2 year old cruisin with a cast!

LawnGuylandGirl

My little granddaughter went down a slide the wrong way last weekend and broke her tibia. Yup, she will be in a full-leg cast for our entire family cruise on the Soverien sailing Sept 4. And after the cruise we go to Disney for 2 days!

Once of the reasons we chose RCCL was because of its Tots program, and while we understand that an adult has to be with her at all times, she's the only grandkid so there's never a lack of an aunt, uncle or grandma to accompany her. Has anyone had a toddler in this program? Is there enough to do for her with her cast on? She can scoot around on her tiny heinie, but there's no running, jumping or even standing. Will that impede her? Should I talk to those who actually run the program when we board and explain the situation and certainly give them a little something up front for the extra care she will require ---even though we are going to be with her?

And we knew that since she is not toilet trained,there'd be no pool time for her and we were willing to skirt around those areas so as not to tempt her. But now there is also no beach for her. We live near the ocean, thank goodness, so this is not her only opportunity to go to a beach but what would be a good "alternate" activity on port days? Or is there an excursion someone could recommend?

I realize this is quite long-winded and I'm asking a lot of open-ended questions! I guess I just want to know "Has anyone sailed with a toddler with a broken leg and how did you make it fun anyway?!"

Any advice, ideas or thoughts from experienced cruisers are most welcome! This is only my second cruise --- I loved the first one so much I decided to take all 4 kids, their significant others and the baby on this one!

Thank you all in advance. You are all so generous!

The RCCL aqua tots program is a little different than say the NCL kids club. Fisher Price Aqua Tots are actually only 45 minute sessions (I think they might only be once a day, can anyone confirm this?). And you're right, you would be right there with her.

On their site, they talk about some of the activities for that program if you would like to take a look at it

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/experiencetypes/experiencetype/experience/home.do;jsessionid=0000A8Cm2V-IpYgoW6VooYnQVH0:10ktdmods?br=R&exCode=114

I am sure she will be able to find something to do during the session. I feel sorry for the poor baby. My daughter is 2 and I know I would have a hard time tying her down even if her leg was broken. :(

Have a great cruise

crayons, washable markers, glitter glue, glue sticks, stickers, scrap paper, playdoh, children's scissors, color pencils,and construction paper with you on your cruise. Take advantage of the back-to-school sales at Kmart, Walmart, Target, Staples, OfficeMax, and Office Depot to get these inexpensive supplies. It doesn't have to be complicated because 2YO loose interest quickly. Sometimes stickers and a sticker book will do the trick. As her parents what her favorite past time (cutting, glue-ing, coloring?) is and plan accordingly. Besides, you'll need to find something for her to do while the adults read the menus as well.

Thin Scholastic books are good to have too for bedtime reading.

The thing is don't give everything to her at once. You can give her stickers for one day and something else for another day. Yes, Kids' Club may have some of this stuff, but you can do a lot of crafts in the comfort of your own cabin without her getting enticed by other kids running around her (as she is not able to move as much). Since many family members will be available to watch her, she doesn't really need to go to the kids' program if the program schedule indicates a more active programming for a particular day.

The whole point about the kids' program is that you can leave your child with the kids' counsellors and the parents can go off to do their own thing, i.e. free babysitting. If you can't just leave your granddaughter at the program (I think she's too young at 2 anyway) and another adult must accompany her in any case, you don't really need to bring her there....unless it's for her to use the equipment (board games, playdoh, legos, etc...) at the kids' facility.

What I found useful is to bring a portable DVD (with a charger) with you. Stock up on shows/DVD she enjoys (those she hasn't seen before). Blue's Clues, Dora the Explorer, Disney's Little Einstein (my personal favorite), LazyTown, and The Backyardigans are some of the shows a 2YO will enjoy. Movies such as Sound of Music, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, and Mary Poppins are good to have around too.

It's good to have the DVD player with you during dinners in the formal dining room. Since 2YOs eat fast, they will sit and watch a movie while the adults finish up a long dinner.

I'm not saying to make your 2YO watch lots of DVDs on a nice cruise, but on sea days, a 2-hour movie can take the edge off a bit from boredom.

On port days, just take your 2YO off the ship and walk around the port. As long as you take a comfortable lightweight stroller (for the toddler) with you, you'll have a nice time whether or not she goes to the beach.

With your toddler in a stroller, you can take her around the ship and explore the ship together.

A 2YO won't be able to retain the memory of this cruise, so you'll have to videotape and photograph her as much as you can. The key is to make her happy and comfortable so the adults accompanying her can have a great vacation as well.

Remember to bring off-the-counter children's drugs with you. Drugs such as Tylenol and/or Motrin, cough and cold medicine, Benedryl (for allergies), medicine for diarrhea, ointment for bug bites, antibiotics for cuts, liquid bandaid and regular bandaids are good to have around. Also bring lots of hand sanitizers with you. Wipe her hands down with handsanitizers all the time. She'll likely touch everything in sight (elevators, door knobs, etc...) and she'll likely crawl on the floor of her room. Cruiselines do not shampoo their carpets after each sailing, so you can imagine how dirty the carpet is. Sometimes, it's just not possible to wash hands right away, so hand sanitizer is the next best thing.

Since she has a broken Tibia, you may want to make sure you have medical coverage on her for the cruise, just in case. I'm not sure whether travel insurance covers pre-existing conditions, but the medical coverage at her parents' workplace may be enough medical coverage for this cruise.

Also, bring enough diapers and wet wipes as well as extra grocery store plastic bags or ziploc bags for dirty diapers. Ziploc bags are good for snacks as well. Make sure you bring your granddaughter's favorite snack with you to bribe her when she is acting up. There are plenty of food available on the ship, so I try to avoid bringing food on a cruise, even for my kids. ;) The kids can try the food on the ship. When they are hungry enough, they'll eat.

Of course, don't forget her favorite toy or blanket. My sister's toddler liked to sleep with her own pillow, so my sister packs the pillow case. It's a bummer that RCCL do not have self-service laundry like Princess, so you'll have to pack enough outfits for the child or bring a little laundry detergent and Spray 'n Wash stick to do a little laundry in the bathroom sink. I also pack a few children's sized plastic hangers (from Target or other children stores) to hang up children's clothes.

I also bring a tiny bottle of dishwashing detergent to wash the baby's sippy/juice cups and plastic plate/bowl. I bring extra sippy cups so I can store extra juice in the cabin's refrigerator.

Always wipe down the highchair (and the tray) that the dining room provides with sanitizing wipes before you put the baby down in the chair (another way to prevent commutable diseases). I've seen small children throw up on high chairs. I'm sure they have cleaned up as much as they can, but just to be safe, I always bring a bottle of Clorox/Lysol wipes with me to restaurants. I may sound kind of paranoid, but you don't want a child to suffer from diarrhea when you are on a cruise without self-laundry service.

There are lots to pack when you are travelling with a toddler, but if you are prepared, it'll be fun for all around.

Search for toddler's packing lists on this board. Many have posted on this subject.

WOW! Thank you so much for all this wonderful info and the well-thought out suggestions. I never thought of a portable DVD player --- Best Buy, here I come!

When my own kids were little and we went camping, each would be responsible for his/her "toy bag" and there was communal supplies, such as the crafts you describe. If it worked then, it should work now! I just have to think back to how we prepared for those camping trips and we should be ok.

Again, thank you all. I will post after the cruise and let yo uknow how we did.

Best,

grace

WOW! Thank you so much for all this wonderful info and the well-thought out suggestions. I never thought of a portable DVD player --- Best Buy, here I come!

We got our portable DVD player bundle (bag, charger, etc..) at Costco for around $200. They keep coming up with different bundles (larger screens, so more $$), but Costco generally has better deals and easier return policy.

Thanks again for all the hints, tips and tricks!

We got a super deal on an Audio Vox 7 inch player with 2 headphones and the case for $99 at BJs! Can't ask for better than that.

We also had a great time raiding the craft aisles at Target and came up with a duffel bag of goodies to bring with us.

I feel a whole lot better about it now.

Again, thank you all!

• 3 weeks later...

We just got back from the Sept 4 sailing of the Soveriegn with our 2 year old with the broken leg, our 24 year old with the leg surgery, and other assorted grown children and signifigant others. It was great!

Because of all the well-thought out advice given here, we were well-prepared with activities for the 2 year old and knew what to expect for the 24 year old. Everyone on the ship was more than accommodating; they were gracious and sincere in their desire to make the trip a good one for all of us.

And that DVD player is well worth the hundred bucks, especially in the dining room after the toddler was done buttering her bread, cutting her fruit, slurping up half her chocolate milk and spilling the other half --- while the rest of us had just started on our appetizers!

Thanks to you all and yes, we will be cruising again. This was without a doubt one of our most successful family vacations despite all the trials and tribs of those in casts and braces. There was something for everyone.

Best,

grace

Archived