Crown Princess Review August 7-16, 2006

Sandytoes

EMBARKATION:

Extremely easy. We decided to park without dropping off the luggage since we noticed dozens of luggage carts available in lot. From the parking lot, on the left hand side, walking towards the terminal we asked one of the staff where we should drop off the luggage. He said he would take care of it. We were on the ship in less than 5 minutes since we pre-registered online and there were no lines. We went directly up to the Horizon Court for lunch. Right after we decided to go to our cabin. Our luggage was at our door. We were very surprised.

FOOD:

We always do the Personal Choice for convenience. On the first night we got lucky and had a fantastic waiter and his co-server in the DaVinci’s dining room. We decided to use them for the rest of our trip. We told the head Maitre'd that we wanted Frances every night at 6pm. Never had a problem. Our table 417 was always available. Twice we brought bottles of champagne to our table. Frances never charged us the Corkage Fee. On the last day we gave him and his helper an extra tip and thanked them for their service. They gave me a kiss on the cheek... I as so surprised and touched and said they want to see us again....

The menu is set to please just about everyone. From seafood, poultry, beef, vegetarian. Plus a variety of standbys. The French onion soup, lobster, prime ribs, king crab legs, avocado seafood appetizer, yogurt peach soup, and of course the Princess Love Boat dream and Trio Mousse desserts were exceptional. Sadly to say this is the first cruise I gained weight....

Horizon Court’s breakfast was much to be desired. This is buffet food and that’s to be expected. Fruits were always fresh and ripe. French toast and pancakes were a little crusty. Toast machine did not toast at all. We decided to have breakfast in the main dining room one day only to find out that it closes at 9:30 in the morning. So, on another day we were up early enough to go. We found out that it’s exactly the same food served in the Horizon Court. Nothing different. That was disappointing. On sail away night, Horizon Court has a Sailaway Buffet. Lobster Claws, King Crab, Shrimp Cocktail, smoked Salmon. Because we love seafood we decided to eat there. Yum! Was it good. We just finished and heard plates fall. DH & I watched as a food server picked up the plates and placed them back on the clean plates....I couldn't believe my eyes.... I got his name and wrote what I saw on a comment card. Never went back for dinner there.:eek:

Room service was extremely fast. Ordered coffee, sandwich and those fabulous cookies and within 10 minutes it was at my cabin.

Pizza is fantastic... NY is known for it's pizza and this comes very close....

ENTERTAINMENT:

The entertainment is exceptional. Shows are top notch. First night was the Welcome aboard Showtime starring the Crown Princess Dancers, singers, and band. Also performing that night was Sarge the comedian. Very funny. You have to go at least a half hour early, each night, to get a good seat. Well with it.

All throughout the ship there is entertainment to meet everyone’s needs. In Explorer’s Lounge – Ballroom Blitz, Ventriloquist Kenny Byrd, Body Balancing & Acrobatics, Comedy Juggling Randy Cabral, and comedy show. In the Club Fusion had a wide variety of shows from Karaoke, dance party, 50’s though the 80’s Music Trivia, Name that “Show” tune, and Marriage Game show and of course Bingo. The Farewell Show in the Princess Threater was the worst show we seen on board....

Service:

Our cabin steward was very accommodating. I only had to ask once for an extra towel for my hair and every morning there would be extra towels. I also asked for one of the chairs to be removed since it was taking up space and we didn’t use it. It was gone within minutes. It made a world of difference moving about the cabin.

We were always greeted with a smile by the wait and bar staff. I have to say crew members really work hard to please their passengers.

Cabin:

The fluffy duvets covers were much to be desired. Did not cover feet and had to keep repositioning it, waking up several times over the night. The A/C was comfortable. Safe was impossible. While in the open stage it would continue to beep. One time it would not open at all and had to call for service. Needed to call three times to get someone up to service. Princess is aware of the problem and will be replacing them in the near future and will not be using this safe manufacturer on future ships. Sink water temperature found to be warm. Water never got cold.

Turning off TV with remote was a little difficult because if you press the power button off it would turn on again. Had to press several times to turn off. The cabinet in which the Refrigerator is located is extremely warm. Had to keep the cabinet door open to get the refrigerator cold. Plenty of space for everything with room to spare. The Balcony door kept making noises. In the middle of the night I kept waking up my DH, thinking it was the alarm. He was sound asleep than I realized it was the door.:rolleyes: A/C in room wasn't cold. It was set on high and was just comfortable. I think that they are conserving engergy by raising the a/c thermostat.

Ports: This will be short since I posted a review already on the ports.

Grand Turk – took a $6 cab ride to Governor’s Beach. Chair rental $5. Shade under trees. Nice beach with a great view. You’re not looking at a Cruise ship while on the beach. Not great for snorkeling.

San Juan –$19.50 cab ride to Ritz Carlton in Isla Verde. The beach smelled like bad eggs, farts. Water cloudy. Not pleased with it at all. We were not allowed to rent chairs since we weren’t guests. We went by the pool area and lounged there. Beautiful pool – hotel.

St Thomas – $9 cab ride to Coki Beach. Small beach. Chair rental $5. Excellent snorkeling area. The best we have seen.

Bermuda - $8 round trip bus fare to Horseshoe Bay. Beautiful beach. Not much on snorkeling. $8.50 to rent beach chairs.

Overall:

The A/C throughout the ship was very comfortable. Did not need a sweater or cover-up, not like other ships we were on in which we were always freezing. The ship is beautiful and easy to get around, except for the elevators. It was quicker to use the stairs... There were a lot of chair hogs around the pool areas. More towels on loungers than bodies. No shade at all. I had skin cancer 3 times and get migraines from too much sun. So shade is very important to me. I decided to bring my rain umbrella up to the deck. I am so glad I did that. It helped a whole lot. My DH was first embarrassed to be seen with me holding a rain umbrella. :o Then he wanted to share it...Bar Staff take a picture of us....

The cruise was fantastic; we loved it and would really recommend this cruise.

And for all the Meet & Greet people I have meet. It was the first time I ever did that. I'm very shy...What a great experience it was to meet each and everyone of you. I feel I made new friends and would love to plan another cruise along with you.....:)

And for all the Meet & Greet people I have meet. It was the first time I ever did that. I'm very shy...What a great experience it was to meet each and everyone of you. I feel I made new friends and would love to plan another cruise along with you.....:)

It was nice getting to meet the folks we had been posting with...thanks Sari for arranging it! I am working on my review, but probably won't post till the weekend. 9 days of being gone from work to catch up on! Mom and I had a great cruise...details will follow.

You are on! We had a great group. Nice to think about the next one....

Overall:

The A/C throughout the ship was very comfortable. Did not need a sweater or cover-up, not like other ships we were on in which we were always freezing. :)

Glad to hear this- usually you almost need a blanket in some of the lounges on the ships.:rolleyes: I always have to take several sweaters and wraps which is so silly when you are in the caribbean!.

Thanks for the review. Still deciding between a couple lines and ITNs.

REVDONAUCTIONEER - Disembarkment was a nightmare. We were told to be in the waiting area no later than 8am. We were not called until 11:45. We sat in the Wheelhouse Bar for hours....People were laying on the floors all over the ship. No food or drinks were served....

If you tell them you have a early flight they will arrange for you to get off earlier.....

love2vacation- For once I was comfortable with the A/C... I know what you mean...There where times were I wished I packed my gloves and hat....Burrr!

Archived