Tell me about Monarch of the Seas

If I can get it for cheap, my husband is sending a girlfriend and I on a short cruise for our 40th birthdays. She lives in California and I'm in the midwest, so I thought we could do the Baja cruise. I don't like the itinerary (did it on Carnival years ago), but we wouldn't be going for that. Tell me your impressions. Who usually goes on these 3-day cruises? We're looking for fun, but not too many young drunks.

Thanks for your input.

The Monarch is a great ship for the short cruise. Much better than Carnival (IMHO). The 3 nighter does get more of a party atmosphere, but I've never noticed any out of the ordinary drunkiness. The ship's only drawback are the very small cabins-- I suggest you book a category SO or better as the SO cabins are a good deal and offer plenty of room. If you're looking to save money then go for the lower categories, but be warned you'll have nothing more than 2 beds, small desk, bathroom and TV with little to no walking around room.

The food and service on the Monarch are also very good-- it's almost hard to sail this ship and not have a great time.

Pictures can be found at: http://community.webshots.com/user/rdeagazio

Awesome pictures Bob!!! The Monarch looks like a much classier and more beautiful ship than what we experienced on the Paradise a few years ago. What I saw on the Paradise (now cruising Baja California) was the Las Vegas glitz with the Bordello Reds versus a gorgeous marble and brass and painted in more subtle tones. The Monarch is 7 years older, but you wouldn't know based on your photos. We are looking forward to our first cruise on the Monarch in March.

The Monarch is older and has small cabins (yes, it's worth the upgrade to a superior oceanview cabin on deck 9) but RCI balances these disadvantages with an incredibly fun program that has something for everyone and great dinning experiences. People even dress up for the formal night with about 30-35 percent of the men in tux's. In just under two weeks DW and I doing our third four-nighter on the Monarch. The four night Baja cruise has the flavor of a longer cruise with three ports of call (no sea days). The ship's crew and activity staff are energetic and despite the pounding the ship receives by doing two itineraries a week, the ship looks good and is well maintained. We definitely give the Monarch and enthusiastic thumbs up.

We're about to take our 5th cruise on Monarch, so I guess you could say we enjoy her! The ship is old by current fleet standards, but the crew keeps her polished and clean (except for one nasty piece of astroturf on the pooldeck next to the bar:eek: ). She is scheduled to have her new bedding installed by mid-September (they've already started), although I don't know if they're going to change any of the other cabin decor, much of which is pretty dated.

A new executive chef came onboard sometime in 2005, and the quality of the food increased dramatically. We've always had wonderful service in the dining room, very efficient cabin service and prompt attention from the bar staff.

The shows are standard RCI fare, good performers but I can only watch Fast Forward so many times in this lifetime. The Dueling Pianos are very good and very funny, and the salsa band is great. Bolero's seems to be the place to be in the evening - the Viking Crown is deader than a doornail (doorknob?) at night. The Circuit Lounge gets a good crowd for Quest & the late night comic on the last night, but was very quiet in spite of a good DJ on Saturday night.

The drunks are all ages, not just young ones, LOL. It's a fun crowd, but generally not an out of control one, although last cruise I did see a woman of a "certain age" crawling across the dance floor in Bolero's on her belly.:eek: And there are always single high heels lying about the same dance floor in the morning (I can't imagine how those women don't notice that they're only wearing one 3-inch heel), so there is a certain measure of oblivion.

They have the Captain's Gala on formal nights, which I think is a really nice touch for such a short cruise. There's great music for dancing (DH & I are almost always the only ones out there for awhile), the Captain gives a short talk & introduces the senior staff and, of course, the drinks are on him!

People even dress up for the formal night with about 30-35 percent of the men in tux's.

That must be on the four-nighter. From what I have read, there are very few, if any tuxes on the three-nighter. I have even read that many guys don't even wear ties at all :eek: ;) :D . I will wear a suit and tie and don't really care what others wear.

BTW sharpie13, you will LOVE the Diamond Princess next year. We sailed her sister (Sapphire) last November and it was AWESOME!!!

Critterchick, you always make me smile!

If you can possibly swing it, go for the 4 nighter instead. That way, you get San Diego, then Catalina and stay onboard the ship while it is in Ensenada.

We've been on 3 times and definitely noticed a difference in pax and garb between the 3 and 4 night cruises. It's not a bad ship for the short market, Bob is correct, the cabins are tiny.

I don't notice a lot of drunks, but then my DH says I don't notice much of anything going on around me anymore.

Thanks for all the responses. Now it looks like we're going on the Sovereign of the Seas. My friend has free airfare, like me, so we decided on the Bahamas. I would love to lie on the beach on their private island. Also, she has another friend we have decided to invite and she has a friend, so there will be 4 of us. It will only cost each of us around $250 including taxes and I am a new RCL stockholder so I get a $50 credit. It will be a tight squeeze, but we'll just pretend we're back in college (or camping). We won't be in the cabin much anyway. I'll have to start a new thread asking about that ship now. It's nice to know that it's a nice ship. My DH and I would love to get back to California and take a 4 night there.

Okay you guys are scaring me, I am booked on the Monarch in cat F2, outside, deck 4. Which I picked because generally I like to be low and midship, and was worried about the motion on deck 9 and also the obstructed views. It can't be worse than a week in a 20 foot camping trailer? Can it?

The deck 9 cabins are all SO and about 30 sq. ft. larger than the lower outside cabins. The smaller cabins are fine, if you have the beds separated and if there are not more than 2 people in the cabin. Your cabin is about 121 sq. ft., including the bathroom and closet. Kind of like being inside a large walk-in closet.

The ships that sail the shorter markets are all older and while some of them have larger cabins (Carnival) the cabin size is not the best reason to choose a cruise.

hayesktrm, have a fun cruise with your girlfriends, you should have a lot of laughs. Don't read what I wrote about the cabins size ;)

Happy KS...thanks. I'm not going to show them pictures of the cabins beforehand. I'm just going to say they are VERY small. After a little alcohol, they won't care where they are sleeping. Don't tell my husband I said that, though.

Are the cabins on the Monarch the same size as the ones on Majesty? If so, we had an interior room on that ship and it was by no means "too small". Its not a ballroom either, but if I'm in my cabin, I'm probably in bed...for one reason or another.

Are the cabins on the Monarch the same size as the ones on Majesty? If so, we had an interior room on that ship and it was by no means "too small". Its not a ballroom either, but if I'm in my cabin, I'm probably in bed...for one reason or another.

Yes, Majesty, Monarch and Sovereign all have the same size cabins.

If I can get it for cheap, my husband is sending a girlfriend and I on a short cruise for our 40th birthdays. She lives in California and I'm in the midwest, so I thought we could do the Baja cruise. I don't like the itinerary (did it on Carnival years ago), but we wouldn't be going for that. Tell me your impressions. Who usually goes on these 3-day cruises? We're looking for fun, but not too many young drunks.

Thanks for your input.

After reading most of the replies in this thread and others, you will find that most people really like the Monarch even though it is aged. I am looking forward to being on it in January next year here, and did so due to the low, low cost. From what I can tell, it sounds like it is just what we are looking for: active nightlight, a touch of class at dinner, and outright fun. Sure I will miss my large balcony cabin that I have had on other ships like the Navigator, but this trip is for late night fun!

Oregon D & B -

You can still have your balcony. Get a JS on deck 10. We just go back a week and a half ago on the three day and had #1588 (last cabin aft on the port side.) Loved it.

I would say about 20% of the men wore a tux on the Formal night, about 45% wore suits or coat and ties, 5% wore ties with no jacket, 20% nice casual and 10% dressed like slobs.

Captains party in the Sound of Music theater was good. Free drinks for all. He is new to the ship and seems very friendly and approachable.

The ship is in excellent condition for her age. Very well maintained. There is plenty to do and there were very few obnoxious drunks. This does not mean that people were not having a good time by any means. Lots of laughter, fun and games.

Johnny O (AKA "Fluff Daddy") does a good job as Cruise Director and seems to keep things going.

I highly recommend the entertainment in Boleros. The Salsa Kings is a great band and we do enjoy the dualing piano guys.

This was our 2nd time on this cruise and ship and I am sure there will be more. It is a quick and easy escape for us and you can't beat the price.

Oregon D & B -

Captains party in the Sound of Music theater was good. Free drinks for all. He is new to the ship and seems very friendly and approachable.

You say that you were on just a week and a half ago. I would be interested to know who the Captain was on your cruise. The Captain that had the Monarch for his first contract went on Holiday, I believe on August 7th.

Could you let me know the name of the Captain.

Thanks

Rick

Oregon D & B -

You can still have your balcony. Get a JS on deck 10. We just go back a week and a half ago on the three day and had #1588 (last cabin aft on the port side.) Loved it.

...It is a quick and easy escape for us and you can't beat the price.

Thanks for the note. We are actually taking a friend along for his first time cruise, and wanted to go cheap. I remember my first when I said "I can't see why someone would pay for a balcony." Now I am saying, woe is me when I don't get one. But cost is the issue here, as this was a spur of the moment trip idea, just to get away for a few days.

Sounds like a fun boat. When I went on the Elation a few years back, the only thing that saved me was the piano man. Was comptemplating a relationship change, was not happy with our friends who went with us, and the guy at the piano kept me entertained for a week. Glad to hear that the piano bar brings out a lot of people! Same with Boleros.

Ahhh, now the wait...!

:D

Thanks for your input.

We are booked on a 3 day cruise on Monarch of the Seas at the start of march 07, got a great deal on a JS on deck ten. Having been on Soveriegn of the seas two years ago we know what to expect and it will be good, defo not as large as explorer of the seas but good value. Having a look at this web site i think we may be the only Brits on this cruise since it seems to be people for the West Coast of the States who go on these cruises.

:)

Archived