Dawn Review 8/12-819

marciefree

Just returned from the Dawn. This was our first time on NCL but we have cruised many times on other cruise lines. Embarkation and Debarkation on NCL are excellent. Probably the best we have ever seen. Sailing out of NY is wonderful! We dropped off our bags with the porter at around 12:00, parked our car in the parking lot, checked in and were on the ship by 12:30. Can't ask for anything more than that. We booked a mini-suite Deck 11. Cabin was nice, bathroom was excellent. Closet was good size with shelves on one side, two drawer dresser in the room. Only one plug in the cabin...bring a power strip if you plan on charging cameras, cell phones...Our biggest complaint about this trip was the food on the Dawn. The food in the main dining rooms and buffets was definately not up to par with other cruiselines. Actually, we thought it was terrible. Selection was awful, portion size was minimal (yes, you can order as many portions as you want) but quality was just not there. We did eat at Cagney's three times, which was terrific. We ended up eating there because we thought the food in the dining room was awful. We ate at Salsas which was very good. Blue Lagoon was very good. We did not eat at Le Bistro (not french food fans) so we cannot comment. As to the buffet, we ate lunch at the buffet every day. The food selection was minimal. Quality was lacking and taste was just ok. Overall, we felt the food was just ok except at the specialty restaurants. Even the desserts looked good, but did not taste like they looked. I didn't have to worry about gaining weight on this cruise, I actually lost 2 pounds!

Overall, the ship is beautiful, service is excellent the entertainment was very good...Second City was terrific, Bollywood was great...I am a huge fan of freestyle cruising and would love to try another NCL cruise but and now afraid to because of this experience. Just a word about the dress code...I saw very few people dressed up on "formal" nights. As a matter of fact, it was difficult to tell which nights were supposedly the formal nights by looking around the cruise or dining rooms. While there were a "few" men in tuxes and suits, it was too few to count. So, if you are looking for a cruise where you don't have to dress, this is it. It appears that anything goes. For us, we were looking to relax and that's what we did. One word about the pool and chair hogs....this itinerary is one of alot of sea days...unfortunately, there is not enough deck space or pool for the number of people on board...it is virtually impossible to get a chair at or near the pool unless you are willing to go out and "hog" one or many at 6:00 am as it appeared everyone else did. Some days it seemed that chairs were "reserved" all day and no one ever appeared to claim them! I'm not sure why they were ever reserved in the first place. But, that's why I take a balcony cabin and have it to myself, when necessary.

Our complaint was actually as to the quality of the food and meny choices. I think the selection of foods on the menu in the main dining rooms was very limited. I do not consider myself a picky eater but I found myself eating off of the standard menu the two nights we ate in the dining room (I had the salmon both nights) because I was unable to find anything on the menu that I was interested in eating. I found the salmon to be dry and tasteless. I also had the shrimp cocktail ("mini" shrimp), I think they should be embarrassed to serve these...the ceasar salad was tasty, vegetables were not bad...ice cream for dessert. The first night we ate in the dining room it was Captain's gala...my husband had the prime rib...he said it was ok, nothing special. The second night we ate in the dining room...it was Caribbean night. The only reason we ate there was because we were participating in the Murder Mystery (great fun!). There was absolutely nothing on the menu that I wanted to eat so I ordered the salmon again. My husband ordered the steak. He said it was virtually inedible. He requested it medium, expecting it to come out somewhat well done. It was so dry he could barely eat it. That night we ended up going to the Blue Lagoon and had fried rice and won ton soup after dinner...now that was good!

..Our biggest complaint about this trip was the food on the Dawn. The food in the main dining rooms and buffets was definately not up to par with other cruiselines. Actually, we thought it was terrible. Selection was awful, portion size was minimal (yes, you can order as many portions as you want

Overall I enjoyed the review BUT

I must admit I found this one of the most confusing reviews when it comes to food.

You rate the food at first as "terrible" then later as "OK". To me terrible means - spoiled or uncooked not "OK"

Selection was "awful" - to me that would mean nothing remotely edible to eat. Later you describe selection as "limited" - not quite the same as "awful" to me.

"Portion size was minimal" but as you yourself point out you can order as many portions as you like - so I don't understand why that would be a problem.

Having to order multi portions at dinner in order to fill up is not my idea of dining.

Do you order three main dishes at your local restaurant? Now that would be expensive and the resturant would noT have many repeat customers if they served food the size and quality of NCL.

I agree with the reviewer on NCL food. it seems they wanT you to eat in the extra charge restaurants.

I never see them advertise how nice and small their portions or show pictures of their shrimp cocktails.

Always boggles the mind to see words like "terrible" and "awful" and the like tossed around loosely in discussing cruise ship food. One wonders what these people are thinking.

Here's another view of the food on this exact cruise:

food/service: the service was impeccable. we tipped mostly all nights b/c of this. in fact, service was great everywhere around the ship including housekeeping,bartenders,etc. now, the food-- i have one word,superb!!! I have been known to be a picky eater and the food is great on this ship. we ate at teppanki, lebistro, sushi restaurant( 10 dollars all you can eat), bamboo, and the main dining rooms. all great but my favorite and not to be missed is lebistro.

It is interesting to see such diverse reviews of the same cruise, but that is why these are just "opinions". It should be noted that my negative review of the food was focused on the main dining rooms and the buffet. I did not eat at Bamboo, LeBistro or the sushi restaurant. This may explain the opposite reviews somewhat. I did say that the food at Cagneys was very good. In my opinion, the food selection, quality and quantity offered in the main dining room was sub par. To get a really good meal, it was necessary to pay $20-25 per person extra after already paying for your meals as part of your cruise fare. I wouldn't have to do that on another cruise line.

We just got off the Dawn on Saturday as well, and found the food to be fine. Sure the portions aren't huge, but they're enough to fill you. It always seemed like there was something appetizing on the main dining room menu. So, if you're heading on the Dawn, don't worry about eating!:)

Always boggles the mind to see words like "terrible" and "awful" and the like tossed around loosely in discussing cruise ship food. One wonders what these people are thinking.

These people are thinking and giving THEIR opinion on the food that THEY were served on THEIR cruise in the dining room that THEY were sitting.

This was a fair OPINION on their experience, nothing more. I feel that they should not be chastised for their opinion and put on the carpet for what is considered, by others, as not worth anything.

I value everyone`s opinion as their own and then I can make a judgment as to whether it would have merit TO ME.

As a meat eater, the gentleman`s steak was not prepared properly...does not matter to me..but it would to my husband.

When someone tells me the food was eatable...I cringe (Country Buffet) "Food was fine" does not mean anything to me. It may tell me that everything this person eats "Is fine":rolleyes: No merit to ME.

I value other cruiser`s opinions about food, and it is getting on my last nerve when they get jumped on. (Can you tell;) )

Off my soap box (for now:) )

Having to order multi portions at dinner in order to fill up is not my idea of dining.

Do you order three main dishes at your local restaurant? Now that would be expensive and the resturant would noT have many repeat customers if they served food the size and quality of NCL.

I agree with the reviewer on NCL food. it seems they wanT you to eat in the extra charge restaurants.

I never see them advertise how nice and small their portions or show pictures of their shrimp cocktails.

In all three of my NCL cruises I have never felt the need to order multi-portions (well OK I did order 2 desserts once) but some people have very large appetites I guess. I found portion size on NCL to be about the same as on my 3 non-NCL cruises.

Archived