What do they have at the straw market?

I hope this is not a dumb question because I am sure that they have straw products. I was just wondering what all kinds of stuff do they make out of it. I also understand that there is a lot of haggling at said market. Is this true?

They do have straw purses and such, but they also have just about any kind of relatively inexpensive souvenir you might be looking for at this port. T-shirts, bathing suit wraps, costume jewelry, carved boxes, etc. Yes, there is haggling; pretty rare to pay the original asking price.

it's the typical tourist stuff you find at any port, it's just under one big hot and humid tent, dont pay the asking price, haggle with them, they always come down, if you dont like the haggled price, start to walk away, they will stop you and come down again...it's fun for an hour or so...

I hope this is not a dumb question because I am sure that they have straw products. I was just wondering what all kinds of stuff do they make out of it. I also understand that there is a lot of haggling at said market. Is this true?
my opinion,,,JUNK!!and all they do is hawk you to death:mad: ..very hot and humid also!!

Junk is right! Unless you really have a need to spend money on nothing much, a quick browse through is more than enough! (This applies not only to Nassau, but to the other ports (Panama, Costa Rica, etc...) where they have "natives" hawking their goods! I guess I'm just not into buying for buying's sake!

Well, I certainly agree about the hot and humid. There are lots of junkie type stuff and rip-offs of namebrand purses and the like.

However, there are also a couple of fellows who do carvings while you watch and I believe they are nice.

Am looking for the picture i had taken of the Straw Market in Nassau, i remeber cracking up because it was a picture of a "No Smoking" sign. Certain signs just should not even exist, this was one of them. I mean, c'mon, a cigarette in a market full of straw?.....OMG, these people should not even leave their house, let alone be left to wander around a straw market on their own.....:eek:

When I was there, I saw humongous man-eating size rats! Ugh! :eek: I wanted to RUN back to the ship.

There was a man hacking melons in half with a machete and selling it for the juice. The machete looked like it had been used on the rats. :eek: Ewwwww.

But - everyone was very friendly!

The straw market is the hottest place I have ever been. I bought a straw tote and the lady selling it stitches my name on the side with contrasting straw. The best place in Naussau is Atlantis. I wish we had spent all of our time there. :D

Archived