Probably dumb question concerning documentation

gstepic

We are going on our first cruise October 7th and was told we only need our birth cirtificates at this point. Do we need to bring the original or will a photo copy do?

Dang, i am soooooooooooo ready for that cruise. I work in financial aid at a large college and we are slammed from the get go as school just started. I cannot wait to get to that point when i can sleep in and have nothing to do, except for what we want to do.

We are going on our first cruise October 7th and was told we only need our birth cirtificates at this point. Do we need to bring the original or will a photo copy do?

You must have an original or certified state copy - some have embossed or raised state logos.

Dang, i am soooooooooooo ready for that cruise. I work in financial aid at a large college and we are slammed from the get go as school just started. I cannot wait to get to that point when i can sleep in and have nothing to do, except for what we want to do.

up until 12/31/06 you can use your birth certificate and driver's license. you do need the originial bc with the raised seal though. if you're planning on going on more cruises or whatnot in the next few years, you might want to consider just getting your passport before the fees for it go up again. JMO. I got mine...and it only took about 2 weeks. But i had mine expedited. It'd probably be well worth it.

The seals differ state to state. It can be raised or embossed or some distinguishing color. But it must be a certified copy. Certified by the state vital records (or similar) department.

In fact, photocopying a birth certificate is illegal, even if it is just for your own personal records. It's similar to photo copying currency. The chances of someone tearing apart a person's house looking for a photocopy of a BC is remote. But, just saying...;)

The seals differ state to state. It can be raised or embossed or some distinguishing color. But it must be a certified copy. Certified by the state vital records (or similar) department.

In fact, photocopying a birth certificate is illegal, even if it is just for your own personal records. It's similar to photo copying currency. The chances of someone tearing apart a person's house looking for a photocopy of a BC is remote. But, just saying...;)

I always carry photo copies of Passport / B C / Drivers license etc... in addition to the original . Keep originals is safe, use photo copies when out and about .

Never have had a problem getting back on board .

remember, the birth certificates with your cute little footprint and all that on it are useless...don't try to use those.

Only a CERTIFIED birth certificate with raised seal, embossed, or watermarked will do.

Plus a photo ID...DO NOT forget to take the photo ID into port with you, many ports will check them before allowing you back on ship.

Have fun!

I ordered one for myself and my wife and ordered from the proper agencies so they both have the seal and state they are not to be copied. Probably some time next year I will get passports as I assume I am going to like my first cruise and want to cruise again. Plus we often go to Mexico (just inside the border though) and I think I will now need a passport for that as well. I just wanted to know if I could leave the originals at home and even though from one post I read copies could be ok, it is just safer to bring the actual certified certificates.

Thanks for the input - Gary

I ordered one for myself and my wife and ordered from the proper agencies so they both have the seal and state they are not to be copied. Probably some time next year I will get passports as I assume I am going to like my first cruise and want to cruise again. Plus we often go to Mexico (just inside the border though) and I think I will now need a passport for that as well. I just wanted to know if I could leave the originals at home and even though from one post I read copies could be ok, it is just safer to bring the actual certified certificates.

Thanks for the input - Gary

You will have to have the original certified copy in hand to present with your documents to get your S&S card for boarding. I think the other person was referring to after they were onboard using a copy to carry with them when they go onshore in ports as an additional form of ID if necessary. You can lock the original in the safe in your cabin.

Also be sure it is the state/county issued birth certificate with raised seal NOT the hospital certificate with raised seal. The hospital certificate is not considered a valid document to use. Yes, it has to be the original.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Also be sure it is the state/county issued birth certificate with raised seal NOT the hospital certificate with raised seal. The hospital certificate is not considered a valid document to use. Yes, it has to be the original.

Have a wonderful cruise.

No, it does not have to be the original. My original birth certificate was lost long ago. It must be a certified copy, not just a photocopy. I got my replacement copy (along with a few extra for good measure) from the bureau of vital statistics in my county of birth.

I always carry photo copies of Passport / B C / Drivers license etc... in addition to the original . Keep originals is safe, use photo copies when out and about .

Never have had a problem getting back on board .

Depending on where you are, if you missed the ship due to an accident or illness, etc. having only photocopies of identification could be a problem because at that point, you are no longer considered as a cruise ship passenger in transit. I remember reading something along those lines from someone who had a huge problem in Belize. They didn't have a passport, missed the ship or something, and went through hell with the authorities over it.

Probably not extremely likely, but you never know.

The raised seal on mine has always been slight, and now after being squeezed in a file cabinet for many years, it's barely noticable. To make things worse, they printed it out on goldenrod paper with a pattern in the background. I wonder what would happen if I ran into an immigration official with bad eyes? :(

Does anyone know whether NY State is now using colored seals?

Archived