FLL Hotel-In between Super Bowl & Boat Show

WiscCruiser

Adding to the ever growing discussions about pre-cruise hotels in Fort Lauderdale, here's my situation:

I've been designated to secure a one night pre-cruise hotel reservation for a group of ten friends sailing on the Coral Princess, 02/07/07. I'm told that week falls in between the Super Bowl one weekend & one of the many large area boat shows, the next. As such, hotels seem to be hard to come by and if available, expensive.

I was able to reserve 5 rooms at the Comfort Suites on Federal Highway, for $139.00 plus taxes. But frankly, I'm not thrilled with that choice. Would prefer to stay somewhere else down 17th St, closer to the port. So, here's my question:

1. Am I correct about the Super Bowl and the Boat Show?

2. Should I keep checking for a nicer hotel at a better price, or consider myself lucky and be satisfied with what I've got?

1. Am I correct about the Super Bowl and the Boat Show?

Yes. The Super Bowl is on 2/4/07 and the Boat Show is 2/15-2/19/07. Both events will have a tremendous impact on room availability.

2. Should I keep checking for a nicer hotel at a better price, or consider myself lucky and be satisfied with what I've got?

Do not give up what you have. Although it's not the 'best' hotel in FLL it's not the worst either. You will not find a better hotel at a better price. You'll find a better hotel at double or triple the price. That room rates will rise as those events get closer. You can always keep looking and if you find something better grab it but do not, I repeat, do not give up your existing reservations.;)

Bequia - Question, please.

We have booked Holiday Inn Express, on 17th for April 2007 - and the price is very much higher - over $200. Is this normal for this area during Spring?

I know that many folks use internet bidding, and seem to be doing better for this year, but it seems that after November, the prices begin to go up.

Thanks for any input.

I agree with Bequia. We are sailing on February 10th and most of the people on our cruise have had troubles finding good hotels for anything less than the $200 to $300 per night range. A few of us have managed to find steals because we kept looking, even after we'd booked our original room.

Keep your reservation and keep looking and you might be able to find a deal also.

Thanks for confirming what I thought was the case. I'm certainly not going to give up the $139 reservation at the Comfort Suites.

I am somewhat intrigued with the Amerisuites situation. If their transfer over to the new ownership and renovation has not occurred by the time we sail next February, I'm wondering if they might still be available on Valuetrips.com for $79.00. Information has it that reservations for next year will not be available on that website until October or November.

But the question is: "Would an unrenovated Amerisuites at $79.00 be comparable to the Comfort Suites at $139.00?"

Any thoughts from our resident Florida experts?

Bequia - Question, please.

We have booked Holiday Inn Express, on 17th for April 2007 - and the price is very much higher - over $200. Is this normal for this area during Spring?

That's normal for April. Besides spring break/Easter in April there's also conventions and cruisers. Hotels in Ft Lauderdale are enjoying near 100% occupancy so they'll charge what the market can bear. Anywhere else in the country that same HIX room would go for $49.

I am somewhat intrigued with the Amerisuites situation. If their transfer over to the new ownership and renovation has not occurred by the time we sail next February, I'm wondering if they might still be available on Valuetrips.com for $79.00. Information has it that reservations for next year will not be available on that website until October or November.

But the question is: "Would an unrenovated Amerisuites at $79.00 be comparable to the Comfort Suites at $139.00?"

Any thoughts from our resident Florida experts?

The ownership part is complete, Hyatt owns Amerisuites. When the renovations are complete and the hotel is rebranded Hyatt Place I think the rates will rise to what Marriott Courtyard and Hilton Garden Inn are charging. I'm sure they'll honor all ValueTrip reservations but I'll doubt they'll still participate with them when all is said and done. Just my humble opinion.

Sorry, I cannot answer your comparison question I've never stayed at either in FLL.

Archived