Hidden Beaches?

HP_Lovecraft

Its probobly a counteractive question, since talking about a hidden beach will no longer make it hidden...

But, we are renting a Jeep. We are HOPING to "get away" from the other tourists, and find a nice secluded spot beach to relax.

I assume the east coast is less populated then the west coast? Are there any good spots to disappear? We are tempted to bring our own chairs, and picnic basket....

Nick

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by all of the beaches being "public." They don't all have beachclubs with food and drink. But, you can find little places off the beaten path where you can spread out a beach towel and relax and be very alone. No one will hassle you.

Just be very cautious about swimming on the eastside. If you want to do anything more than go ankle or mid-calf deep in the water then stick to the beaches that have clubs. The currents on the eastside can be very strong.

Scubamare is quite right, as usual, but allow me to be a bit more dramatic...

You've found the perfect spot on the east side of the island.... no one for miles, the sea is shining with the reflected sunlight. You beloved is beside you looking like never before... It's a bit warm, honey, let's take a dip in stunning turquoise waters.

Good bye! You're off on an unscheduled tour of... Cuba, never to return.

Seriously, swim ONLY at the established beach clubs where the currents and undertow have been determined to be minimal. Otherwise, even in knee deep waters, you can be swept out to sea. Isolation is a wonderful thing, until you need help. There are plenty of quiet places near beach clubs where you can stretch out, then walk to where there are people to do your swimming and cooling off.

Saving lives, one at a time...

Ditto to all the warnings...my friend and poker buddy, Jim, died on the other side a year ago this week. He was an experienced diver, underwater photographer and boogie-boarded frequently in the years that he lived here. Undertow still got him....BE CAREFUL!!!!

The eastern side of Cozumel is beautiful. There are miles of mostly empty beaches, and very few people.

Our favorite stop is Chen Rio. There are palapas for shade, good food and drinks (inexpensive), and a small beach protected by a rock jetty. Usually no cruise ship passengers, no pushy vendors, and very nice people, locals and tourists.

Coconuts is about a mile north of Chen Rio. It is on a bluff overlooking the Gulf, and a little more "civilized" than Chen Rio. You can walk down to the beach, but I would join the other posters in warning about currents and undertows.

I got the message: East coast = danger

It is what I was looking for though- Just a place to relax without all the crazyness of the western side.

After all the "relaxing", we can drive over to Paradise Beach, and jump in the water...

Nick

• 2 weeks later...

Was at ChenRio 2 years ago, drove around the island and stopped there for a few hours, ate a great lunch, staff spoke some English (I spoke some Spanish). There are tables with umbrellas and shade, a bathroom, a nice screened 2 story building to eat lunch). The water is very shallow, there are very small areas to snorkel in the shallow water that kids can snorkel at. Not too many people were there, mostly locals, actually. A nice place to just lay on the beach. Then go to Paradise Beach to swim and goof off on the iceberg and stuff (my extended family went there last week when we were on the Caribbean Princess). Sorry to hear about your friend, Tom. (Someone from the Ft. Worth area died last week, I think at Playa del Carmen--boogeyboarding, a wave dumped him on his neck.) HP Lovecraft, hope you find what your're looking for.

Archived