Just booked POH for 10/02/06...thanks!!

kapoho2

We live on the Hilo side of the Big Island and try to escape for an island cruise each year. We have cruised the Star and for the past 2 years we cruised the Wind which includes Fanning Island. We thought for sure we would do the Wind again this year. But, all of these newer ships that are now circling the islands got our curiosity going.

After reading and reading on this board, we decided on the POH. We figure that next year we can return to our beloved Fanning Island on the Sun...which will be a new ship to us! And then...we still will have to explore the POA and POAm. Lots to look forward to :D

We booked an inside GTY and will see where we end up. Also got the $50 OBC...from booking during the Wed. sale.....THANKS for the scoop!!

The recent reviews do not bother us. We are easy going and refuse to rush to make reservations for dinner the minute we get onboard. I believe that negates the true concept of freestyle. We have never had a bad meal in a cruise ship dining room. We do not mind waiting for a table...we do that in any decent restaurant. We will just go have a drink (or two:D )and wait our turn and not sweat the small stuff. This is our vacation. And, living here in Hawaii has taught us to slow down....everything will happen eventually. Island time is something we have grown to love and enjoy!

Our "sea" days will be Hilo and Kona and we will find some new and exciting things to do on Maui and Kauai. Can't wait!

Well, I am off to start a roll call for our sailing. So far, there is nothing on that board for the POH 10/02/06. So, if you are lurking out there....come on over and let's get this party going.

Again....Mahalo..to all the CC'ers who helped with this decision.

Wow congrats and enjoy!! Can't help but share your enthusiasm.

I love the itinerary on POH with overnights on Maui and Kauai, and Napali coast viewing. I think your other Hawaii cruises haven't done Napali coast so that will be a treat. The pool setup on POH is pretty great for the two days you skip getting off the ship. Wish I was on it right now.

Congratulations on making the plunge. We loved our visit to Hilo and Kona. We enjoyed the excursions in both ports.

I would urge you to reconsider making reservations. If you do not make any, you will be completely closed out from the specialty restaurants. The better meals are in these restaurants. You can do this for a couple of nights and then just take what comes on the other nights.

Otherwise, enjoy the cruise!

I just popped over to the roll call board and found a very quiet thread for the POH 10/02...hope it comes to life soon. We had an absolute blast with the CC'ers we met on our Star cruise to Mexico.

The Napali coast scenic cruising is a BIG reason why we chose this cruise. Also, the cruise by the volcano....the 11-day Wind does not do this.

We will be stretching our vacation a bit by doing a night prior in Honolulu. MikeKaye....any ideas on what hotels over there offer a decent kamaaina rate? We want to be somewhere near the Royal Hawaiian....a mai-tai at the Mai-Tai Bar there is a must-do everytime we are in town.

As far as the specialty restaurants go....we have not eaten in any of them on our last three NCL cruises....the food in the main dining rooms is fine with us. As long as someone else is doing the slicing, dicing, cooking, serving and clean-up....it is a great meal!!! On this one....maybe we will try to plan ahead and see what happens!

I wish I had good info on cheap hotels but I don't (hangs head in shame). I have used priceline elsewhere in the USA and had good results, would be tempted to try them if I needed it.

Only three hotels I have ever stayed at on Oahu

Hale Koa (last year when house was tented for termites)

Turtle Bay Hilton (several times looong time ago when it was called Kuilima)

Ilikai (very long stay even longer ago)

How about reserving the Italian restaurant, there is no charge for it. I don't know how you feel about sushi but I had a bunch of fun at the sushi bar there, it is $10 pp. What you can do is make reservations for a restaurant or two, and then if you change your mind cancel them within 24 hours. Going the other way is probably impossible -- not making reservations and then realizing later you really want to try one after all. Hang loose!

Oh yeah if you go to royal hawaiian try the glass elevator at sheraton next door for a free breathtaking view, even nicer at nighttime with the city lights.

Kapoho2... We were scheduled to travel with you on the Wind last September... unfortunately, we were forced to cancel two days before we left, due to a family emergency. We were given a voucher for 75% of the cruise cost only and had to use it before the anniversary of our cancellation this year. We sailed on the POH 7/31... I kept all of the notes I had made in preparation of our original cruise, including your recommendations for the Big Island. We rented a car to visit the VNP, then took your advice and drove to the Kapoho area to ride on the red road (Rt 137). It was a beautiful drive that reminded us of our trip down the Big Sur in California, except for the beautiful lava fields which emptied into the ocean. Drove all the way to the end at Verna's Snack Shack and walked into the lava fields toward the ocean. You could see the steam rising from the ongoing lava flow in the distance. On the way back we drove through the lava tree forest and visited the small Lava Tree Park. The lava trees are also very unique forming an almost solid canopy. Also stopped at the Macadamia nut farm on the way back to the ship. It was our first day in port and thanks to your suggestions, It was very enjoyable as well as educational. Thanks Again... enjoy your cruise!

Aloha kydeg,

So glad you were finally able to enjoy a cruise around Hawaii. And, I'm glad you enjoyed driving around our neck of the woods! This is an area that many folks do not get to see. The drive down the red road for lunch at Verna's is one of our favorite Sunday drives. The beauty of that road still mesmerizes us. And the drive past Lava Tree Park is something we have to do everyday. We tend to take it for granted...but often we have to stop and just take it all in.

Maybe someday we will meet on another cruise....until then...happy cruisin'...

Archived