Wow Canada and Maine!

I'm so glad to be back! I am so excited to be going to Maine and Canada! Here is the dilemma. I am from the deep south. Every cruise I have ever been on is tropical. I barely had to back anything. Shorts, swim suits, one nice dress. Easy. The one and only time I was in the north, I went to an October wedding in Ohio. I did bring fall clothes, jeans, a couple of sweaters, I froze to death. They had not received snow yet, but it was in the 30's. Everyone said "Oh, this is unusual for October!" Right! We sail 10/14-10/21 out of Boston. I don't expect to be sun bathing, but I have Alaska blizzards in my head! Please advise. Woo hoo! Halifax or bust!

I'm so glad to be back! I am so excited to be going to Maine and Canada! Here is the dilemma. I am from the deep south. Every cruise I have ever been on is tropical. I barely had to back anything. Shorts, swim suits, one nice dress. Easy. The one and only time I was in the north, I went to an October wedding in Ohio. I did bring fall clothes, jeans, a couple of sweaters, I froze to death. They had not received snow yet, but it was in the 30's. Everyone said "Oh, this is unusual for October!" Right! We sail 10/14-10/21 out of Boston. I don't expect to be sun bathing, but I have Alaska blizzards in my head! Please advise. Woo hoo! Halifax or bust!

No Alaska blizzards, I live in Montreal, fall clothing, but not winter here. Maybe something warmer than just a wool sweater, or layers, a wool sweater with a raincoat with a wool lining or a leather jacket should be enough. Scarf, gloves. I don't wear a hat at that time of year. (Montreal). Shoes with socks and you should be fine for Montreal and probably Halifax too. Can't speak about the boat of course and Maine is probably not going to have blizzards yet either.

No blizzards in October. As a matter of fact October in Halifax can be very nice - it's one of my favourite months of the year. The weather is usually cool, but not cold, and can actually be warm. Just sweaters or a light jacket is needed. It's a beautiful time of the year to be in this city. The fall colours are wonderful.

• 2 weeks later...

Famtrav, keep in mind that you will probably want warmer clothes than what we northern folks are wearing! I'm from Halifax and last time I went to Disney World in December, WE went swimming in the hotel pool and the LIFEGUARD was bundled up in sweatpants, wool hat, and mittens! She was obviously thinking "Crazy northerners! It's way too cold to swim today!"

You need layers. A warm fleece jacket or sweatshirt, a raincoat/windbreaker to go over it or on its own, definitely take light gloves and some kind of hat to cover your ears in case the wind is blowing. Blizzards are very unlikely :p but you'll be much happier if you are dressed warm enough for your comfort. And yes, Indian summer is also possible but summer here isn't so hot that you would need shorts and sundresses.... pack a T-shirt to wear with long pants just in case you hit warm weather.

Hot rum toddies are also a great way to warm you up from the inside out....

we leave in 2 weeks on the Carnival Victory.

Will we need gloves and hats then?

I had planned on packing 2 short outfits, is this wishful thinking?

Honestly I think it's wishful thinking, at least for Montreal. Unless it's an indian summer afternoon, but the evenings still get chilly. I don't know your comfort zone temp wise, but think possibly mid 60's on average. But then again, everyone dresses differently. I would not wear shorts in Montreal in mid - end of September.

Archived