FLL Boat Show in Oct.--can't get a cheap room

Shelli

I've been having a heck of a time trying to find a decently priced hotel room for the night before our cruise at the end of October. Today I discovered that the reason is that there's an international boat show that weekend! We usually stay at Amerisuites on 17th St., but that's booked solid, and any tries I've made (up to $70) on Priceline have been rejected. I ended up getting a AAA rate at the Westin for $139 (rack rate is $179)-- seems that's the best I could find, but it kills me to spend that much! There's no penalty to cancel, though, if I find something better.

Interestingly, some of the hotels with available space are really trying to gouge because of the high demand for rooms. For example, I checked the Renaissance, and they want $459 a night! Can you imagine?!?

Anybody got any advice for me?

That sounds good to me .

If you read some of the other posts it will give you an idea of other chain hotels to try (LaQuinta, etc) and you could check the major chain hotels websites.

There are cheaper hotels but old and in bad areas but no one would recommend them so you won't find any threads except 'stay away'.

Ft. Lauderdale is a major hotel market and the supply and demand pricing is in force - just like your 'big apple' neighbor.

Keep your res. until & unless better is or not to be found.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise, MaryAnn

I've been having a heck of a time trying to find a decently priced hotel room for the night before our cruise at the end of October. Today I discovered that the reason is that there's an international boat show that weekend! We usually stay at Amerisuites on 17th St., but that's booked solid, and any tries I've made (up to $70) on Priceline have been rejected. I ended up getting a AAA rate at the Westin for $139 (rack rate is $179)-- seems that's the best I could find, but it kills me to spend that much! There's no penalty to cancel, though, if I find something better.

Interestingly, some of the hotels with available space are really trying to gouge because of the high demand for rooms. For example, I checked the Renaissance, and they want $459 a night! Can you imagine?!?

I booked the Comfort Suites Airport and Cruise for Friday Oct 20th, pre-cruise for $64 on hotelkingdom.com. A week later with the Boat Show, they increased the same room to $288. I originally booked the Ramada Inn Airport, post cruise, for Sat. Oct 28th when the Boat Show is on, for $117, but due to all the negative reports about this hotel on CC, I cancelled, decided to rent a car and booked the Hampton Inn, Plantation for $149

Try that website where you don't know what hotel you are booking but you can pick area and star ratings. I have had success with that before!

I booked the Comfort Suites Airport and Cruise for Friday Oct 20th, pre-cruise for $64 on hotelkingdom.com. A week later with the Boat Show, they increased the same room to $288. I originally booked the Ramada Inn Airport, post cruise, for Sat. Oct 28th when the Boat Show is on, for $117, but due to all the negative reports about this hotel on CC, I cancelled, decided to rent a car and booked the Hampton Inn, Plantation for $149

If you're booked into the Comfort Suites on Stirling, then you're booked into one of the dirtiest dumps of a hotel I've ever spent the night in. You'd be better off sleeping in the airport IMO>

If you're booked into the Comfort Suites on Stirling, then you're booked into one of the dirtiest dumps of a hotel I've ever spent the night in. You'd be better off sleeping in the airport IMO>

Doug,

No, It's not the one on Stirling, it's at 1800 S. Federal Hwy, close to all the "hub" hotels on SE 17th.

Archived