Will a true newbie like NCL Dawn?

DawnSfromNJ

We're taking our first cruise ever this Christmas on Royal Caribbean, but, would love to take a mid-winter escape out of NY without flying and, like the itineraries on NCL Dawn. What can you tell me about NCL Dawn? My main concerns are: food quality (seems to be a wide variety of opinions regarding quality in the reviews, we don't mind paying for the surcharge restaurants - just want to know which to hit and which to avoid); how small are the cabins, they seem smaller than other cruise ships; and, how rough will the seas be in February? Any and all information is needed and welcomed.

We're taking our first cruise ever this Christmas on Royal Caribbean, but, would love to take a mid-winter escape out of NY without flying and, like the itineraries on NCL Dawn. What can you tell me about NCL Dawn? My main concerns are: food quality (seems to be a wide variety of opinions regarding quality in the reviews, we don't mind paying for the surcharge restaurants - just want to know which to hit and which to avoid); how small are the cabins, they seem smaller than other cruise ships; and, how rough will the seas be in February? Any and all information is needed and welcomed.

Well Dawn.......there is so much information on the Dawn on this board I would suggest that you do the search button:) She is the favorite ship of this board.

For a little info.....the cabins are NOT smaller then other ships in general (RCI are the smallest in the industry) The Dawn is in the middle. Go to the NCL web site and you can find the size of the cabins as well as a lot of other useful info.

Having sailed in Feb. 3x.......the seas are fine:)

I would say yes. If you never done a traditional cruise you would love the freestyle concept.

Others that have done traditional sometimes have a hard time trying something new.

Others like me did the TD and are now addicted the the FS concept and LOVE all the choices and freedom.

I agree with the above poster...I have sailed on different lines and absolutly love the freestyle dining! I still cruise different ships, but do not like the traditional dining most have. The opinions on this board are a small minority of those that cruise, so I say go into it with an open mind and you will have a wonderful time! You are the one that will make the best decision for you. and as others have said...no cruise is a bad cruise!

I believe that you will have a very good time on the Dawn. I find cruising very enjoyable. This will give you something to compare your Christmas cruise to. You may prefer one line over another, which will you prefer, I have no idea, but it is fun to get a flavor of the different lines.

We did a back-to-back on the Dawn last February. We had also been on her the previous November. I think you will love her. We were happy with the food in the regular restaurants. We have tried the Bistro and Cagney's. Both are great.

The seas really can't be predicted. The only rough seas I can remember were coming back into NY from the first cruise when it was blizzarding (that was when they had 25 inches of snow in NY). Still it was an experience in a lifetime. Snow on the decks, crew members throwing snowballs - it was great.

We were late into port and the people getting on for the next cruise had a hard time getting to the port. We didn't leave until late and then only pulled out into the harbor. The ship needed to be refueled. We left at noon the next day. They compensated everyone with free drinks and ship credit. Believe it or not, it was fun. The people for the second cruise were so happy to be on board and leaving the snow!

I don't say this to make you think twice about the cruise - I just wanted to tell you that no matter what the weather, it can be a wonderful time.

The Dawn is one of our favorite ships. I say, go for it!

You should be able to find plenty of food that you like on the Dawn, whether it is fish and chips, wonton soup, lobster or chocolate fondue. You probably have had a number of better meals in New York City, but the quality of the food is nothing to complain about.

I highly suggest eating most meals in dining rooms and not in the buffet. Breakfast and lunch can be quiet in the main dining room, where waiters take your order and serve you, but busy and rushed at the buffet.

Archived