Europe/Scandinavia - cruise ship or river cruise?

sunny fla

We'll probably travel to Europe and/or Scandinavia one time only - and are considering either a large cruise ship (Princess) with several ports of call or a riverboat cruise. We plan to take 12-14 days for this vacation. Any advice?

We have done a Grand Circle cruise from Amsterdam to Vienna. We thought it was wonderful. The river boats carry far fewer passangers; the food is very good; most excursions are included; meals are open seating; and the Captains dinner is not really that formal.

You are divided into groups and take all your tours with that group. You really get to know those people. They do have some evening activities aboard the boat. I'm sure you would find this cruise extremely satisfactory.

Just so you know, my husband and I have been on about forty ocean cruises and also love them. Just felt you should contact one of the river companys and see what they offer you. Grand Circle is a great one.

Mocorobabe

We have also done man, many oceanliner cruises and a few river ones. We've used Grand Circle and Vantage and would not hesitate to recommend either for a river cruise. A river cruise is more like a "tour" in Europe, but you're not on and off of a bus and in and out of hotels. The boat (not really a ship) is your hotel. I think you see WAY more than doing an Ocean liner cruise. You get to experience evening/nights in some cities (sometimes you are docked overnight, sometimes your sailing at night, which you don't on an Ocean liner cruise. You might be in one city a couple of days and be able to see most of what's there to see rather than really having to choose "this" or "that" on an Ocean Liner cruise. As it is a MUCH smaller group of people, once you dock, everyone is on their way to see "whatever" in a couple of minutes, not the half hour or more frenzy of finding the right bus for the right tour, or a cab on your own. All tours, entrances guides etc, etc are included, so there is VERY little additional cost added to the price of the trip. So far, on all complimentary wines were served with all diners, some lunches and when all is said and done, I think we saw a LOT more and spent a little less than had we done an "Ocean liner" cruise. However, if your first priority is the Ocean liner experince and ambiance, an ocean liner cruise would be more appealing.

We have also done man, many oceanliner cruises and a few river ones. We've used Grand Circle and Vantage and would not hesitate to recommend either for a river cruise. A river cruise is more like a "tour" in Europe, but you're not on and off of a bus and in and out of hotels. The boat (not really a ship) is your hotel. I think you see WAY more than doing an Ocean liner cruise. You get to experience evening/nights in some cities (sometimes you are docked overnight, sometimes your sailing at night, which you don't on an Ocean liner cruise. You might be in one city a couple of days and be able to see most of what's there to see rather than really having to choose "this" or "that" on an Ocean Liner cruise. As it is a MUCH smaller group of people, once you dock, everyone is on their way to see "whatever" in a couple of minutes, not the half hour or more frenzy of finding the right bus for the right tour, or a cab on your own. All tours, entrances guides etc, etc are included, so there is VERY little additional cost added to the price of the trip. So far, on all complimentary wines were served with all diners, some lunches and when all is said and done, I think we saw a LOT more and spent a little less than had we done an "Ocean liner" cruise. However, if your first priority is the Ocean liner experince and ambiance, an ocean liner cruise would be more appealing.

Archived