Looking for recommendations for Cozumel, Costa Maya, and Grand Cayman Snorkling

Beach Bound

Hi...we snorkeled with Eagle Ray Divers in Cozumel last week. Although the snorkeling wasn't the best we've seen, the trip was fun and our family had a great time. We did see some sea turtles, a sting ray and some dolphins, but the reefs we went to were pretty deep, so it wasn't as easy to see the colorful fish that were there. Great crew though...very accomodating, let us jump off the top deck of the boat, cleaned the masks and snorkels carefully, good conversations etc. We stopped for lunch at a little beach club...just hopped off the boat and waded in...decent hamburgers, quesidillas etc. I'd suggest them, all in all.

Was on the Valor 2 weeks ago and snorkeled with Maya Palms Resort in Costa Maya. You have to walk out the gates and down the street a little to catch a taxi -$20.00 ea way - and 45.00 ea for Maya Palms. We got there about 10:30 am - you can enjoy the pool and just looking around until 11:00 to snorkel. We did 45 min at one spot and another 45 at another. The reef is about 300 yds away from the beach so it's a quick ride on the boat to get there. Lunch 10.00 ea. The reef was beautiful and lots of fish - my favorite place! We also did Belize & Roatan. Be sure to pack a little something for jelly fish sting - there was a stray one that I met up with and had stings on my arms. Never thought it'd happen and it doesn't happen very often because the owner of the resort was there and was really shocked! Have a great time! Pedro is a great help at Maya Palm also!

Jean

I should be visiting these next week - Watch for my trip report when I get back. [i too stepped on a stingrays tail on a sandbar walking one morning down in Florida. It does indeed hurt alot and scares your father pretty good when you jump into his arms so he can carry you in to shore. I have a nice scar to this day.] That said - These stingrays are all awake and not sleeping on the reef and I have never read of a problem with the ones you feed in Grand Cayman so I will be there with Captain Bryan - Catamaran ride then a snorkel - very resonably priced.

My husband and I dive so we will be going out with EagleRay divers in Cozumel.

Belize - I am taking a cruise ship shore excursion .. It leaves from the ship and is also a Catamaran. I will let you know if it is more island time than snorkel. I signed up to use the Tiger power scooter to snorkel with I will include a review of the device if I get to use it. It is through Belize-Paradise.

Good luck on picking your snorkel trips.

I am so Excited!!

Carol

Beachbound, if you haven't snorkeled with the stingrays in Grand Cayman, it is really the thing to do while you're there. For snorkeling from shore, you can just walk down the street from the tenders to Eden Rocks or other dive shops along the waterfront. They will have equipment to rent (or, if you have your own, you can rent a locker) and you can just snorkel from their pier. Lots of fish.

I loved snorkeling at Xel Ha eco-park. I'm not sure how far it is from where you dock at Costa Maya. We docked at Calica. But it was very nice!

Also, it has been a couple of years but we snorkeled at Chankanaab Park in Cozumel. I don't know the status there since a hurricane hit, though.

And I recommend the stingray city tour. I always book through the ship since GC is a tender port.

Suzy

This is our first cruize , we love the beach and are also willing to take a tour to a location. I would be greatful for any help locating some great snorkling!

Hi,

I went 2 cozumel and grand caymen last year and loved cozumel so much I just got back from there a week ago and we also went 2 costa maya this time too.

I snorkled in all 3 spots, Grand caymen with capt bryan 2 stingray city it was awsome and not 2 be missed, it cost about 35.00 pp, they supply u with equipment but if you've ever snorkled b4, u know how much bodily fluids r involved and i would suggest taking your own, u can use their flippers.

they will have a person in the water with u and that person will go down and get a stingray 4 u 2 hold and get pics of(woohooooo!!!!) the shopping was just ok there, the locals seem more interested in taking your $ and getting u off the island, but VERY MUCH enjoyed stingray city.

Then we went 2 cozumel (after wilma) there was alot of damage but the snorkling can be done right from the beaches, we went 2 playa ouva last year and this(that's how much we LOVED IT THERE) We also went 2 playa corona also this last week, also very nice, both places were not tourist traps nor were they crowded, there may have been about 10 people there total, there is a small fee 2 use there beach but this also allows u 2 use there facilities, bar,restroom,lounge chairs,tables, resturant and bar service, at playa ouva it was free last year in dec, but we just went and they charged 7.00 pp(US) but gave u a free drink, so it worked out pretty even , the snorkling is good in both spots, we got 2 c an octopus and many colorful fish like needle fish,parrot fish, someone saw a tiny barracuda,but we didn't, and they will call a taxi 4 u when your ready 2 leave and head back 2 the ship.

I try not 2 use ship excursions as they r usually higher in cost and way 2 crowded 4 me, the good thing about ship excursions though is if your running late the ship won't leave u behind.

We did costa maya this year and thought we would be able 2 snorkle from the beaches from what i was reading and though u may be able 2 snorkle from the beaches, there is alot of boat traffic, so u may want 2 barter 4 a ride out 2 the reef, we were quoted 10.00 from 1 vendor and then 35.00 and that's when we found out about the boat traffic and not being able 2 go out past the booeys(sp?) for fear of being killed, but I did get the guy down from 35.00 pp for 40 minutes, it takes 10 minutes 2 and from the reef,got them down to 10.00 pp, it was very nice, we took a taxi 2 majahaul for 3.00pp(US) met up with joe who took care of us getting on the boat out too the reef, they wait with u and bring u back, when u get back u r welcome 2 use the facilities which have tables and chairs and resturant and bar service, then u can walk up and down the road 4 shopping, the poeple in cozumel take no 4 an answer better then costa maya, but I enjoyed both, u should barter with the vendors and wind up paying 1/2-1/3 of what they origianly quote u, be able and prepared 2 walk away, they will lower their prices.

Also, ADOLPHS MEAT TENDERIZER WORKS 4 JELLYFISH STINGS, not sure what works 4 stingray issues, just don't run your hand down their tail if u can avoid it, that's where the barbs r that get u.

Please feel free 2 e-mail me with any other questions christman27@bellsouth.net:D

We went to Grand Cayman in April with Costa Mediterranea. We decided upon reading reviews to do the snorkel trip with Moby Dick. They take you to Stingray City and the Barrier reef. The tour is about 2 hours. We had a blast. When you get off the Tender you will see a sign for Moby Dick, they have the group wait and then transport you to a bus and then a very informative bus ride about the Island to the Moby Dick. It is a much smaller group and when we were just leaving the Cruise ship tour just arrived. It was loaded with people and when we got back to the cruise ship we learned it had capsized. No one was hurt but they were thrown in the water. Things were ruined. We were so glad we did not go on that tour. Moby Dick crew were great, can't say enough, read other reviews on Trip Advisor or web site info@MobyDick.com. They also give you the option to stop at 7 Mile Beach on the way back...costs about $10 to get back to port (no Problem bus or taxi running all the time) would highly suggest this. Great Tiki bar for food and drinks right on the beach.... Cozumel great snorkeling on the Palanacar (sp)reef but since the storm not as good as before maybe the fish have come back. They have alot of snorkeling companys that are good...check out trip advisor and read other experiences on the snorkel trips...have fun and enjoy, it is a different world down there and we all have to respect it......

okay, so I am booked on the FOS that goes to the grand caymen, cozumel.. so thanks for all the snorkeling tips to those place. But does anyone have any advice for labadee and montego bay? My husband and I are big time snorkel fanatics!!! Thanks! :)

I should be visiting these next week - Watch for my trip report when I get back. [i too stepped on a stingrays tail on a sandbar walking one morning down in Florida. It does indeed hurt alot and scares your father pretty good when you jump into his arms so he can carry you in to shore. I have a nice scar to this day.] That said - These stingrays are all awake and not sleeping on the reef and I have never read of a problem with the ones you feed in Grand Cayman so I will be there with Captain Bryan - Catamaran ride then a snorkel - very resonably priced.

My husband and I dive so we will be going out with EagleRay divers in Cozumel.

Belize - I am taking a cruise ship shore excursion .. It leaves from the ship and is also a Catamaran. I will let you know if it is more island time than snorkel. I signed up to use the Tiger power scooter to snorkel with I will include a review of the device if I get to use it. It is through Belize-Paradise.

Good luck on picking your snorkel trips.

I am so Excited!!

Carol

Our first port was Belize. We took the ship’s excursion to Geoff’s Caye. The first part of the trip is a snorkel swim. Participants have the option of swimming from the shore if they are inexperienced or the more experienced can snorkel from the boat. My husband and I snorkeled from the boat and saw lots of fish. The coral all appears to be healthy.

Cozumel was the second port. We scheduled our own excursion with Eagle Ray Divers. The group was small and we chose the dive spots. We made two, sixty foot dives of about forty minutes each. The coral was breath taking. We enjoyed seeing big fish on this trip, a turtle was resting next to a barrel sponge and a nurse shark was sleeping under the edge of some coral. We saw the biggest grouper that I have ever seen. The snorkel group spotted turtles and a shark as well. The crew was friendly, helpful and very knowledgeable.

Grand Cayman was our last stop and we chose to go to Stingray city with Captain Bryan. The crew of the catamaran was very friendly and went out of their way to ensure we had a good time and had plenty of time with the Stingrays. It was a pleasant trip and the crew took time to show us the fish and coral. We saw two moray eels and the fish were very colorful. The Stingrays are fun for pictures and to see them swimming around very close is also lots of fun. Every tour will offer photos so bring about $30 if you think you want photos. The stingray that they choose to pick up is named and sits still in your arms for photos. Ours was named Shelly and she had extra food for her trouble.

I hope you have fun choosing your excursions and calm beautiful weather just like us.

Carol

Archived