Scooter in nonaccessible cabin on QM2?

judyzoo

DH can’t walk any distance, so he always rents a scooter when we cruise. We used to park the scooter in the hallway but when the ships began cracking down on that we began booking accessible cabins, so that the scooter would fit through the doorway. Now we’ve booked a nonaccessible cabin on the QM2 and rented a Pride Revo scooter, which is 22 inches wide. Cunard says the cabin door width is 25 inches, so we’re hoping that the scooter will fit through. Any opinions out there on whether this will work?

I don't understand why you booked a non accessible cabin and rented the scooter and then asked the question. are there no accessible cabins avialable? I would say it could be risky because even though they tell you how wide the door portal is, not all doors open to the point where they are flush with the interior wall; the door pay protrude the width of the door and the hinge. can cunard provide you a picture with the door open so you can make a reasoned judgment?:)

• 4 weeks later...

Because there were no accessible cabins available in anywhere near a reasonably-priced category. We decided to try something different -- a scooter that fits into the cabin. And there isn't any other reason for us to have an accessible cabin except the doorway size, when others need them much more than we do. The scooter can be disassembled a bit if necessary. I was just wondering whether anyone else had tried this, so I might have a better idea of what to expect. Will it really fit, or will we have to take it apart? Either way, we decided to chance it. We wanted to take advantage of what we believe is a very good price for the cruise.

I have to collapse my heavy duty walker in order to fit thru the door of a regular QM2 cabin. Measuring wheel to wheel it is 26 inches.

cusyl,

Do you think if it was 4 inches narrower it would fit without collapsing? Just your best guess.

cusyl,

Do you think if it was 4 inches narrower it would fit without collapsing? Just your best guess.

Maybe, just remember that even tho the doorway is 22 inches, that would be with the door off the hinges?? Not sure.

Maybe, just remember that even tho the doorway is 22 inches, that would be with the door off the hinges?? Not sure.

Yes, cusyl, I do suspect that is how they measure it. Not a realistic measurement. Thanks for your opinion. We'll find out in about two months what the answer is, for sure.

Judy,

I have not been on the QE2 but have managed with a small scooter in a standard room on a Princess ship. Had to rearrange furniture a bit and step over charging cord, but had room to maneuver around it. I am trying this again on a Celebrity ship because of no HC cabins being available. I also have to bring along my own solution for climbing up into the bathroom and ask for a shower stool. That is a major problem for me.

My guess is that a 22" scooter will fit (carefully) through a 25" door, but with very little wiggle room to spare. Hope it works out for you. My travel scooter is 17" wide.

Ruth

Thanks, Juliab. If this was attached to a crutch instead of a cane I could probably use it. I have no lifting power in my legs and must push up with my hands and arms. Does the step get in your way when using as a cane for walking?

I made myself a 3.5" high wood step that works okay for a single step. It also rides under my scooter seat and can be used as a small junk trunk. It can also be used as a lap tray to hold small objects or a plate of food.

My brother-in-law puts out 3.5" high x 9" deep sections of wood at one side of their front steps whenever I come to visit to make the climb easier for me. When I leave he puts them away until the next time I visit.

My guess is that a 22" scooter will fit (carefully) through a 25" door, but with very little wiggle room to spare. Hope it works out for you. My travel scooter is 17" wide.

Ruth

Ruth, that's what I'm hoping. I know that, at best, it's going to be tight. Maybe we should take something along so we can shave a fraction of an inch off the doorjam. LOL.

Judyzoo,

Let us know how you make out with scooter in non-handicap room on QE2. We all would like to know for future reference.

Ruth

She is going on the Queen Mary 2, not the QE2.:cool:

Judy, don't forget to sign the Cruise Critic Log which is in the library on the QM2. It is kept under the librarian's desk.

My wife has a Pride Revo scooter, which we are going to take on our next trip to Florida in November. Assuming that works ok, we're taking it with us on RCI's Freedom of the Seas next May. We've booked a junior suite, to have room for the scooter, but the conversation about the door width is interesting. I'm going to contact the disability department at RCI to discuss it with them.

For the lady renting the Revo, it will break down into five pieces; seat, batteries(2), and two halves of the base that can be separated. While it would be incovenient to have to do that, it is doable if it doesn't fit somewhere. Make sure the rental delivery person shows you how to break it down. You can also go to the Pride web site, and download the documentation for the Revo. Here's the link:

http://www.pridemobility.com/pdf/Owners_Manuals/US_Scooter/US_Revo_3_4_om.pdf

Thanks, Mike and Mary.

We made sure that the rental place sent us a full manual, so we do have the disassembling instructions. It would probably be best to have a live person show us how to do it, but since they'll be delivering the scooter to the cruise line at some undetermined time before we arrive, that's probably not possible, unless we're lucky enough to be there when they're there. But it's good to hear from you that disassembling is indeed doable; we're just hoping that it won't be necessary.

• 3 weeks later...

Judy, like you my DH and I will be traveling in 3 weeks on the Carnival Miracle. He has to use a scooter and we too have booked a regular cabin instead of a HC. It is not fair for us to book a HC room for only his scooter. It isn't fair.

We went thru the same problem regarding a scooter. We will be renting a scooter that splits in two for me to lift and carry into the room if need be. My DH can't bend down, nor can he lift heavy objects, so I must pretty much do everything. Our scooter measures 19 inches wide so I was told that the door way measured 22 inches. Hopefully it will fit thru.

Hope all goes well for your cruise. We are new to this so everything is a learning process for us. Thanks for your post.

Scrufsmom,

I also have to do most of the lifting etc. myself, so I understand. I would think that your DH's 19" scooter ought to fit; that 22" inch doorway sounds wrong, I'd think that in actuality it may be wider. We can hope, right? Good luck with your cruise; I hope everything goes smoothly for both of you!

Archived