stamp was most likely set wrong) but the same sign appeared at the WINDOWS desk on day 2 on my 6/3/2006 cruise *shrug*, all I know is the Freestyle says don't wear jeans after 5:30 in the restaurants..I don't wear jeans..it's very easy that way..then I can be surprised when I see a different Dress code of the day..or cruise...or ship posted at the restaurant desks:D ...By then I'm hungry..I'm getting ready to eat and could care less what they let anyone else wear:D

I think it's hilarious that "jeans and alcohol" get the most attention on these boards. A stupid piece of cloth called "denim" causes more discussion ( usually the longest threads ), than almost anything else. I don't get it....am I missing something? :confused: Probably not!

While I do not wear jeans to dinner myself, I must say that I never take notice to what others are wearing and don't understand why anyone else does. All I care about is where they are seating me, how good is the service, and will I enjoy the food. Then I have a great time with my hubby chating and eating....not scaning the room for "jean people". :rolleyes:

I think the biggest problem is the use of casual attire and the way different people view the definition. Donald Trump would view it as Hugo instead of Armani. I would view it as slacks and dress a shirt or Polo others simply a new pare of Jeans. The general view however is more like Dockers and a nice shirt. I myself agree with this rule, I am always surprised how far people will go without rules. Take the lunch buffet for example; people will actually go through the line with no shirt or shoes dripping from the pool and chest and pit hair hanging out. I mean really you can’t even go into Burger King like that. So if they do not have rules you may find your self dining next to a person that thinks swim ware is casual attire. I do think however they should enforce the rule with all guests and people whose tip is not on the line enforcing the rule. They are not asking you to sever a body part to enter they are just asking people do dress according to the ambiance of the environment. And by the way there is never just a brief question when it concerns this issue J

I think the biggest problem is the use of casual attire and the way different people view the definition. ................And by the way there is never just a brief question when it concerns this issue J

Oh NO!! Now we have to wear briefs??? no more boxers??? !!!!!!! :D :D :D (NJbear runs away very fast):rolleyes: :rolleyes:

How about another way to put it - I was at a state park and walked onto the fishing pier late at night and there was a family - adults and kids breaking all the rules and using a cast net and keeping fish they shouldn't. I noticed two boys that were not and asked if they were with the family. They said no and didn't like what they were doing and can't believe they were getting away with it. What I found so amazing was that they didnt' join in with the family as adults were there but they didn't and they said no matter it was wrong. The family by the way were caught by the ranger and all fish thrown back but I was so proud of the boys to keep there beliefs and do what was right even though others were not. I'd say you can tell your girls what my mom always told me over and over - if everyone jumps off the bridge are you going to? Just because others do it doesn't make it right....

With that said I will say hubby wears jeans to dinner - not blue but white or black and has for 19 cruises and that is how it is. Some things are NOT worth argueing about. :rolleyes: Debbie

Archived