Castaway at Malfini Beach

sutuz

Anyone done this excursion? Is it really as limited participation as the description claims? We're doing Freedom the first week in February, and the idea of a quiet few hours on a nice beach sounds great - if that's how it really plays out. I'll appreciate any information - thanks!

I did it a few years back and planning on doing it again this year. I loved it. There aren't many people there so it is very relaxing and calm. You get to take short boat ride to it that is fun too. I personally think it's worth the $60.

I just went in April and I really liked it. I chose the afternoon time because I don't like to wake early on vacation. That gave us plenty of time to have breakfast and walk around Labadee before having to meet. Our group was about 20 people which I believe was about maximum, no more could have fit on the boat. I enjoyed the boat ride a lot the guide gave us a lot of history of the Haiti. When we arrived we were given a free drink, floating mat and beach chair. There was enough room for everyone to be separated enough not to have anyone right next to you. After awhile some people were tired of swimming and I was the only one in the water for much of the time. My DH and I also took a hike up in the jungle behind the beach. If you decide to do that bring plenty of bug spray I was almost eaten alive.:o

Four of us did this excursion a couple of years ago and we really enjoyed ourselves. I don't know if the same people run it, but it was a mother and daughter who actually owned the beach. The daughter was really knowledgeable on Haitian history, she was doing research for a book she was writing about the island. I found it very interesting talking to her, as a matter of fact, I ended up spending about an hour listening to her stories. The cove they take you to is secluded and we enjoyed being away from the crowds for a few hours. We enjoyed snorkeling, floating on the mats and drinking from coconuts. To us, it was worth the money spent.

tO THE ORIGINAL POSTER,

Do not try and venture off up the mountains . Haiti is a very dangerous place and is not at all like Labadee where only RCCL passengers and crew are allowed on the grounds. They have armed guards surrounding (out of sight) to make sure no intruders get in. Not so on Malfini . Be cautious......

Also to the tourists that were just there could you tell me how big the beach is now ? When we were there it was only about 25 wide by 10 deep and did they clear the water up from the debris floating in it. This was cove that catches all the ocean debris and it had nowhere to go. These are the main reasons why I would not recommend it........at this time....

I was there last year. The beach was clean, but very small. I was not impressed and would not spend the money again. The bathroom is an out-house with a portotoilet. There are some very nice beach spots on Labadee if you walk further away from the beach areas.

Archived