dumb question but ??????

When is the best time to put the luggage tags on???

when you leave home.

when you arrive at the ship.

the last night of the cruise.

I am flying in the day of from NY-San Juan I will be taking a cab to port

I know dumb question but not really sure.:D

It kind of depends on how you are travelling to the port.

By air.....sometimes you need to put it on before you check your baggage. OR at least when you claim it with the cruiseline representative at the baggage claim.

If by car or taxi, you can do that before you leave your hotel or home.

If at arrival of the ship, that would probably be determined that you are making your own arrangements to get to the port..and there are always luggage tags to be gotten from the porters even if you don't have your pre-printed ones.

My practice is to put the tags on prior to leaving my hotel for the ship.

Hope this helps a little

We fly in to our ports, and we put our tags on before we go to the ship. We used to put them on before our flight, but that was before 9/11. You have to personally pick up your luggage and then either take it to your transfer bus or your taxi.

As for the end of the cruise, you don't put any on.

If you are flying, you should NEVER put them on until you reach the last stop on your flight!!!!!!! Airline people do not like the confusion of their tags and others and will often tear off tags other than their own.

Put them on as you head for the ship/

Mocorobabe

Hello,

I work for an airline and I tell people to put their cruise tags on at the ticket counter or at home before they come to the airport. I work in an outstation and we do pull bags off flights for weight and balance reasons all the time. Especially with the average bag weight increasing and the number of passenegers they try to cram of the smaller regional jets these days.

So if a passenger has their cruise tags on their bags it'll let are ramp agents know these bags should be the last to be pulled off the aircraft. We do the same thing with international bags bags too. May not seem fair but it's can be really hard to reroute those bags to catch up with those passengers. Some international flight may only operate only a few flights a week. Same thing with cruise bags maybe only a three day cruise or without the tags might be hard to find where to deliver the bag when we forward it. If it has the cruise tag we can contact the cruise line and try to forward the bag to the ship.

Hope this helps,

Shan9700:)

Hello,

I work for an airline and I tell people to put their cruise tags on at the ticket counter or at home before they come to the airport. I work in an outstation and we do pull bags off flights for weight and balance reasons all the time. Especially with the average bag weight increasing and the number of passenegers they try to cram of the smaller regional jets these days.

So if a passenger has their cruise tags on their bags it'll let are ramp agents know these bags should be the last to be pulled off the aircraft. We do the same thing with international bags bags too. May not seem fair but it's can be really hard to reroute those bags to catch up with those passengers. Some international flight may only operate only a few flights a week. Same thing with cruise bags maybe only a three day cruise or without the tags might be hard to find where to deliver the bag when we forward it. If it has the cruise tag we can contact the cruise line and try to forward the bag to the ship.

Hope this helps,

Very interesting!

Our preference is right before we load onto the transfer bus to the pier. I love how the tag backs have the "do not remove this piece....." strip on the back of the tags. It creates good confusion for first timers I'm sure.

And they sure don't always line up very well especially when rushed.

Hello,

Hope this helps,

I've been told the same thing by multiple airline employees. The AA employee at the end of the cruise even told me to leave those tags on because they are extra identification.

NO! Don't put them on until AFTER your flight!!!!! I don't care what these "airline employees" say--You really risk having your bags lost if you have multiple tags on them!!! Just carry your ship tags with you and when you get your bags after your flight, put them on then!! (Nothing would be worse than having your luggage sent to somewhere in Ohio, while you're cruising about the Caribbean!!!!)

NO! Don't put them on until AFTER your flight!!!!! I don't care what these "airline employees" say--You really risk having your bags lost if you have multiple tags on them!!! Just carry your ship tags with you and when you get your bags after your flight, put them on then!! (Nothing would be worse than having your luggage sent to somewhere in Ohio, while you're cruising about the Caribbean!!!!)

CB - Do you have an practical experience or evidence that having these duplicate tags actually causes a problem, or is it just your opinion?

You are wrong CB. It would be different if it were another airline's tags, but how is having your cruise tags on the bag any different than having your own ID tags on the bags since there is no information relating to airports/flights/etc on any cruise tags that I've seen.

No question is ever dumb that you don't know the answer to....

We put on our luggage tags after our flight from Chicago to the departure port, after our cab drops us off and before the porters pounce on you (I know...you have to be quick!!). When we've done it before (at home, for instance), the tags were missing after landing in our departure city. I don't know if it's because of Chicago being one of the busiest airports, but we don't take chances anymore.

Just my 2 cents.

I will ALWAYS put mine on before getting on the plane! No offense cb but the airlines tried very hard to get my luggage to the cruise ship qhen it missed the connecting flight! As a matter of fact the ticket agent remembered our suitcases cause all she could do was watch our luggage as RC refused to pick it up until AFTER our ship left. RC doesn't even know why that happened! Fortunately our cases caught up with us in Jamaica. On the way home the ticket agent saw our cases and said I remember your suitcases! Did you enjoy your cruise? :D

With today's automated baggage equipment, it is looking to scan the bar code. If it scans your ship, you bag goes unidentified and has a good potential of NOT be on your flight.

It may be a hassle, but put your tags on when you claim your bags at the airport.

Are the luggage tags supposed to be mailed out to you? Sorry if this question is stupid but I'll be cruising for the first time next month!

This is not a stupid question. If you had your documents mailed to you, they will be in the packet. If you had them e-mailed, you will have to get them at the pier. There are porters there (whom you usually tip) who have luggage tags and pens to fill them out.

I put my tags on after I landed in San Juan and before I handed the bags over to RCI (we had purchased transfers) No offense to the airline employees here but I have a very good friend who works for an airline and she always warns me about any extra tag increasing the risk for luggage getting lost, even one that is not from another airline.

I always put my cruise tags on before I leave the hotel on the way to the pier. On the inside cover of my suitcase I have taped my name and address and when cruising my ship, sailing date , cabin number. I actually had the airline remove my cruise tags as I was checking in for my flight on my very first cruise so have been doing it this way since. If luggage is lost you will have to put a claim in anyway and they can then be notified that you are leaving on a cruise and which ship, ports, cabin etc. at that time.

This is what RCI has to say (from the Guest Ticket Booklet):

Please be sure to attach the enclosed ship baggage tags and any personal ID in the form of a nametag to each piece of luggage before you leave home.

Maybe you should call them and tell them they're giving out bad advice.

Archived