What's so special about the Dawn?

Sandyrella

I see so many of you love the Dawn and have cruised her repeatedly so what makes her so special?

I have seen pictures and she sure does look like a beautiful ship but is it more than that? I don't think I'll have the opportunity to experience her before she moves to Miami so I am curious as to why you keep going back.

Thanks,

Sandy

I see so many of you love the Dawn and have cruised her repeatedly so what makes her so special?........Thanks,

Sandy

For me there is no one thing that makes the DAWN so special, it is the overall experience that has endeared me to her. There are little things like the crew on the DAWN always seems to have time for a smile and a hello or a "May I help you with something". The ease of travelling forward to aft on either port or starboard sides is nice but not DAWN specific. The decor is very upbeat and in some spaces a little over the top (those jester looking chairs in the Spinnaker :D ) but move a few spaces and the decor is very traditional (venetian). (Star Bar). A fridge in every cabin is nice as well. We do excursions although I truly believe that I could enjoy a DAWN cruise by never leaving the ship as well.

For me, the DAWN "experience" is what makes her special to me, although I have only been on 10 and 11 night cruises, I enjoy the extra choices I have had..rather than a rush to try to get everything onboard on a 6 or 7 nighter.

1. She was the first to bring year round cruising to New York- no more flying.

2. She brought free-style dining to a new level with the elegant Venetian, the intimate Impressions, the popular Salsa's and no less than 10 dining venues to suit every taste.

3. We have always enjoyed the best musicians in her various lounges- Pamala Stanley, Anna Y Los Vientos, Vladimir Krivian, Best of Friends, Selwyn Wright and big band dancing in Spinnakers.

4. The indoor lap pool and the cinema.

5. Consistently, the best staff we have ever enjoyed on any cruise ship

We will miss the Dawn when she leaves New York and have booked her final weekend cruise in October 2007 to bid her a fond farewell.

We will miss the Dawn when she leaves New York and have booked her final weekend cruise in October 2007 to bid her a fond farewell.

See you onboard :) Booked it this past weekend unless they come out with a great GEM transatlantic to NYC. I got one of the two aft facing BAs on deck 10 - the new ships don't have those special 135 sf balconies the best bargin at sea.

The Dawn is not without its warts but on balance a great ship with more important a great crew. They are very proud of the fact that the Dawn is the top rated ship in the fleet and the work to keep that ranking.

The dining options in my opinion better then the newer NCL ships. Impressions is a great space that is now the Bistro on the newer ships. Lots of smaller inside spaces that break up the passengers so you never feel like you are cruising with 2500 others. A grand dining room Venetian for those that want it. In general they have created a ship with diverse options that allow a wide range of people to find what makes them happy.

You will find folks from 1 to 90 all finding the things and places they enjoy. It is not all party or all rocking chairs but a well balance ship that appeals apparently to a wide fan base.

In general the dawn has the best inside space of any NCL ship.

The newer ships Jewel, Pearl. Gem have made improvements in the outside space. The Dawn pool area is too small in the summer and expanded on the new ships, The T-Rex kids area a waste of space for most passengers and has been turned into the Great Outdoors buffet and bar on the newer ships.

One other thing as many look to book another ship the fact that 10s of millions are a few hour drive away makes repeat cruising hard to pass up.

Hi,

We're planning a trip on NCL in Fall of 2008 to New England/Canada. I've been reading all about the Dawn but now I see she won't be there in 2008? What ship is replacing her? Dang! I was looking forward to being able to find my way around easily since we were on the Star in June to Alaska.

Thanks!

Fungirl3

Norwegian Star Alaska June 18-25, 2006

Hi,

We're planning a trip on NCL in Fall of 2008 to New England/Canada. I've been reading all about the Dawn but now I see she won't be there in 2008? What ship is replacing her? Dang! I was looking forward to being able to find my way around easily since we were on the Star in June to Alaska.

Thanks!

Fungirl3

Norwegian Star Alaska June 18-25, 2006

The Gem - A clone of the Pearl. Construction has just started.

Hi again,

Great comments about an apparently great ship! You almost have me convinced that I should book the Oct 26/07 Cruise to Nowhere just to give her a try :D. Come on, twist my arm.

We had thought about sailing the Spirit in March but that's now looking unlikely for a variety of reasons. I don't know if I can wait until 2008 to cruise again. The Cruise to Nowhere just might be enough to scratch that itch until March 2008 ...or will it just be a tease?

Gotta go work on DH on this one ;)

Sandy

We've been on the Dawn 3 times already. with our 4th is Sept. 2007 and every cruise a different itinerary! That's what's kept us repeaters.

Although we've cruised on other ships out of NYC (very convenient) we really like NCL Freestyle the best, combined with the beauty and variety on the Dawn and enjoy having dinner in a different dining room every night.

Although we'll really miss her, we look forward to the Gem, too.

It is a wonderful experience to start your vacation less than 2 hours from home. No airport chaos, no tight seated flights, no foodless flying! A quick trip thru the tunnel and on board for lunch. Sailing out of New York harbour, the Statue of Liberty, etc. it is like sightseeing before you leave the 1st port. With 5 Dawn sails completed, it is like coming home and meeting old friends with the Dawn Crew. So Far,,,it's the best, but I am open to seeing even better in the Gem and Pearl.

NCL has only posted the Dawn being replaced by the brand spanking new Gem for the winter season 2007-2008. There's always the possibility that the Dawn will return to New York to join the Gem for the summer 2008 season instead of the Spirit, or at a later season.

The Norway sailed from Miami for almost 23 years, off and on. I see no reason why the Dawn can't repeat that record.

I agree with all the posters. The Dawn is the best of the NCL ships I've been on. the Star a close second but being out of NYC with no airfare and the great sights at sailaway you can't beat that.

Archived