Dear friends,

I have been to Tunis several times, both on cruises and on land.

For a one-day cruise stop, most people either do one of two things. The first is a visit to the Carthage ruins -- which is basically an all-day trip.

The second is a city-tour. This includes a tour of the city, a visit to the Bardo museum (the world's most famous mosaic museum), shopping and wandering in the central area (this is actually quite fun -- it's not as intense as the Grand Bazaar of Istanbul, but has a similar flavor), and back to the ship.

Either tour is quite fun and makes for a fulfilling day.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

When we got off the ship in Tunis, we negotiated with a cab driver to take us to the Medina (where we did a self-guided walking tour and a little shopping), after which we stopped at a sidewalk cafe to have a cold drink and do some people watching, to the Bardo Museum (fabulous) and on a driving tour of the city.

The cost for four people for about six hours was $50 or $60. The cab driver suggested that we not pay him until we got back to the ship, so we felt comfortable that he would be waiting for us at every stop. He accepted US dollars, but we needed Tunisian currency for admissions to mosques and musums, so stopped at an ATM.

• 3 months later...

My girlfriend and I walked through the gate to the taxi lineup outside and hired an English speaking taxi driver as a guide for the day. He turned off the meter after we settled on a price for the full day...around 80 Euro I think, to be paid at the end. First we went to the main site in Carthage (where he had to give us money for tickets). We spent an hour wandering around taking photos, then headed to the Bardoux Museum. He waited outside in both places.

Then the highlight.....shopping in the souks of the Medina. He parked very close and was our bodyguard & guide......and a guide was a blessing as it is a real maze! We gave him an idea of what we wanted to buy, but I would have loved to have more time to just wander around. In each store when he saw we had reached our lowest offer, he would kiss the vendor on the lips and say "Take the deal!". We did have time for a stop in a cafe inside the medina to drink mint tea and watch the men smoking hookahs. I LOVED this stop and glad I didn't listen to the people too afraid to get off the ship!

Archived